Transferring Scheduled Tasks to new PC?

terrypin

Is there a neat way to transfer all my Scheduled Tasks from the old PC to the new please? Even if some further manual effort is necessary, this would be far better than starting from scratch and re-entering every definition I've accumulated over 6 years.

---------

EDIT: OK, sorted thanks. Lots of work yet to be done, but the basic transfer can be achieved by copying across the added contents of C:\Windows\Tasks.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Edited by terrypin

Is there a neat way to transfer all my Scheduled Tasks from the old PC to the new please? Even if some further manual effort is necessary, this would be far better than starting from scratch and re-entering every definition I've accumulated over 6 years.

---------

EDIT: OK, sorted thanks. Lots of work yet to be done, but the basic transfer can be achieved by copying across the added contents of C:\Windows\Tasks.

--

That was premature :(

I cannot get the task to accept the password I used on the old PC!

--

---------

--

--

Is the account on the new PC you copied the task to using the same username and password combination?

---------

--

--

Is the account on the new PC you copied the task to using the same username and password combination?

That won't matter unfortunately. Even if you had the same computer name and user account set up on the new computer as the old one, you are still going to have a different SID. You need to recreate or update the existing tasks using a batch file. We do this for a couple customers because they have tasks in their drive image, but then we run the SID changer. After this happens, the tasks do not run because the SID changer (or even Sysprep SID regen) does not update the information in the scheduled task properties. The command you need is SCHTASKS.EXE. Here is an example:

schtasks /CHANGE /tn TASK_NAME_1 /ru Administrator /rp password;
schtasks /CHANGE /tn TASK_NAME_2 /ru Administrator /rp password;
schtasks /CHANGE /tn TASK_NAME_3 /ru Administrator /rp password;
schtasks /CHANGE /tn TASK_NAME_4 /ru Administrator /rp password;

After this, your tasks should then run properly.