[Tutorial] How To Slipstream Vista SP1 into Vista RTM using WAIK

Hi,

I was trying to integrate vista sp1 into vista RTM DVD using WAIK. It worked fine for me :)

Here is how i did that.

1. Download Vista SP1 from here. 32-bit and 64-bit version.

2. Now extract the content of downloaded service pack file to a folder using following command.

for example, I have 64bit version's exe.

Windows6.0-KB936330-X64-wave1.exe /X:E:\extract

where "E:\extract" is the directory where service pack files will be extracted.

3. Open the directory where you have extracted service pack files ( "E:\extract" here )

you will see following cab files there.

windows6.0-kb935509-X64.cab

windows6.0-kb936330-X64.cab

windows6.0-kb937287-X64.cab

windows6.0-kb937954-X64.cab

windows6.0-kb938371-X64.cab

4. Mount (RW) your WIM file , for example I have mounted my WIM image to "E:\mount\" directory.

Also create a "Sandbox" folder. "E:\sandbox".

5. Now run package manager ( pkgmgr.exe ) to import packages ( cab files ) shown above.

pkgmgr.exe /ip /m:E:\extract\windows6.0-kb935509-X64.cab /o:E:\mount\;E:\mount\Windows /s:E:\sandbox

pkgmgr.exe /ip /m:E:\extract\windows6.0-kb936330-X64.cab /o:E:\mount\;E:\mount\Windows /s:E:\sandbox

pkgmgr.exe /ip /m:E:\extract\windows6.0-kb937287-X64.cab /o:E:\mount\;E:\mount\Windows /s:E:\sandbox

pkgmgr.exe /ip /m:E:\extract\windows6.0-kb937954-X64.cab /o:E:\mount\;E:\mount\Windows /s:E:\sandbox

pkgmgr.exe /ip /m:E:\extract\windows6.0-kb938371-X64.cab /o:E:\mount\;E:\mount\Windows /s:E:\sandbox

6. Unmount your mounted WIM.

Done!

:)

Amit

Edited by amit_talkin

can you type the whole command for extracting the service pack.

the command that you gave isn't correct. It gives me....this.....

'M:\' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

C:\Windows\system32>Windows6.0-KB936330-X64-wave1.exe /X:D:\VistaWorK\SP1Extract

'Windows6.0-KB936330-X64-wave1.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external

command,

operable program or batch file.

@sp00f,

I have no idea about update.mum, I didnt make change in it.

can u provide some info about it?

@flamandu,

here is full command line

E:\>Windows6.0-KB936330-X64-wave1.exe /X:E:\extract

make sure that path of exe file is correct.

AlbertS said :

The SP Integration is a little bit complex and there are many possible issues i don't have time to explain everything.

But I will tell you but i don't make it to easy for you

You have to Integrate the windows6.0-kb937287-X86.cab first then the 3 other small cabs and then the big one.

Open the update.mum insde the big windows6.0-kb936330-X86.cab file with an texteditor and look at the bottom.

There you find this:

exclusive="true" allowedOffline="false"

i think you know what allowedOffline means so you have to change this. It is possible to extract the cab edit the mum and integrate the folder there the cab is extracted with the pkgmgr.

I have read alot about this, what I wanted to know how does this process handle updating the service stack? Why is it that microsoft insists that this cant be done offline? I have seen a few 3rd party apps like vlite, vista tool and vista update integrater how do those tools compare to using the method found in this thread?

sp00f tnx for information, very good,i did all things how you wrote(just!!) i dont know the command for integration of folder with extracted files with pkgmgr,please can you post or describe shortly that, thank youDr.DifreNT

sp00f tnx for information, very good,i did all things how you wrote(just!!) i dont know the command for integration of folder with extracted files with pkgmgr,please can you post or describe shortly that, thank youDr.DifreNT

I dont know , sorry :blushing:

Why doesn't that surprise me... :whistle:

Edited by MAVERICKS CHOICE

Why doesn't that surprise me... :whistle:

tnx anyway, somewhere there must be the answer :rolleyes:

I f you can do better, show us....

i will do my best, but i didt say that i can do better... :sneaky:

Edited by Dr.difreNT

i will do my best, but i didt say that i can do better... :sneaky:

this is what im done

Windows6.0-KB936330-X64-wave0.exe /X:C:\extr

after extration of exe file i took

936330.cab and extract it to folder C:\SPCAB\EXTRSP1

FOR %i IN (*) DO (START "Expand" /WAIT %Windir%\System32\Expand.exe %i -f:* C:\SPCAB\EXTRSP1)

after extraction size of the folder EXTRSP1 is 2,4(+-)2.5 gb

found update.mum ,change "allowedOfline-true" ,save

and then im stop

(i hope - "..to be continued")

:rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

Hello All,

I also am interested in how to perform an "offline" sliptream of SP1 into Vitsa... (I know MS does not support it, but that is OK.) Looking at this thread I believe the basic process is:

Mount Vista RTM

Extract downloaded SP1 to a folder (C:\extract for example)

Expand windows6.0-kb936330-X86.cab and update "update.mum" per AlbertS instructions

"Recab" the pieces of windows6.0-kb936330-X86.cab (Does CABARC work for this?)

Run pkgmgr.exe for windows6.0-kb937287-X86.cab and then the other 3 small cabs per AlbertS instructions

Run pkgmgr.exe for the big cab per AlbertS instructions

Unmount with commit

Build ISO

Burn

What else am I missing?? Also should this whole process be performed on a Vista machine and if so, any hotfixes need as prereqs?? When to reboot during process??

Thanks for any/all advice

Bigben7