Windows XP Media Center Edition and SP3

Hi All

please help

i have Windows XP Media Center Edition in 2 CDs , how can i make it in one DVD

And how can i put SP3 in this DVD with my drivers , by nlite or others

thanks for help

SP3 can not be integrated to media center edition.

For drivers use nLite, page "Drivers". Make sure that all of your drivers are extracted because nLite search for .inf file.

To merge two CD's just copy all files from CD1 and CD2 to same folder on hard drive.

Cheers ;)

Edited by mara-

For drivers use nLite, page "Drivers". Make sure that all of your drivers are extracted because nLite search for .inf file.

To merge two CD's just copy all files from CD1 and CD2 to same folder on hard drive.

Cheers ;)

Is this a fact the MCE cannot be slipstreamed with xp sp3?

I have just attempted to do this and it trashes internet explorer!

Because MCE2005 includes WMP10 and SP3 only includes WMP9 the slipstream can't work. The files required for WMP9 and WMP10 are different, but it is the service pack that decides which files will be installed, because the service pack may include new files of its own. Since XP isn't componentized, it's either the MCE2005 file list without service pack resource files, or the SP3 file list without WMP10. Neither will work, though it should be possible to merge DOSNET.INF and TXTSETUP.SIF manually.

The XPSP3 team screwed up big time.

• 1 month later...

after installing windows media center SP2, windows update wants to install sp3 with 66MB ( not 316 MB). is there any way to download this pakage ( 66 MB ) and integrate it with windows?

I think with this way, we wont have media player problem.

This is false. As a programmer, The code behind the file can be changed and allow the user to copy CD2 contents into CD1

Futhermore CD 1 uses XP Pro Service Pack 2 to install onto the Hard Drive

You have got a max of 1.7GB of network connectivity to download updates and enhancements for MC2005

Edited by Walchinc

• 3 months later...

Cheers ;)

It CAN be integrated with SP3. I did it. Didnt trash IE or anything. I do have a MCE with only 1 CD - I got it from MSDN. You have to use cdimage, microsoft's software for creating files into ISOs. It optimizes the files.

SP3 can not be integrated to media center edition.For drivers use nLite, page "Drivers". Make sure that all of your drivers are extracted because nLite search for .inf file.To merge two CD's just copy all files from CD1 and CD2 to same folder on hard drive.

Cheers ;)

It CAN be integrated with SP3. I did it. Didnt trash IE or anything. I do have a MCE with only 1 CD - I got it from MSDN. You have to use cdimage, microsoft's software for creating files into ISOs. It optimizes the files.

Did you check the version of your Media Center edition? SP3 slipstream will just downgrade your version of MCE.

Cheers ;)

Edited by mara-

• 9 years later...
  • 8 months later...
On 10/21/2017 at 7:01 AM, Gamer said:

...what if you installed SP3 separately since you can't slipstream nor does msdn supply one with SP3 pre-integrated...?

it "updates" MCE.  my old friend's Gateway/eMachines T5048 media center PC comes with XP MCE 2005 w/ SP2 and updates fine after installing SP3.  I just don't slipstream it.

9 hours ago, erpdude8 said:

it "updates" MCE.  my old friend's Gateway/eMachines T5048 media center PC comes with XP MCE 2005 w/ SP2 and updates fine after installing SP3.  I just don't slipstream it.

Oh wait hang, so the only thing that it downgrades is windows media player (WMP) 10 to 9? So that means I *could* slipstream it but then replace the WMP9 setup file with either WMP10 or delete it altogether (so it can't *downgrade* WMP) or have it install WMP10 as an addon manually....?

I'm guessing all these ISO files I've seen by googling have done this...?

There are some differences between:

Media Center 2002
Media Center 2004
Media Center 2005

that may allow (or may not) to slipstream Service Pack 3 "simply".

See here for all the gory details and for some howto's:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/77fb57a2-ef4a-4793-8c34-15f3d5a0474a/slipstreaming-sp3-rtm-to-win-mce-2005-results-into-a-corrupted-installation-cd?forum=itproxpsp

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8546f297-9781-422b-b53e-4f283e6b13dc/slipstreaming-sp3-with-mce-2005?forum=itproxpsp

Bashrat the Sneaky at the time came out with a solution for WMP10 slipstreaming.

jaclaz

• 3 weeks later...

Ah-huh....so lets see...

How to slipstream XP MCE 2005:1

1. Browse i386 folder of disk one and copy three files:  "MEDCTROC.DL_" "MEDCTROC.IN_" "MEDIACTR.CA_"  to wherever you want to store them.  Also copy "SYSOC.IN_" for Digital Media Enhancments. 

2. Copy contents of disk one to an empty folder.

3. slipstream disk one with the service pack.

4. Copy the first three files you saved "MEDCTROC.DL_" "MEDCTROC.IN_" "MEDIACTR.CA_" to i386 in the folder with disk one.

5. Copy the contents of disk two to the same folder as disk one.

6. Done

To enjoy all the features of media center, make sure you also install net framework 1.1, net framwork 1.1 service pack 1 and media center update rollup 2 (KB900325) and a DVD decoder or codec pack.

7. Once you install the system you can enable Windows Digital Media Enhancements by coying the file "SYSOC.IN_" from i386 folder of disk one and extracting it to the X:WINDOWS\inf folder. Go to add or remove programs from the control panel and select enable - disable windows features. Select Windows Digital Media Enhancements for windows dancer, Davinci theme and other PLUS features.
Browse for the Plus cab from disk two when it prompts you.

Hey Gyes, r u interested in XP SP3 + MCE 2005 till today? THEN Heres the solution

At first I want to say that Slipstreaming SP3 into XP MCE 2005 is ALMOST supported, but we have to hack somethings.

First combine your MCE Disk 1 & 2 into a folder.

Locate medctroc.in_, mediactr.ca_, medctr.dl_ ( u may also copy the txtsetup.sif for a fresh reference ) into the i386 folder, copy them to another location, u may also think about plus & sonic but feel free, they will not be modified by SP3.

Use nlite to integrate sp3, then go to the location where you put the three files. Just copy them to the i386 directory back, confirm replacing.

Open up txtsetup.sif with notepad sure that medctroc.in_, mediactr.ca_, medctr.dl_ are placed on it, use windiff to compare the fresh and the slipstreamed txtsetup.sif for plus.* and sonic.*, make necessary changes to slipstreamed sp3.

Download Update Rollup 2(october 2006 edition).

Download windows Media Player 10, make 2 folders in your C: drive named I386 and WMP10TMP, rename the wmp10 installer to MP10Setup.exe. BE SURE ABOUT CREATING FOLDER & RENAMING THE INSTALLER< IT'S IMPORTANT.

##TITLE WMP 10 Slipstreamer V1.1 - By Bashrat the Sneaky
@ECHO OFF
REM
REM
REM
REM #####################################################################
REM # #
REM # Copyright Bâshrat the Sneaky 2005 #
REM # #
REM # http://www.BTSunattended.net #
REM # #
REM # BashratTheSneaky@BTSunattended.net #
REM # #
REM
REM
REM
REM =======================
REM Folders, commands and other
REM _______________________
SET P=C:\WMP10TMP
SET OUT=C:\I386
SET C=MAKECAB /D CompressionType=LZX /D CompressionMemory=21 /L %OUT% %P%\
SET TotalSteps=3
REM =======================

IF EXIST %P% RD %P%
IF EXIST %OUT% RD %OUT%
COLOR 0A

CLS
ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO This batch file will help you slipstreaming Windows Media Player 10!
ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO The batch file does steps 1 and 2 on its own. You have to do step 3 yourself: moving the files to your UWXPCD and editing the HIVEDEF.INF file.
ECHO.
ECHO.
PAUSE

IF NOT EXIST MP10Setup.exe GOTO ERR

CLS
TITLE 1/%TotalSteps% Extracting MP10Setup.exe to %P%...
ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO 1/%TotalSteps% Extracting MP10Setup.exe to %P%...
ECHO.
ECHO.
START /WAIT MP10Setup.exe /C /Q /T:%P%
ECHO.
ECHO Complete!
ECHO.
PAUSE

CLS
TITLE 2/%TotalSteps% Moving the files to %OUT% and compressing them on the fly...
ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO 2/%TotalSteps% Moving the files to %OUT% and compressing them on the fly...
ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO Starting... 61 files have to be compressed...
ECHO.
ECHO.
%C%wmplayer.adm
%C%asferror.dll
%C%blackbox.dll
%C%CEWMDM.dll
%C%custsat.dll
%C%DRMClien.dll
%C%DrmStor.dll
%C%drmv2clt.dll
%C%LAPRXY.DLL
%C%mpvis.DLL
%C%msnetobj.dll
CLS
ECHO.
ECHO 50 files left to compress...
ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO.
%C%MsPMSNSv.dll
%C%MsPMSP.dll
%C%msscp.dll
%C%MSWMDM.dll
%C%qasf.dll
%C%WMADMOD.DLL
%C%WMADMOE.DLL
%C%WMASF.DLL
%C%WMDMLOG.dll
%C%WMDMPS.dll
CLS
ECHO.
ECHO 40 files left to compress...
ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO.
%C%wmerror.dll
%C%wmidx.dll
%C%WMNetMgr.dll
%C%wmp.dll
%C%wmpasf.dll
%C%wmpband.dll
%C%wmpcd.dll
%C%wmpcore.dll
%C%wmpdxm.dll
%C%wmploc.DLL
CLS
ECHO.
ECHO 30 files left to compress...
ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO.
%C%wmpshell.dll
%C%wmpui.dll
%C%WMSDMOD.DLL
%C%WMSDMOE2.DLL
%C%WMSPDMOD.DLL
%C%WMSPDMOE.DLL
%C%WMVCORE.DLL
%C%WMVDMOD.DLL
%C%WMVDMOE2.DLL
%C%logagent.exe
CLS
ECHO.
ECHO 20 files left to compress...
ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO.
%C%migrate.exe
%C%setup_wm.exe
%C%unregmp2.exe
%C%wmplayer.exe
%C%wmp.ocx
%C%Plylst1.wpl
%C%Plylst10.wpl
%C%Plylst11.wpl
%C%Plylst12.wpl
%C%Plylst13.wpl
CLS
ECHO.
ECHO 10 files left to compress...
ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO.
%C%Plylst14.wpl
%C%Plylst15.wpl
%C%Plylst2.wpl
%C%Plylst3.wpl
%C%Plylst4.wpl
%C%Plylst5.wpl
%C%Plylst6.wpl
%C%Plylst7.wpl
%C%Plylst8.wpl
%C%Plylst9.wpl
IF EXIST %P% RD /S /Q %P%
ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO Complete!
ECHO.
PAUSE
CLS
TITLE 3/%TotalSteps% Now it's up to you...
ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO 3/%TotalSteps% Now it's up to you...
ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO A) First of all move the folder %OUT% to the root of your UWXPCD. When you are asked to overwrite files, click Yes.
ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO  Now you have to edit the I386\HIVEDEF.INF file:
ECHO.
ECHO Add the following line under the section [AddReg]:
ECHO.
ECHO HKCU,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences","AcceptedPrivacyStatement",0x00010003,1
ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO Complete! Windows Media Player 10 is now completely slipstreamed!
ECHO.
PAUSE
CLS
TITLE Credits
ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO Fully created by Bâshrat the Sneaky. (2005)
ECHO.
ECHO Download it at www.BTSunattended.net
ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO With thanks to:
ECHO ---------------
ECHO.
ECHO - Obliviator, for providing all information I needed to make this batch file.
ECHO.
ECHO - jcarle, for explaining me I could shorten this batch file.
ECHO.
PAUSE
EXIT

:ERR
CLS
TITLE ERROR: MP10SETUP.EXE COULD NOT BE FOUND!
ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO MP10Setup.exe could not be found! Please place this batchfile in the same folder as MP10Setup.exe!
ECHO.
PAUSE
EXIT##

copy the above entry between two ## & ## (Do not add ## & ##) in notpad save this file as wmpslip.cmd, put this file also in your C: drive, at last it will say you for adding some entries to a file HIVESYS.INF. DON'T DO THIS, nLite WILL DO THIS FOR YOU.

Copy all items of C:\I386 folder to your slipstreamed sp3 location, confirm replace.

Integrate Update Rollup 2 with nlite, it may fail to integrate some items just ignore it. But be sure to integrate KB900325 & wmfdist95.

Then just make a bootable media run setup, when it completes u will get Windows XP media Center Edition 2005(3.0) SP3.

Plus and Sonic dont work!, just download the NR_MCE_Installer_Addon_b2.rar from http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5939  unrar it, run NR_IT make sure that the windows cd/dvd is in the cd/dvd drive. AND U ARE DONE.

To use wmp11 install .net framework 1.1 sp1 then install Update Rollup 2.

Finally Image Your System Drive with WAIK to install it in less time and frequently(OPTIONAL).

to get sonic and plus to work follow this:: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itproxpsp/thread/a65119ea-f503-40c1-9f5b-0fbc995105c8 then add wmp10 as described above... works great

or...

Slipstreaming SP3 into MCE2005 has caused problems.  Can it be done? Well here is one solution I worked on, and at least it worked for me.

1. Backup the files medctroc.dl_, medctroc.in_, mediactr.ca_ from i386 to another folder.

2. Slipstream SP3 (sp3.exe /integrate:<path>).

3. Replace the files medctroc.dl_, medctroc.in_, mediactr.in_ with ones you backed up earlier.

4. Expand the file wbemoc.in_ to wbemoc.inf (To do this open a command prompt and type expand /r wbemoc.in_)
Open the file and find the section [WBEM.CopyMOFs]
Find napclientprov.mof and change to napclientprov.mof,napprov.mof
Find napclientschema.mof and change to napclientschema.mof,napschem.mof
Save the file, compress it (type makecab wbemoc.inf in the command prompt) then delete wbemoc.inf.

5. Expand the sysoc.in to sysoc.inf
Open the file, and in the section [Components] add the following:
SonicDVDandCDBurning=ehOCGen.dll,OcEntry,sonic.inf,,7
WinPlus=plusoc.dll,OcEntry,plusoc.inf,,7
Save the file, compress it (makecab sysoc.inf) then delete sysoc.inf.

6. Open txtsetup.sif
Find the lines
medctroc.dll      = 100,,,,,,,32,0,0
medctroc.inf      = 100,,,,,,,20,0,0
mediactr.cat      = 100,,,,,,,,3,3
Then insert the following:
ehOCGen.dll   = 100,,,,,,,32,0,0
sonic.inf     = 100,,,,,,,20,0,0
sonic.cat     = 100,,,,,,,,3,3
sonic.cab     = 3,,,,,,_x,,3,3

plusoc.dll   = 100,,,,,,,32,0,0
plusoc.inf   = 100,,,,,,,20,0,0
plus.cat     = 100,,,,,,,,3,3
plus.cab     = 3,,,,,,_x,,3,3
Save the file.

7. Extract the SP3 Package to a folder using sp3.exe /x:<folder>
In the folder i386\root\cmpnents\netfx\i386 you will find a updated NETFX.CAB which is not slipstreamed. Copy the file and replace the existing one in your cmpnents\netfx\i386 folder with the new one.

8. Finally burn to a DVD

Step 1 and 3 will make sure the 2005 version of Media Center is installed.
Step 4 will solve the napclientprov file missing problems.
Step 5 and 6 will install the Digital Media Enhancements and Sonic Burning as usual.
Step 7 Updates Netfx 1.0

Issues:
WMP9 is installed and not WMP10.  Not a problem if you're planning to install WMP11.

Edited by jonc100 Wednesday, December 9, 2009 11:04 PM Correct few errors

Edited by Gamer