Disable Event Logs

kwanbis

I'm installing Windows XP for Legacy PCs on a EEE.

Because it uses SSD i want to disable all event logs, or the most i can.

I have been looking google for "disable event log", but i get no good links.

Any ideas?

Disable the service. Event log.

I rather not disable the service, cause it is used for other things.

What i want to do, is Windows to log zero events, or only the really important/urgent/bad ones.

Go to the event viewer. Right click on application, choose properties. Click the filter tab. Check or uncheck your choices. Do the same to the others system, security ....

Go to the event viewer. Right click on application, choose properties. Click the filter tab. Check or uncheck your choices. Do the same to the others system, security ....

Thanks. Seen that option. But from the name (filter), it looks like the Event Log would still get the events, only it would show what is been filtered.

Or i'm wrong?

Just disable the service. You're making a big issue out of a minor issue. If you really want to you can use group policy or registry permissions to disable it, but again just disable the service.

-gosh

Besides for disable service, you could set each log to 64k and have it overwrite events as needed.

Or you could move the logs to another location (possibly network share?) (or is it possible to write to nul?).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315417

I tried to save a file to \\.\nul just to see what it'd do, it sat there for a few seconds and didn't return anything but also didn't close the save file box. It might be worth a try if you can safely test the theory, to set the paths to \\.\nul

It appears you need the event file name, but it's worth some tests!