slim down office 2003

dreamz

is there anything like nlite for office 2003? i'd like to go through and remove all the components and files i don't use. i've already tried office shrinker, but it unfortunately did not work for me (kept creating a 7mb folder and failed to copy anything over).

thanks!

thanks for the reply. unfortunately, clicking the link brings me to a page saying:

Sorry, this account has not been confirmed.

The user who uploaded this file has not confirmed his or her e-mail address, so this file is temporarily unavailable. When the user's account is confirmed, you'll be able to download it again. If you have any questions, e-mail us at support@divshare.com.

do you know where i can find the actual application?

the link is not right... it says..

Sorry, this account has not been confirmed.

The user who uploaded this file has not confirmed his or her e-mail address, so this file is temporarily unavailable. When the user's account is confirmed, you'll be able to download it again. If you have any questions, e-mail us at support@divshare.com.

could u upload it to rapidshare?

thank you, mara-. i was able to download the file.

unfortunately, i still have the same issue. office shrinker creates a 7mb directory.

am i doing something wrong? here's what i did (in a virtual machine):

1. copied office 2003 source to a folder on my desktop and created a target directory.

2. using office resource kit, i created unattended.mst.

3. i copied the mst file to my virtual machine and placed it in the source folder.

4. executed office shrinker and followed instructions.

5. waited until a popup said that shrinking was complete.

i'm attaching the log files. any ideas?

office.txt

office2.txt

shrink.txt

Edited by dreamz

Long time ago I used shrinker and I managed to reduce my Office 2003 SP3 and I had to manually add some missing files, but I never got 7MB folder. Maybe Shrinker have some problem with spaces in path. Try to move your file from desktop to c disk and make sure that there is no spaces in path. If this does not work I don't know what else could be the problem.

Cheers ;)

thank you, mara-! that was it. i removed the spaces and it worked perfectly. i can't believe it didn't occur to me to rename the folders.

one last question. my office folder in the program files directory is around 76mb, but in add/remove programs, it says 161mb. what's the explanation for the discrepancy?

Hi,

Office shrinker does work well on Orifice2003.

7Mb folder is the most common failure from its use and usually results from trying to use it on a "non-clean" Windows installation. I was not certain where you said you created your MST file - don't do this on your virtual clean system.

There was also some problems about running it on a machine with .NET installed - I can't recall if it should be or shouldn't!!! What does come to mind is that however the machine is that you create on - your final machine MUST be exactly the same.

Also, I know this sounds strange but, try to slow down your virtual PC a little (maybe allocate less memory?) Shrinker is written in AutoIt script and does a hell of a lot of file read/writes. It only needs one to fail and your build is fubar ed.

Keep trying - it is worth it - my office install is down to around 125Mb (7zipped) for Word, PPoint, Excel, Access & Outlook. I just wish I could get it to work with Frontpage and Publisher.

hi <spartacus>, i see you posted just after i did. office shrinker worked perfectly. the problem had to do with naming. so simple!

Edited by dreamz

thank you, mara-! that was it. i removed the spaces and it worked perfectly. i can't believe it didn't occur to me to rename the folders.

one last question. my office folder in the program files directory is around 76mb, but in add/remove programs, it says 161mb. what's the explanation for the discrepancy?

Glad that you got it working.

Now, not everything is installed in Program Files\Microsoft Office. There is something in Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE11. Also there is few files in Documents and Settings\user account name\Application Data and in Documents and Settings\user account name\Local Settings\Application Data.

Cheers ;)

Edited by mara-

thanks, mara-. the common files directory shows an additional 20mb and the other two directories together add up to another 45kb or so, which means 70mb of data are unaccounted for. oh well, it's not that big a deal.