Successful SP3 XP Slipstream Question

straylight

According to what I've read. (Here and Here) A Windows XP installation disk with sp3 slipstreamed properly will let you install XP without initially entering a CD key.

Can anyone verify this behavior?

Ive also noticed that sp3 requires at least sp1 to install, is this the same requirement for slipstreaming?

According to what I've read. (Here and Here) A Windows XP installation disk with sp3 slipstreamed properly will let you install XP without initially entering a CD key.

Can anyone verify this behavior?

Ive also noticed that sp3 requires at least sp1 to install, is this the same requirement for slipstreaming?

I have myself already used a build with no service packs and used nlite to slipstream sp3. It worked flawlessly!

XP Pro VLK RTM no patches + SP3 Slipped on Vista + VLK added to winnt.sif = Fail. (still prompted for key during install VLK not valid)

XP Pro VLK RTM no patches + SP3 Slipped on XP + VLK added to winnt.sif = Sucess. exact same behavior during install and after booting as RTM, SP1, SP2.

as always SP are cumulative, meaning that in order to install SP3 you do not need SP1 or SP2 already slipstreamed into the source. the OS you are running the slipstream process on may have some effect however (vista and 2008 both cause key issues) I slipstreamed mine on a XP SP3 VM running on vista with no problems. I have heard reports of success on XP SP2 but do not know if the slipstream process differs on XP SP0 or SP1

Thanks guys,

This is all the info I need. guess Ill have to build a XP VM and run from there.

Its so odd that Vista has that behavior. Anyone know why that is? Not a really pertinent issue, I'm just generally curious. I might be able to understand if it had something to do with Vista UAC, bu thats not the case.