Windows XP takes 20/30 minutes to unlock

londoner211103

Hi,

I have this problem at work were some computer take 20/30 minutes to unlock after pressing ctrl+alt+del.

Sometimes users are forced to shutdown their computers and reboot.

This issue happens randomly, so sometimes could take the usual few seconds to unlock.

Our environment:

The computers lock automatically after left unattended for more than 15 minutes

The computers are part of a windows 2003 domain

They are XP pro SP2 fully patched

They have Office 2003, TrendMicro, DeviceWall, IE6

The computer are all HP, some laptop and some desktop of different ages.

If someone have any idea what this problem could be, I would really appreciate some help

Thanks

Is there anything in the event log on the problem machines?

Has this always been a problem on them or has their been a recent update that may have caused the problem?

I have seen a similar thing before where a windows update caused problems. From memory we got around the problem temporarily by disabling the screen saver. Try disabling it on one machine and see if the problem is still apparent. If its not it gives us something to work on.

Regards

John

If it's a work setup, do you have the Novell client installed? It caused all kinds of small problems (nothing as extreme as what you're having) at a previous shop I was at. Removing it (I didn't need Novell authentication for anything I did at my job) fixed all kinds of slowdowns and hangs. And this was on XP with an updated Novell client.

Hi,

I already disable the screen saver for all the computers. The problem still persist.

The last update installed was KB944338 http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=944338

I uninstall this update from one the computers that experience the issue and the problem have not reappeared in the past 6 days.

However my computer have the same update and its not experiencing the issue at all.

I do not have any Novell Agent installed.

Recent changes:

Desktop computers have recently been attached to individual UPS connected via USB (except mine)

I deployed DeviceWall (endpoint security for removable media) on all computers

I don't think the UPS is the issue as Laptop do not have UPS but are experiencing the issue

Thanks for your help so far

Paolo

Hi,

this is the only relevant error in event viewer.

It looks quite likely that this could be it.

The MSioSrv is the service related to DeviceWall

Event Type: Warning

Event Source: PlugPlayManager

Event Category: None

Event ID: 262

Date: 06/05/2008

Time: 07:33:18

User: N/A

Computer: #######

Description:

The service "MSioSrv" vetoed a power event request.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

From that warning event, it would seem it's potentially a driver for the devicewall device (msiosrv.dll is a devicewall driver) did not want to go to sleep properly, or when it went to sleep it didn't want to wake up properly. Since we know the problem is at unlock after idle, I'd say it's almost 100% likely to be related to this networking component in some way. What happens if you remove the DeviceWall software, or rebuild a problem box without adding any additional software to test just the drivers for the hardware?

Hi,

you need a login to get into that page, here is the article.

INFO: Advisory - Update from Trend Micro AV may affect performance on PC's running DeviceWall client

DESCRIPTION

(Week beginning 28 April 2008) Centennial Support have received a number of reports that Desktop PC's running the DeviceWall client have become slow/unresponsive or hang during start-up/Shutdown.

CAUSE

Investigations with several customers experiencing this issue show only one common factor. In each case the client machines are also running Trend Micro AntiVirus.

As these issues are being reported at the same time it is reasonable to suspect the issue has been caused by a recent update to the Trend Micro AntiVirus engine.

Centennial Support have been informed that Trend Micro have been advised of this issue.

Centennial Support are not aware of any other AntiVirus products causing this issue at this time.

RESOLUTION

It may be possible to resolve this issue by adding the DeviceWall client files to the AntiVirus product exceptions list.

The files that make up the DeviceWall client all exist in the %windows%/system32 directory and are as follows:-

DEVWALL.CPL

FSA.DLL

MSIOCTL.EXE

MSIOSRV.EXE

WINIOSVC.EXE

MSIODRV1.SYS

MSIODRV2.SYS

MSIODRV3.SYS

For further help with this issue please contact Trend Micro.