Backing up IE7 Favorites sort order

penguin32

Hi, when I had IE6 the method outlined below worked perfectly to backup the Favorites sort order (to make it clear, I'm not referring to backing up the Favorites which can be done from within IE using File/Import-Export, I'm referring to being able to back them up so I can later restore them in the EXACT same custom sort order as originally, so I don't have to manually drag hundreds of bookmarks to the order in which they were originally).

Sort order is not preserved when you transfer favorites to another PC

If you use the Import/Export Wizard or manually copy the URL favorites to another system, the sort order will not be copied to the target system. This is because Windows stores the sort order in the registry. Neither the Import/Export Wizard or manual copy operation will reference the sort order registry key.

In order to have the sort order applied to the other PC, export the following registry from the source PC:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Favorites

Save the above key as a REG file and apply this in the other computer. The sort order is now copied/overwritten.

The issue is that in IE7 I checked that resgistry key but it seems to not have the favorites in the original sort order but ordered alphabetically. So how can I do it in IE7? Thanks