Problem Streaming Videos

Sithtiger

I'm having a problem streaming videos in Vista. When I go to stream something it loads them whole thing into a temp file first and then runs the vid. I had an accident... was dual installing both Vista and Ubuntu and now I've reinstalled both. Prior to the reformat I didn't have a problem with streaming vids. I'd click on it and it would load up in about a second and stream. Now it fully loads and it doesn't stream at all. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to get this work again? I have Vista SP1 x64 and had SP1 installed previously too, so it's not that.

Here's the error that I get: "The file you are downloading cannot be opened by the default program. It is either corrupted or it has an incorrect file type. As a security precaution, it is recommended that you cancel the download."

I don't understand...prior to reformat, I was able to watch streaming videos just fine but now I can't. Some video formats do run, but they too have problems. Before they run though, they completely download to a temporary folder. What gives?

Thanks in advance!

**FIXED**

OK, I figured out how to fix it. I had to reset all the Windows programs back to their default. I didn't think to do this earlier because I had already done this, but just to WMP only. For whatever reason, it doesn't work unless you just reset everything back to the install defaults.

So to recap, if WMP suddenly stops playing WMV or Mpeg files and you get this message "The file you are downloading cannot be opened by the default program. It is either corrupted or it has an incorrect file type. As a security precaution, it is recommended that you cancel the dowload." Then you have to do reset Windows back to factory settings. Start -> Default Programs -> Set Program Access and Computer Defaults. Then click on Microsoft and then click OK and it should fix it assuming you have the same problem.

Another fix is to go your run field and type this in: regsvr32 wmp.dll

It's a kind of reset too, but this one didn't work for me, but it worked for many people at the Microsoft TechNet forums.

Edited by Sithtiger