[SOLVED] Big trouble with nLited SP3 WinNT & WinNT32 installation

BikinDutchman

hgiertler

For CD installs you need to have:

-CDRoot\$oem$

-CDRoot\i386

For WinNT32 installs the $oem$ is a sub-folder of i386:

-InstallLocRoot\i386\$oem$

I do not know what is needed for WinNT installs. aittersu?

Your setuperr.log indicates the all too familiar installation crash.

Edited by BikinDutchman

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, sorry to dig up an old post. But did the OP ever get this issue resolved?

Ive tried all versions of Nlite up to the final and also all kinds of methods and SP3 with Winnt.exe still continues to install a crippled system after Nliting.

COM+ and WMI are not installed among other things, tons of errors in the setup logs, and 3 main dll errors in the setuperr.log which have been mentioned on another thread on this forum. Basically XP is crippled. Ive tried a couple versions of XP too and also others are having the same problem using Winnt.exe and SP3 Nlited.

SP2 works perfectly, and SP3 works fine with a CD method.

Im using Winnt.exe for USB though.

Anyone have any ideas, should I start a new thread?

I have all the setup logs, even trimmed them down a bit.

I made a version identical to test in Vbox so i get the same errors in there as its the same Winnt.exe method.

Like mentioned works great with SP2, just not SP3 (slipstreamed manually or using Nlite to integrate it).

EDIT: Whoops I didnt see Page 2!! Will check out the info and see if it works for my install.

BTW I get the same errors as hgiertler. Just testing now with the usetup.exe changed. Checked the files and the names seem to be long file names and exist on the PC after installation.

Thanks.

Edited by Rory

Well problem somewhat solved.

I manually integrated SP3 into my clean untouched XP SP2 Installation source and didnt use Nlite and that setup was fine, no errors at all, but rather large!

BTW changing usetup.exe makes no difference as it is like that with the manual integration also.

Edited by Rory

I am having a similar problem while installing XP VLM thru Winnt32 if IE7 is integrated as a addon.

I have tried the solution mentioned and created $oem$\$1\$$rename.txt but it still does not resolve the problem. I am still having the IE icons and lots of other services missing.

Can someone give me the specific steps on what exactly to be done?

OK. I ran in to this problem and had no luck whatsoever with any of the fixes listed above; I just signed up to look at some attachments to try to resolve this problem. Nonetheless, I appreciate everyone's willingness to help.

The main problem that I was having was the LPDSVC (LPR/LPD Printing Service) was failing to install from the unattend.txt file. This led to other realizations such as calc.exe missing, DLLInstall errors in %windir%\setuperr.log, setuplog.txt being absolutely full of errors, and the video resolution settings from unattend.txt not being applied, etc.. It looks like nLite 1.4.5.3 just doesn't work for me at all.

After hours and hours of trial and error, running diffs on all of the inf files in the i386 folder, and all of my XP SP3 vanilla tests succeeding without any problem I came across a solution: back off to the previous version of nLite.

I manually slipstreamed XP SP3 into SP2 source and then used nLite 1.4.1 to add drivers (both PnP and Textmode) and now everything is working perfectly for me. The only issue that I'm seeing so far is something about system32\sfcfiles.dll not being signed properly in setuperr.txt. Setuplog.txt has a bunch of errors about not being able to delete files because they do not exist. Obviously you cannot use this tool to customize new settings in SP3, but I can do this in a later phase of my unattended install.

I've been using nLite for the past year to slipstream updates and add drivers and I am very pleased about how it performs overall. I am disappointed in the latest offerings, but I'm confident that the very skilled developers will take care of it.

Thanks for a great tool.

something about system32\sfcfiles.dll not being signed properly in setuperr.txt. Setuplog.txt has a bunch of errors about not being able to delete files because they do not exist. Obviously you cannot use this tool to customize new settings in SP3, but I can do this in a later phase of my unattended install.

Do not worry about those errors, they are normal. It looks like the WBEM adjustments in the recent nLite versions are causing the trouble.

sorry nuhi, nlite 1.4.6 hasn't solved the problem. same errors and files missing
Yep, same here, v1.4.6 unfortunately hasn't helped.  I use the winnt.exe method for installs and haven't had any trouble whatsoever prior to SP3.  With SP3 slipstreamed into a clean SP2 source I've been having the same issues that others have been having, like missing services.

Additionally, several system tweaks I selected have been ignored, like System Restore not being turned off, none of the My Computer right-click context menu entries I selected showed up, none of the 'show in My Computer' additions I selected showed up, and WordPad has gone AWOL.

Can't complain too much because of how much effort Nuhi has put into nLite, but it's still disappointing.  Not to be taken personally of course.

Can't complain too much because of how much effort Nuhi has put into nLite, but it's still disappointing.

True, Nuhi has put alot of effort into nLite but this is all Micro$oft's fault. They should fix it or even tell us how to! Though this is probably one of their ways to make us move to vista, hmm

Edited by davgkill

You gotta understand two things:

- No one uses winnt.exe, it works fine on CD boot

- Tried one of your presets which was failing and it worked with 1.4.6 with the winnt32.

Anyway it is just a question of how much lines to remove from the wbemoc, they did something weird there, easy to break.

So post your presets that didn't work, just saying it does not help.

edit: tried it now again with just languages removed, meaning normal components are left, and there is no problem with winnt32 as stated in the changelog. If someones winnt32 fails and boot from the same ISO works then please post your preset.

Edited by nuhi