Random STOP errors: 0x0000008e

nèèp

Hi all! it's my first post in this forum and maybe you can give me help. XP crashes randomly ,about once a week, and the error shown is 0x0000008e. i've been having this error for about a year so i can't discover if it's caused by a driver/software. this error appears sometimes not when i'm doing something in particular. i tried to:

1)run a test for RAM (memtest)2 times for 6 hours without errors

2)updated all the drivers (they were already updated however)

3)cleaned the dust inside and seen if there's was something wrong but couldn't find anything in the case

however the problem is still here. at kaspersky's forum (i thought it could be the antivirus the problem) they analyzed some minidumps files but they only discovered that the cause was win32k.sys,very common problem. so they suggested to analyze the full dump file,but they weren't able to do that... can you help me in any way with these files? or can you suggest a site (is this the official microsoft forum?) where i can solve this issue?

thanks for attention,bye :thumbup

PS: there are many interesting things here!good work!

Edited by nèèp

If you have a full dump, put it somewhere we can download it. A STOP 0x8E is going to point to some kernel driver or application that caused an exception that was unhandled (for whatever reason) - any exception in kernel-mode that is unhandled will behave the same as a user-mode exception that is unhandled, the application will crash. Since the "application" in this case is the running kernel, you can imagine that would be bad and cause a bugcheck :P.

Anyway, put the full .dmp file where we can get to it, and maybe we can help. Also note that this is most likely not a hardware problem, but some driver on the system misbehaving. If your memory tested out OK, and your other components are working fine (hardware-wise), then you can pretty safely ignore any potential hardware problems. This bugcheck speaks to a kernel driver, and as such, that'll be where we'll start looking.

hmm, i can't find any memory dump file in the folder of windows (C:\windows). on kaspersky's forum they told me that i had to modify an option to create a full dump file instead of a minidump one....is it the truth?how can i do that? thanks for the quick reply

ok,the next time i get the BSOD i follow the steps and post the result.now i dont' know if i want another error as soon as possible or as late as possible... :P

however the strange thing is that these errors are very random and i can't connect them with any particularoperation i do. i forgot to say that i've got a good antivirus and some antispyware programs always updated and the scans found nothing

Edited by nèèp

ok,the next time i get the BSOD i follow the steps and post the result.now i dont' know if i want another error as soon as possible or as late as possible... :P

however the strange thing is that these errors are very random and i can't connect them with any particularoperation i do. i forgot to say that i've got a good antivirus and some antispyware programs always updated and the scans found nothing

You need to follow the steps to enable complete dumps of the machine (and reboot) BEFORE the BSOD, otherwise you will get no data.