the SP3 bandwagon

jftuga

I was just wondering what other mid-sized organizations with 200-500 computers are planning on doing with SP3. We are using WSUS to manage our monthly updates to our client XP systems. We may approve & push out SP3 when is becomes available through the WSUS channel.

If you run SP2 + all of the patches, what is the rush to get to XP3? I can see using it for a new Ghost image or somethin similar, but I just don't see us cranking this out any time soon. So am very curious as to what other IT managers will be doing with SP3.

Thanks,

-John

Ive slipped SP3 into my install sources and will apply it in WSUS in groups (usually 1 department at a time for large updates) the only reason I wont be pushing SP3 to a large group is i dont have a large enough flock of tech support monkeys to clean up after it if it bombs somehow. If you have a dedicated helpdesk that can CYA if something goes wrong, you could risk deploying to a larger group but as you stated there is no rush to get to SP3. unless you just wanna get your last XP service pack out the door :)

This is exactly how I feel--I'll definately be using slipstreamed SP3 on my new images, but won't be pushing it out to the masses via WSUS. One of the main reasons for that is because I create my images using an nLited XP source, with some components removed. Installing SP3 over my old SP2 XP seems to break some things.

How does June 10 play into all of this (when they start pushing it through automatic updates)? Does that push to WSUS as well, or for those that don't want to deploy before then they have to run the blocker tool?

well the term 'push to wsus' is wrong. updates are made available to WSUS and approved (or Not approved) locally.

It showed up on my WSUS on tuesday but so far, its approved only for the IT and Mobile(laptops) groups. once i get 100% compliance in both groups, ill throw it at another department. eventually i'll see 100% compliance across all groups but im in no rush to get there.

but yeah if you are using automatic updates on your clients and havent set them up with wsus, then theyre gonna get it on June 10th