[SOLVED] Big trouble with nLited SP3 WinNT & WinNT32 installation

BikinDutchman

Update

Upon further testing i did not need the $$rename.txt or the lines under the [WBEM.SYSTEMMOFS]. Commenting the lines out of the [WBEM.CopyMOFs] section fixed (so far) my problem.

mdemel,

I did the same fixes that you are talking about in the wbemoc.inf file. This seems to break RSoP (Resultant Set of Policies) and maybe some WMI stuff on my installs that I have tried. You probably turn off the Windows Security Center, though. I cannot do this in my situation. Do you not get errors in the event log similar to the following?

The Windows Security Center Service was unable to establish event queries with WMI to monitor third party AntiVirus and Firewall.
Source: SecurityCenter Event ID: 1802

Windows couldn't log the RSoP (Resultant Set of Policies) session status. An attempt to connect to WMI failed. No more RSoP logging will be done for this application of policy.
Source: Userenv Event ID: 1090

I need WMI and RSoP to work in my situation. Can you check and see if you get errors like this?

I get the following warnings. So far they only show up sometime during the setup.

Also I do not use Security Center or windows firewall.

These occur with winnt.exe, winnt32.exe, and the CD install.

On the CD version I used the original WBEMOC.INF

Event Category:	None
Event ID: 5603
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Description:
A provider, Rsop Planning Mode Provider, has been registered in the WMI namespace, root\RSOP,
but did not specify the HostingModel property. This provider will be run using the LocalSystem
account. This account is privileged and the provider may cause a security violation if it does not
correctly impersonate user requests. Ensure that provider has been reviewed for security
behavior and update the HostingModel property of the provider registration to an account with the
least privileges possible for the required functionality.

Event Type:	Warning
Event Source: WinMgmt
Event Category: None
Event ID: 63
Description:
A provider, CmdTriggerConsumer, has been registered in the WMI namespace, Root\cimv2, to
use the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged and the provider may cause a security
violation if it does not correctly impersonate user requests.

Event Type:	Warning
Event Source: WinMgmt
Event ID: 63
Description:
A provider, HiPerfCooker_v1, has been registered in the WMI namespace, Root\WMI, to use
the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged and the provider may cause a security
violation if it does not correctly impersonate user requests.

Edited by mdemel

Well.

I got a fresh Windows XP SP2 cd. I copied the complete content to a network drive.

I am still using my original $OEM$ directory in the I386 directory.

I then slipstreamed the SP3 using Nlite.

After that i try a reinstall from a DOS PXE boot environment (winnt.exe).

Copying files is ok, but during the GUI fase some files cannot be copied, including napclientprov.mof.

And when the setup is complete, the screen resolution is not taken over from the unattend.txt. also, the icons for IE are missing and the windows Firewall is not working.

winnt.exe breaks if your source install files are longer than 8.3.

Use winnt32.exe and a PE environment instead.

Also, I've tried a fresh MSDN disc with SP3 already on it. Winnt32.exe causes all kinds of chaos if nLite so much as even TOUCHES the source!

When I get home tonight, I'll create a few presets and set up a few Virtual Machines to illustrate what's happening...

Edited by killerb255

Hi everybody, :hello:

Well I have started to do my yearly clean install of XP considering SP3 is out. But I am having some problems getting everything to complete and without errors. Below is a few of the items that are showing up as problems. I do all my installs using winnt32 as this way I can keep all my installs in one place and be able to modify one at a time or all at once.

===========================================================================

System Errors

Scan date: 6/25/2008 7:37 PM

Scanned with MBSA version: 2.1.2104.0

Catalog synchronization date:

Security update catalog: Windows Server Update Services

Security Updates Scan Results

Issue: Security Updates

Score: Unable to scan

Result: An error occurred while scanning for security updates. (0x80004002)

=======================================================================================

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Userenv

Event ID: 1090

Date: 6/25/2008

Time: 7:59:33 PM

Computer: REDSTONE

Description:

Windows couldn't log the RSoP (Resultant Set of Policies) session status. An attempt to connect to WMI failed. No more RSoP logging will be done for this application of policy.

=========================================================================================

Event Type: Error

Event Source: W32Time

Event ID: 34

Date: 6/24/2008

Time: 7:33:07 PM

User: N/A

Computer: REDSTONE

Description:

The time service has detected that the system time needs to be changed by +86400 seconds. The time service will not change the system time by more than +54000 seconds. Verify that your time and time zone are correct, and that the time source time.windows.com (ntp.m|0x1|192.168.1.104:123->207.46.232.182:123) is working properly.

==========================================================================================

RSOP generates an error related to group policy

Time at startup (Finished Install) defaults to Kabul

The above was done using 1.4.6 with the below Last Session.

Now I tried installing the system with the previous install using SP2 and after this was installed I ran SP3 over it with no problems in the event viewer or anywhere else.

Thanks

John

Similar problem here: winnt.exe launched installation of XP (SP0) with slipstreamed SP3, results in an unbootable system (BSOD after boot selection) after the last reboot of the setup. CD based setup of the same on a VM works fine.

If IE7 and WMP11 updates are integrated, 'setup could not copy' errors for several files (all with long filenames) are thrown in great numbers during the text (blue) setup phase, these errors are gone if the updates are removed. I haven't checked setuplog.txt - is it possible that there're more copy errors even if the setup hasn't reported any?

I included a raid driver, removed components, changed service startup settings, applied no patches - I might have to try reducing the number of these changes. Ah, and my unattended settings were mostly ignored (licence key, language & location, name & company).

Edited by tomzi

I haven't checked setuplog.txt - is it possible that there're more copy errors even if the setup hasn't reported any?

It is well possible that there are more errors, not logged because at some point the installer drops the ball and moves on to the next stage.

-Ignore the "was not deleted" and "could not be copied into the DLL cache" errors.

This appears to be solved for my WinNT32 installation (tweak, simple drivers, Xable, IE7, Boooggy, and a number of simple add-ons).

Great job Nuhi :thumbup

Other posters in this topic: Please report your experience so that we can, hopefully, conclude that this nasty problem has been solved, and this post can sink to the bottom of this forum.

Similar problem here: winnt.exe launched installation of XP (SP0) with slipstreamed SP3, results in an unbootable system (BSOD after boot selection) after the last reboot of the setup. CD based setup of the same on a VM works fine.

If IE7 and WMP11 updates are integrated, 'setup could not copy' errors for several files (all with long filenames) are thrown in great numbers during the text (blue) setup phase, these errors are gone if the updates are removed. I haven't checked setuplog.txt - is it possible that there're more copy errors even if the setup hasn't reported any?

I included a raid driver, removed components, changed service startup settings, applied no patches - I might have to try reducing the number of these changes. Ah, and my unattended settings were mostly ignored (licence key, language & location, name & company).

Again, either

a) use either winnt32.exe and a PE disc (BartPE or WinPE 2.0 or 2.1) instead of winnt.exe in a DOS environment

or

b) use $$rename.txt. DOS doesn't like long file names, period.

This is not an nLite problem. This is not an SP3 problem. This is not an IE7 problem. This is not a WMP11 problem. This is a DOS problem! DOS is that way by design!

Personally, I prefer the winnt32.exe/PE method instead of having to constantly update $$rename...

Also, BikinDutchman is right--1.4.7 seems to have fixed winnt32.exe related problems.

I slipstreamed the following using 1.4.7 without a problem:

IE7

WMP11

Windows Installer 4.5

The Daylight Saving Time patch

The Bluetooth security hotfix

Attached is my presets.

Used winnt32.exe from a WinPE 2.1 environment and it worked like a champ!

Last_Session.ini

Edited by killerb255

• 2 weeks later...
Fixed in v1.4.6.

Testing now (1.4.7), thanks. I still get a missing file though (lhmstsc.mui), its part of Terminal Services which I remove so it does not exist, but its reference remains in the DOSNET.inf file, only occurs with slipstreamed SP3 and Nlite. No big deal though, I just skip it, will post the results :-)

Edited by Rory

Again, either

a) use either winnt32.exe and a PE disc (BartPE or WinPE 2.0 or 2.1) instead of winnt.exe in a DOS environment

or

B) use $$rename.txt. DOS doesn't like long file names, period.

This is not an nLite problem. This is not an SP3 problem. This is not an IE7 problem. This is not a WMP11 problem. This is a DOS problem! DOS is that way by design!

Actually the same exact setup with SP2 worked flawlessly, long names were never a problem, this WAS an Nlite error but now it is fixed.

Update, the WINNT.EXE method NOW WORKS without error using Nlite 1.4.7 :)

Edited by Rory

Just to verify, 1.4.7 fixed the errors with WINNT.EXE and SP3!

Thanks Nuri!! ;)

I guessed it would work out much in the same way for WinNT installs (avoiding the long name problems)

I assume we consider this case closed now.

Let this topic sink deep to the bottom of the forum :hello: .

• 3 years later...

As of 1.4.9.1 of nlite, There is only 1 way to get the error above.

Through the custom removal of files in the advance section of components.

This error cannot be caused by update packs, service packs, removal of components, damaged nlite or any other other options in nlite; again this is as of 1.4.9.1

It is extremely specific, something has caused WMI to be misconfigured...a custom file you chose to delete is the only possibility. Note, WMI has no dependencies, but it does have very delicate configuration that if the slightest change comes to be, it will crash. Once it's installed however, it can withstand more abuse.

If you have this error with a recent version of nlite, do not waist your time trying out other ppl's solution.

I garantee it has to do with a custom file you chose to remove in advance section of components in nlite.