Slipstreaming SP3 on Pre SP1 Windows XP

rip

Microsoft has stated that SP3 can be applied to Windows versions SP1 and SP2.

My problem is that my Windows XP is a version before SP1

So to slipstream Sp3, do I need to first slipstream Sp2 and then once again Slipstream Sp3?

I just did the following comparison (all direct slipstreams):

RTM -> SP3

RTM -> SP2 -> SP3

I compared all files with a synchronization program (ViceVersa pro). The differences were in the following files:

-GUITRN_A.DL_, MIGISM_A.DL_, MIGWIZ_A.EX_, MMC.CH_, MSTSC.CH_, MSTSC.EX_, MSTSCAX.DL_, RDSKTPW.CH_, SCRIPT_A.DL_, SYSMOD_A.DL_,

-TSCUPGRD.EX_, XPTHT41W.HT_

For now I assume that all those files are obsolete (otherwise they would have been updated to the same version, why would MS skip just these few)

Also SP2.CAB is left in after SP2 but can be deleted in SP3.

Edit: I also found that MSRDP.CA_ is no longer updated in SP3 and can be deleted if the msrdp.cab line in DOSNET.inf is deleted as well. And there is more... keep reading my posts.

These guys and gals from MS keep surprising us with their "easter eggs". Maybe they are preparing a service pack for this SP3.

I had not the slightest trouble with a vanilla RTM -> SP3 install after deleting all those obsolete files (making "RTM -> SP3" and "RTM -> SP2 -> SP3" identical).

Edited by BikinDutchman

What would be the definitive answer to slipstreaming SP3 on XP w/o any SP?

The reason I am asking is that although the slipstream process completes without errors and that the resulting CD image can be installed correctly, there is still the possibility of some malfunction.

In an MS VirtualPC session, I installated XP PRO Retail w/o any SP. I then attempted to install SP3 (using the same exe I use with nLite) but I got an error message stating that the current OS must be at SP1 or greter. See attachement image. This means to me that MS cannot update XP PRO w/o SP with SP3 for unknown reasons. Why would it be OK to slipstream it? Those two methods should be functionnaly equivalent. One could question how cumulative SP3 is.

I wanted to see what updates Windows Update would list for XP Pro w/o SP, but I would had to perform an activation which I didi not want to do at this time. I do not have a n XP Pro Retail @ SP2.

Edit: I just found the answer in this post: http://www.msfn.org/board/windows-xp-sp0-s...st&p=761207

*** Just ignore my question ***

post-191542-1210709209_thumb.jpg

Edited by gjn

• 10 months later...

Still not convinced. I have done (without nLite) SP1->SP3, but my thoughts are these, and they are more about terminology:

- Yes, if you go to Windows Update with XP SP1, they won't show SP3, but SP2 for download.

- Microsoft claims SP1 is the minimum for SP3, but "recommends" SP2 prior to SP3 (I distinctly remember a lot of forums talking about this at the period of the final release of SP3). This confuses me. MS's terminology is so non-evasive that they "recommend" even Critical Updates and patches.

I've decided not to listen to the advices of those more experienced than me about this and here's what I did (I hope johnhc won't stop answering my posts after this :unsure: ):

I took my XP PRO SP1 CD, used nLite, slipstreamed SP2 and THEN SP3 and it works every time! (Installed on VirtualPC at least 30 times)

I would really like to hear all of your thoughts on this. No words can describe how much I've learned by just reading these posts; hope I can give something back.

It is no real problem to slipstream first SP2 and then SP3 after.

But you get a bunch of files you don`t need like SP2.cab,

so your XPCD grows up about 10-20mb, which is okay but not wanted or nessecary.

Read Post #4.

You should slipstream sp2 first then sp3. Here is a quote from this site to help explan the process. Even Ms recommend you start with at least sp1 first. It seems that you can indeed do sp2 first then sp3 on a sp0 disc, however I would use the direct method in the link below instead of using nlite or ryan for this part and then make a bootable wxp_sp3 disc as your new source for any addons and nlite.

“Windows XP (Gold): Slipstreaming SP3 seemed to work fine... untill it came to the point I had to activate Windows XP. It would not activate XP over the Internet & could also not update via the phone using the automated system. I didn't speak to a live person about it though. Without activating I couldn't use Windows Update without activating.

Windows XP + SP2: Slipstreaming SP3 worked fine. I also was able to skip putting in the product key during installation (which was not an option with the XP gold 'slipstreamed' version). I had to activate to use Windows Update - which worked without a problem using the Internet activation - but I didn't get any errors on Windows Update, and updates where provided. “

See here http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/S...ice_Pack_3.html

Sorry, but I disagree with SilverArrow and g-force. If you are installing SPs on a running Windows XP, then you need to install each in order. If you are slipstreaming (as nLite does), then you slipstream ONLY SP3, no matter what your starting point is. If this does not work for you, then please open a new topic and post your particulars and we will try to determine the problem. Enjoy and sorry, John.

I didn`t talk about INSTALLING SP3 in this thread, just about SLIPSTREAMING.

You can slipstream SP3 into RTM (SP0) - I do this since SP3 v.3311 was released, no problem.

If you need to install SP3 on a running system, first SP1 or SP2 is needed, not both.

SP1, SP2, then SP3 in order is neither needed in Slipstreaming nor Installation.

g-force, I think we have seen problems here that go away when the user quits slipstreaming more than one SP. If you will look at your signature, even you say to integrate only one SP. Gotcha -he he. Have fun - I am, John.

It is no real problem to slipstream first SP2 and then SP3 after.

But you get a bunch of files you don`t need like SP2.cab,

so your XPCD grows up about 10-20mb, which is okay but not wanted or nessecary.

Meaning is, that it`s possible - but not the best solution.

And there`s no need for integrate more than one SP.

I`ve done a lot of tests since SP3 v.3311, it`s proofed.

First MS stipulates that you must have at least sp1 before adding sp3. If you have a disc with without any services packs then you can and should add sp2 to your sp0 disc (sp1 in not necessary as sp2 is cumulative.) Then add sp3 and make a bootable disc.

Nlite will "integrate" it properly, but will not clean up the duplicate files. See here for more info http://www.msfn.org/board/Integrating-SP3-...ml&p=756404

See here for instructions on direct slipstreaming, making a bootable disc, and the results of what happens when you go from sp0 to slipstream sp3 directly without any prior service packs. http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/S...ice_Pack_3.html

OK here are my findings:

XP Gold iso size = 492 megs

XP SP1a iso size = 507 megs

XP SP2 iso size = 582 megs

XP SP1a + SP2 iso size = 594 megs

XP SP1a + SP2 + SP3 iso size = 624 megs

XP SP3 iso size = 593 megs

Total wasted space with all 3 packs? = 31 megs

Total size gain from XP gold to SP3 = 101 megs

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian