Install image from usb?

anarkhy

# Run CMD.EXE and type the following. Note: This set of commands assumes that the USB flash drive is addressed as "disk 1". you should double check that by doing a list of the disks (type "list disk") before cleaning it. If you have multiple hard drives, like an SDFlash drive or a Multibay drive, you could end up wiping your second drive using this command.

1. diskpart

2. select disk 1

3. clean

4. create partition primary

5. select partition 1

6. active

7. format fs=fat32

8. assign

9. exit

# Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

Simply issue the following command to start copying all the content from the Windows Vista DVD to your newly formatted high speed flash drive.

* xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\

-----------

got the above off some site i forgot which one, hope it helps

Edited by arvind

# Run CMD.EXE and type the following. Note: This set of commands assumes that the USB flash drive is addressed as "disk 1". you should double check that by doing a list of the disks (type "list disk") before cleaning it. If you have multiple hard drives, like an SDFlash drive or a Multibay drive, you could end up wiping your second drive using this command.

1. diskpart

2. select disk 1

3. clean

4. create partition primary

5. select partition 1

6. active

7. format fs=fat32

8. assign

9. exit

# Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

Simply issue the following command to start copying all the content from the Windows Vista DVD to your newly formatted high speed flash drive.

* xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\

-----------

got the above off some site i forgot which one, hope it helps

if you have trouble booting from the USB flash drive try formating to NTFS,

My Gigabyte motherboard wont boot from a fat32 usb drive, has to be NTFS

also do a quick format or you'll have to wait a loooonnnngggg time.

format quick fs=ntfs

would be the way togo IMHO.

Just be sure to us a fast USB stick, one that can also handle ready boost should be fast enough. Or you can use HDTune to test the speed and use one with atleast 15-20MB/s. I'm using a Pendrive Compact II which does about 25/25 read/write and the speed inscrease is so much you can not go back using DVD's. Install time is about 5-15mins depending on the machine and how much you strip out. Also once it is formatted and bootable there's no need todo it again, unless you format it again in XP/Vista the normal way. On my stick I have another folder with WinPE 2.0 and some toold which I can boot into by moving the files out of the there to the root of the stick and put the Vista installs in nother folder on the stick, or delete them. Trust me, the speed inscreae when you use a decent speed stick is truly amazing!

I've tried installing Vista to one of my USB HD's by restoring a backup on it. It would not boot, tried to fix it using a Vista DVD and even tho it fixed something it still did not boot. Maybe a full install would work, I have not tried that nor have I tried XP or Win2k3. Let us know how it goes, it is a nice thing. Tho once installed you might have problems plugging it in to another box and boot up windows. Drivers, activation, etc, etc.

Edited by blerk