pc wont start

mikey5194

hey, i bought a pc the other day (second hand) and its a xp its a real good pc, its got pentium 4 3.00ghz processor, a sapphire radeon 9500 graphics card, 80gb hard drive and so on... when i boot it up it comes up as normal, and brings up the list of how to start the pc (normal, safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command promt and last known good config) i have gone through all of these and the pc still wont start, it comes up with the loading screen, and then resets, and sarts the whole process again. I have been into the bios and made sure it boots from the hard drive, and does (and it recognises it) and it still wont start?? :wacko: any ideas???? :wacko: also it has a temprature when if the cpu hits the pc will shutdown, the shutdown temp is 70 degrees and the fan is always hovering at around 74 degrees i have disabled the temp shutdown, but i dont want to burn out the cpu, so how can i prevent this of cool the fan down. Thanks alot!! :thumbup

The shutdown temp should be much higher than 70, If I am not mistaken, the CPU will normally be running around 100. At least thats what I have seen before. Are you seeing a blue screen before the computer restarts itself? I have fixed this in the past using a WinPE cd with a remote registry editor. The thing was to disable reboot upon blue screen so that you could see what the blue screen says and attempt to go further from there. A lot of times, you just need to run chkdsk with the repair options and that normally solves it (this can also be done from WinPE).

Boot from an XP cd, get in the Recovery Console and type "chkdsk c: /p" without the quotes. This is likely to fix your problem unless the HDD is damaged.

i dont think there is any blue screen before it restrarts, it just simply does... it says on my screen, no input signal, and starts the whole process again. what is the WinPE? would it be able to help me? what does it do? Thanks! :thumbup

frog357, i have just realised, i am seeing a blue screen, i have seen this screen on other pc's before.. what do i do now?? please reply asap!

Edited by mikey5194

frog357, i have just realised, i am seeing a blue screen, i have seen this screen on other pc's before.. what do i do now?? please reply asap!

Boot up with the F8 key to get the boot menu. Choose the option "disable automatic restart on system failure" and then choose XP. When you get the blue screen, the computer won't reboot. If it does you are in trouble. ANYWAYS, write down the message it gives you, post it here and we can better direct you to a cause and hopefully a solution.

right, i did what you said and the blue screen said;

a problem has been detected and windows has hut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

if this is the first time youve seen the stop error screen, restart you computer. if this screen appears again, follow these steps:

check to make sure any new hardware or software is propperly installed. if this is a newinstallation, ask your hardware manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

if problems continue, disable of remove any newly installed hardware of software. disable BIOS memory potions such as caching or chadowing. if you need to use safe mode to remove of disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced starting options, and select safe mode.

technical information:

***STOP: 0x000000ED (0x859229D0, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000

thats exactly what it said, what do i do now?

The shutdown temp should be much higher than 70, If I am not mistaken, the CPU will normally be running around 100.

That's a NO-NO :no: ... 100 degrees Centigrades???? :blink:

It is common for those of us in the USA to forget that the rest of the world uses celsius degrees (which makes a lot more sense) as opposed to fahrenheit. For an american computer, getting it to run at 70 degrees (F) would be next to impossible, since room temp is usually about 72.

right, i did what you said and the blue screen said;

a problem has been detected and windows has hut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

if this is the first time youve seen the stop error screen, restart you computer. if this screen appears again, follow these steps:

check to make sure any new hardware or software is propperly installed. if this is a newinstallation, ask your hardware manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

if problems continue, disable of remove any newly installed hardware of software. disable BIOS memory potions such as caching or chadowing. if you need to use safe mode to remove of disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced starting options, and select safe mode.

technical information:

***STOP: 0x000000ED (0x859229D0, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000

thats exactly what it said, what do i do now?

Sometimes this error is caused by a disk being in a drive such as: CD/DVD, floppy, Zip or other removable media or flash memory. Your computer might not have all these drives but make sure they are all empty.

Here are some related errors:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297185

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315403

Do you know what motherboard is in the computer? Also how the hard drive connects?