New Intel Matrix Storage Manager 8.0.0.1039 WHQL

None of these methods works for me :( The last working version of IMSM was 7.8.0.1012. Then, the 8.x.x.xxxx doesn't work. But it the iaAHCI.inf it is written that it fits to my ICH8M (PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2829&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel® ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller") So what is going wrong in the new series?

Intel just posted the latest driver set. While up in AHCI mode using version 7.8.0.1012, I updated the Intel® ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller driver from Device Manager without issue. I even ran the IMSM executable - again, no issue.

There's nothing wrong with the new series as far as I can tell. But I'm having a tough time understanding how you got 7.8.0.1012 to work.

Fernando 1 wrote back and said registry work would be needed, and I was hoping you could do that with an iaAHCI.inf right click install in ATA mode. His message indicated that it might not be that easy.

I'm stuck. But if you can set the BIOS to AHCI and boot successfully using 7.8.0.1012 drivers and the device manager is showing Intel® ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller and the driver is iaStor.sys, then you have a weird situation going on with the latest driver set. You can also run the Intel Chipset Utility to verify that: I/O Controller: Intel® 82801HBM/HEM I/O controller hub (ICH8M) SATA Controller found in AHCI mode. If that is verified using the 7.8.0.1012 driver set, I can't tell you how to get the latest set to install beyond what I've already suggested.

I think you have the latest BIOS running. You may also want to re-install the INF Update Utility.

The bottom line is, though, that if you can boot in AHCI mode with the old driver set, you should be able to do it with the latest set. If you are up in AHCI mode using 7.8.0.1012 drivers, the executable should work, and/or so should a simple update driver operation in Device manager.

Edited by PVU

I think that I know what going on. I tried to install 7.8.0.1012 but... it doesn't work. The only thing that has change from the time that I was installing 7.8.0.1012 on my notebook is that now I have SP3 instaed of SP2. I think that this is the problem, the installer don't accept the new SP3...

If you are trying to install any version of the IMSM while your BIOS is set to ATA, it will fail.

I think there might be a way to get it done by messing with the registry settings by following the iaAHCI.inf, but that's going to take some effort.

If you cannot get up with the BIOS set to AHCI, you may have to format and start over. If you go that route, I would use a SP3 slipstreamed disk, and install XP while the BIOS is set to AHCI mode. If you do it again in ATA mode you will probably run into the same problems.

In the slipstreamed disk, I would include the following textmode/OEM drivers: 1) the Intel INF drivers and 2) the Intel SATA drivers.

You may want to do it without using nLite. You can use Vitali Graf's program to OEM TEXTMODE preinstall the drivers - his program does that very well:

http://www.vitaligraf.de/en/?Projects:Wind...nded_CD_Creator

or

http://www.vitaligraf.de/en/?Projects:Wind...reator:Download

If you really want to use nLite instead, you could also go back to Fernando 1's thread in the nLite forum and follow his instructions to a "T".

Just remember that if you format and do it again from scratch, you need to make sure that the BIOS is set to AHCI.

If you are trying to install any version of the IMSM while your BIOS is set to ATA, it will fail.

Well, I think that you are not right, because when I was installing IMSM for the first time about one year ago first I installed the drivers and then I switched AHCI mode in BIOS. And everything was warking. Since I have SP3 it doesn't work in any way.

EDIT:

Some good and bad news...

Good one: new version 8.2.0.1001 was relased today :)

Bad one: still doesn't work :D

Edited by michal_banszel

Well, I think that you are not right, because when I was installing IMSM for the first time about one year ago first I installed the drivers and then I switched AHCI mode in BIOS. And everything was warking. Since I have SP3 it doesn't work in any way.

When you installed IMSM for the first time, was it just the drivers that were (TEXTMODE) included in your install disk? Or, were you in ATA, hit the executable IMSM, and it installed?

If you flipped the bios to AHCI with orginal TEXTMODEd drivers present, then updated the drivers in AHCI mode, I can see how it worked. But I can't see hitting the executable in ATA mode working. But maybe...

When you upgraded to SP3, were you in ATA mode?

If you were in AHCI mode using the 7.8.0.1012 driver set, then that's weird.

I have a 945 AHCI system at my office. I don't know when I'll get there to do it, but it was just upgraded to SP3, and I'll try to upgrade the drivers.

My first installation was like that:

I installed Windows XP SP2 modified (but very carefully) with nlite, then I boot system in ATA mode, I installed chipset drivers then reboot then I installed IMSM from executable file and then I switech on the AHCI mode. Then I integrated IMSM drivers to the installation CD to not to install them every time I format my system. Everything was working.

And now:

I installed Windows XP SP3 modified (still very carefully) with nLite, I integreted new 8.x.x.xxxx IMSM drivers and integrated WMP11 + IE7 + Intel chipset drivers also integrated with the instalation CD. When I was slipstreeming IMSM, WMP11 and IE7 and the chipset drivers with the instalallation CD my OS was like the one on the top, so AHCI was all the time enabled. After the instalation the system gave ma a blue screen with error, and I was surprised becasue I slipstreamed IMSM just like I did it before, it was just the new version.

My first installation was like that:

I installed Windows XP SP2 modified (but very carefully) with nlite, then I boot system in ATA mode, I installed chipset drivers then reboot then I installed IMSM from executable file and then I switech on the AHCI mode. Then I integrated IMSM drivers to the installation CD to not to install them every time I format my system. Everything was working.

And now:

I installed Windows XP SP3 modified (still very carefully) with nLite, I integreted new 8.x.x.xxxx IMSM drivers and integrated WMP11 + IE7 + Intel chipset drivers also integrated with the instalation CD. When I was slipstreeming IMSM, WMP11 and IE7 and the chipset drivers with the instalallation CD my OS was like the one on the top, so AHCI was all the time enabled. After the instalation the system gave ma a blue screen with error, and I was surprised becasue I slipstreamed IMSM just like I did it before, it was just the new version.

1) Did your 1st installation with the nLite disk contain the Intel Chipset and AHCI/SATA drivers via textmode integration? If the installation included the (same version) drivers and then you installed the full IMSM program with the same version drivers, I can see it maybe working. If your original nLite install did not contain the SATA drivers in textmode, and you installed the IMSM in bare ATA mode, that would be surprising.

2) Was this a format/fresh install? If not, I can see why you're having problems. If this was a fresh installation, I have seen folks complain about integrated WMP11 + SP3 installations. I've seen this over at the HFSLIP forum and the nLite forum.

If this is a fresh installation and you don't mind doing it again, I would go conservative and at least leave out WMP11. In fact, I would also leave out IE7 - I would only slipstream SP3 and textmode add the Intel drivers. A lot of folks are having issues with integrated WMP11:

http://www.msfn.org/board/Problem-with-HFS...11-t118309.html

nLite may be having a rough time with SP3 + IE7 + WMP11. It looks like HFSLIP is, and I think it's more related to WMP11.

No, my first instalation didn't contain Intel Chipset and AHCI/SATA drivers via textmode integration. It was just Windows XP + SP2 and after instalation I was installing autopatcher, then chipset drivers and then IMSM.

Do you really think, that WMP11 and IE7 could be the reason why AHCI is not working? I don't really think so, but I will try to install fresh windows XP SP3 without WMP11 and IE7 and see if IMSM is working...

No, my first instalation didn't contain Intel Chipset and AHCI/SATA drivers via textmode integration. It was just Windows XP + SP2 and after instalation I was installing autopatcher, then chipset drivers and then IMSM.

Do you really think, that WMP11 and IE7 could be the reason why AHCI is not working? I don't really think so, but I will try to install fresh windows XP SP3 without WMP11 and IE7 and see if IMSM is working...

Very interesting. When I got that laptop, I knew I would format and do my own clean install. So I kept the Dell install up long enough just to understand which drivers I would need. When I tried to install the updated 7.8.0.1012 IMSM, it wouldn't take it and I bummed out - thinking Dell might have used a cheaper ICH8 chipset without SATA support. Then I went into the bios, flipped it to AHCI, and the Dell installed OS picked it up. So I was happy about that and clean installed 2K3 with the integrated drivers while the bios was set to AHCI.

One thing about your last issue was that maybe you were using a pre-release/beta version of the IMSM - that may have had something to do with it. But I do know that the latest one should work, so your timing is good now.

I don't know if IE7 is really an issue. I'm also not sure about WMP11. Then again, I don't know about your nLite install - there are too many variables. What I like about HFSLIP is that if there's a hotfix integration issue, it bubbles up to the top right away - the WMP11 + SP3 is a good example.

If you're having issues like this, the more you can cut out, the better. Getting the drivers right right from the beginning is more important to me than integrating a few additional items that can be easily added later.

If you go conservative, you'll get the driver issue behind you. You could go for broke now that you have the latest official driver set, but I would just include SP3.

But I would definitely fresh install with the BIOS set to AHCI. If the install doesn't pick up the HDD, you'll know you probably did something wrong as far as integrating drivers with nLite is concerned.

If you go the nLite route to integrate the drivers, you should have no problem if you follow Fernando 1's instructions:

http://www.msfn.org/board/Integration-of-I...ve-t107504.html

Best of luck to you. I hopped on this thread because I have that laptop (it's a good one), and your issue has become my little obsession. ;)

Edited by PVU

I made a new Widnwos XP SP3 installation without WMP11, IE7 and no intel chipset drivers integration. I only integrated IMSM and now everything is working just fine. So, I have no idea what caused the error before. Thx PVU very much for your support, I really apprecheated it!!

• 4 weeks later...

I have experimented sometime, and finally find a way to install the driver after xp is installed.

prepare

a) download intel IMSM

B) open command prompt, browse to the directory where your download locates

c) type download_file_name -a

d) the driver will be extracted, my guess is "C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager"

I am not sure if the location is exact, because I also tried to install directly but failed, anyway, you should find the directory having the following files:

iaAHCI.cat

iaAHCI.inf

iaStor.cat

iaStor.inf

IaStor.sys

TXTSETUP.OEM

In my case, it is "C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\driver"

Now we can install the driver:

1) Right click my computer, select 'Manage'.

2) In the Computer Management console, click 'Device Manager'

3) Expend the 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers'

4) Right click your controller, e.g. Intel 8xxx, ICHxx

5) Select 'Update Driver'

6) Select 'No, not this time', click Next

7) Select 'Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)', click Next

8) Select 'Don't search. I willchoose the driver to install', click Next

9) Click 'Have disk'

10) Click 'Browse'

11) Navigate to the folder you have the extracted IMSM driver, select iaAHCI.inf .... (here I don't know if it is important which one to select), then click 'Open'

12) Click 'Ok'

13) Then select the right driver for you (!! read your motherboard manual to make sure the device type'

14) Click 'Ok' to install the driver

15) Reboot the computer

16) Enter BIOS to change the SATA mode to ACHI

17) The system boots into windows, and will find the controller and all the drivers, and will possible ask to reboot again

18) That's it