Wireless Card with an old laptop

Dblake1

I have recently accquired a laptop. i have also obtained a Linksys Instant Wireless (7th pic down) PC Card. I have tried Numerous times to get it to work, but it just won't. Could someone help me plz?

Laptop Specs:

Toshiba Tecra 700 CT - [picture]

Intel Pentium Processor @ 110 MHZ

16MB RAM

Microsoft Windows 98SE with Revolutions Pack 7 on a 2GB Fugitsu HDD

Edited by Dblake1

A 1994 notebook using wind*ws 98? :blink:

XXXXXXXIT!!!!

Bad news brother, your notebook doesn't supports CardBus. Then, you cannot use wi-fi cards(well, most of 1996 and early 1997 notebooks doesn't support it. If you hear the odissey that i lived with my powerbook 3400 trying to force a usb card to work with it-and i did it-.)

But you can try it. Connect a pcmcia ethernet card to a wi-fi router(belkin offers small adapters).

My Armada 110 laptop does have Cardbus compatibility, however, for whatever reason, the wireless card it came with (that I use) is a non-cardbus PCMCIA card.

Compaq WL110 PC card. look around for it. I can maybe upload the drivers. assuming it's legal and I can find them.

The card supports 802.11a and b standards or whatever they're called, and it doesn't have great range or anything, but it works if you're not picky.

how large is your Hard Drive Disk? out of curiosity.

• 2 weeks later...
the hard disk is 2GB. and it only has 16MB ram...but it only uses ~8% on startup...even with RP7 installed, which is cool

that's pretty epic. Windows 98se is magical that way. I'm astonished by the low system requirements, and high level of useability. same with Windows 95. actually even more so with Win95

i know...it only has a 110MHZ processor too...its kinda slow, but it works at least. and XP wont work on it (obviously)

it's probably largely because of like all the security and stability stuff in NT versions. the file privelages and whatnot. Takes up alot of space.

did you search the Compaq card?

it just wont work...it wont even boot from CD, which proves that XP won't run on it

yeah. XP is a huge operating system compared to 98se. so are, unfortunately, most modern versions of linux. even the lighter ones.

it installs correctly, with no errors. it just won't work. it shows up in Network too. but when i try to browse the internet, it doesn't work.

In my experience, these have often been quite 'tricky' to configure - not difficult, but very 'hit and miss'. Can you give a bit more detail as to what's not working? (Can it see the network? Is it aquiring an IP address?).

Did you install 'exactly' as per the User Guide on the Linksys website?