Install HP LaserJet P1006 on Win98SE

jmsallo

I have been trying to install a new HP LaserJet P1006 on my room mate's Win98SE PC.

It is a USB *only* printer.

I have run the latest AutoPatcher as well as the Universal USB drivers and the VIA fixes

from USBMAN.com

HP says the printer is not supported, but the drivers are on the supplied CD-ROM

in a Win9x directory

Plugging in the cable first installs MS USB Printer Support.

Then the install proceeds to almost the end at which point it fails saying that

the device cannot be installed.

However, the device *will* install if directed to LPT1 but then there is no USB001

in the Printer Port list to redirect the output.

How can I add a HP compatible USB001 port to the list so as to use this printer?

HELP!!!

I assume you used the 'add port' button after the LPT1 install?

It worked for me with a HP DJ990C, which I've been using for some time but had recently to install on a clean Me build.

Edited by dandnsmith

Can this perhaps be of help? Connecting an MS-Dos Application to a Printer on a USB Port on Windows 2000 (link) I know it's not quite what you asked but maybe an adaptation of it might work...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for getting back to me...

Does the HP DJ990C install a USB001 on WinME?

The problem is that there is no USB001 in the Add Port List.

I need to know how to *make* one.

I have also tried installing a different HP printer, but that doesn't work as

the printer is not detected and the install does not run. :(

The Win2K option doesn't work, as I cannot print to the printer,

so remapping USB001 -> LPT2 is not an option.

Isn't there just a .reg file somewhere that will make a USB001 port?

Please advise, before I upgrade this machine to Win2k.

Thanks!

The problem is that there is no USB001 in the Add Port List.

I need to know how to *make* one.

All USB printers need the supplied drivers installed before plugging the printer in...

If you have a look in Device Manager with the printer plugged in and powered on, you should find an unknown device.

Delete this unknown device and unplug the printer.

Then run the 9x installer from the CD.

It will ask you to plug in the printer at some point.

This should then install the correct port and printer drivers.

The Win9x directory is *not* a full HP installer, but a CAB and INF file.

This will install the printer on LPT1 using the Add Printer wizard.

Although the printer is detected, it fails to load the USB drivers and add the USB Printing port

(USB001) to the port list.

It says the device cannot be installed Error 1F4

This is driving me *nuts*.... Other USB devices (thumb drives, MP3 player) work fine!

Although the printer is detected, it fails to load the USB drivers and add the USB Printing port

So, no installer...

Have you checked in Device Manager while the printer is connected for unknown devices (yellow question mark)?

If an unknown device is there, then go to properties/driver/update driver and point to 9x driver on CD.

If it correctly installs the driver, it should also create the USB printer port...

That last posting sounds right (my memory of installing for 98SE and Me is a bit hazy, despite having done it a month or two back).

As an addon, some of the HP stuff can install bits which don't get properly removed before you try again - I have a utility which is specific for the 990C, and also one for another HP printer which some customers had, but this has since disappeared from the HP site (presumably it's considered too old, or they do it better now). I think you have to clean out the files and also the registry after the notional uninstall for it all to work.

A nasty afterthought - could the Win9x stuff be there solely for network use with older OS? I don't know how much is needed, since the printer would be visible across the net, and the drivers could then be dragged from the CD, while the port is a network one.

So, no installer...

Have you checked in Device Manager while the printer is connected for unknown devices (yellow question mark)?

If an unknown device is there, then go to properties/driver/update driver and point to 9x driver on CD.

If it correctly installs the driver, it should also create the USB printer port...

Yes the yellow question mark is there... I have deleted it, disconnected and reconnected the printer.

MS USB Printer support installs as a USB device, but upon installing the drivers, I get the 1F4 error (Device cannot be installed) which just leaves the yellow question mark... and no USB001 in the port list. :(

Add Printer wizard installs to LPT1 without issue... but not USB001 either.

The most surprising thing is that so few people have had this issue.

Looks like Win98SE will die because people won't be able to print!

That last posting sounds right (my memory of installing for 98SE and Me is a bit hazy, despite having done it a month or two back).

As an addon, some of the HP stuff can install bits which don't get properly removed before you try again - I have a utility which is specific for the 990C, and also one for another HP printer which some customers had, but this has since disappeared from the HP site (presumably it's considered too old, or they do it better now). I think you have to clean out the files and also the registry after the notional uninstall for it all to work.

A nasty afterthought - could the Win9x stuff be there solely for network use with older OS? I don't know how much is needed, since the printer would be visible across the net, and the drivers could then be dragged from the CD, while the port is a network one.

I have deleted the printer and run RegClean to remove all HP references... Same on re-install.

And no, it looks like a complete printer install: custom properties, print monitor and all.

Looks like Win98SE will die because people won't be able to print!

Only if you have an HP printer... HP are in bed with Microsoft... Microsoft say jump, HP jumps!

A couple of months ago, I bought a just released Epson printer.

It came with a full suite of drivers and software that work in 9x.

ALL 9x drivers are available and updated on the Epson web site unlike a certain vendor who has blitzed 9x drivers from their web site even though thousands of 9x users still use those printers... HP must has lost it big time to shoot themselves in the foot like that!

Are you listening HP?

I never did like HP.

The only thing that will die is HP products with 9x users...

How can I ever recommend HP when I can't even use their stupid devices!

May Windows 9x live long and prosper!

As much as I dislike HP, they are not the only company that has stopped making their printers compatible with Win9x.

I have encountered this issue with Canon as well; the client just returned it and bought an older, compatible model.

I'm going to try one last thing: Installing my Canon Pixma drivers, just to get a USB001 to install.

But this shouldn't really be a problem for the hackers in this group.

I mean, other patches to break the 2GB file limit, fix kernel issues, etc. have been released.

A nice INF or REG file to add a working USB001 would be helpful.

I might do it myself if I get the chance:

1. Snapshot the WinXp registry

2. Install the HP printer on XP

3. Run a utility to compare the snapshot with the post-install

4. Pull out all the registry changes into a REG file

5. Make appropriate Win9x tweaks to file

Presto!

Hmmm .....

@jmsallo

Could you please make a zip/rar of the HP P1006 w9x folder driver for me ? ... I'd like to have a look at it and see if I can add some "stuff" to make it work ...

I have looked through some HP models (1010, 1022, 2014, 2015) recent drivers and I believe I've found the the reason for the "inability" for HP to provide full w9x driver support. It seems that HP rights (read: license) to redistribute the usb printing support expired last June 2007 ... (Of course I believe that they could have just written their own usb support like what they did for their D640 series but that's not what I'm here for) ...

I'm in the process of modifying some HP P2015 drivers to see the level of usb printing support required ... basically I wanted to know if basic printing can be done with basic drivers (stripped down) ...

Rgds