Scheduled Task - 'End Task'?

terrypin

I'm having various problems with setting up scheduled tasks on my new XP Pro PC, but I'll keep them to individual posts,

One quirk that puzzles me is this r-click option to End Task. It's greyed out for all but one of my tasks. That simply runs Firefox with a link to a weather forecast. But it has Run permanently greyed. If I use End Task, that closes Firefox itself (badly, leaving it in Task Mgr).

Yet for a similar task, to visit BBC News, the 'End Task' command remains greyed at all times. That's what I'd expect, as the task is presumably just equivalent to clicking a URL. So the concept of 'ending' that doesn't make sense.

Anyone have any thoughts/insights please?

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I reckon I may have the solution a few minutes later. Bit obscure, but it seems that this particular site needs javascript enabled, and I had blocked it using a Firefox extension called NoScript. I'd already unblocked it for the BBC site. So presumably XP detected that this task hadn't been terminated properly?

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

So, in either case, are you needing to close Firefox altogether, or are there instances where only 1 Firefox window needs to be closed and the other left open?

In the first case, I would recommend using AutoIT, you can script a program that kills the process firefox.exe.