Proper Integration of Multiple Hotfixes/Ryan VM Packs/SP's For win

Lqdwax

I have a question that has got me real confused. I searched the forums and could not find the exact answer that i am looking for. the question is long winded so I think if i bullet the issues that would be easier, so here I go:

1. I use multiple programs and websites to download hotfixes for xp(windows update downloader, Ryan VM, Offline Update, Microsofts website). which inherently creates many duplicates but also from my research fills holes.

2. I want to use Nlite to integrate all of the above Hotfixes/Ryan VM Pack's. But I am unsure if Nlite can differentiate and know what to overwrite between KB Hotfixes and the Ryan VM Packs. I am sorting by build date just to let you know. If there is a need to do something different to make sure that nlite overwrites and integrates the most up to date files, let me know

3. I have done some initial testing and it doesnt seem like I am getting a very good result. For example I slipstreamed SP3 and then chose all critcal post sp2 KB fixes & Ryan VM Pack and then started nlite. I never got prompted if i want to replace/overwrite older/newer files(like I have been prompted in the past). Wouldnt the above example prompt many overwrites as sp3 should have all these fixes integrated.

In Closing. All i am trying to do is make sure that I have a full and completely update version of windows XP . So someone please help, i have been doing so much research on the sp3 release, and the additional hotfixes i need to add(dx, media player, .net, etc) and i keep getting conflicting opinions. so I decided that i should go straight to the source to get the answers i need. I know this was long winded so if any clarification is needed please let me know. Thanks, Thanks, thanks a lot for the help.

I have a question that has got me real confused. I searched the forums and could not find the exact answer that i am looking for. the question is long winded so I think if i bullet the issues that would be easier, so here I go:

1. I use multiple programs and websites to download hotfixes for xp(windows update downloader, Ryan VM, Offline Update, Microsofts website). which inherently creates many duplicates but also from my research fills holes.

2. I want to use Nlite to integrate all of the above Hotfixes/Ryan VM Pack's. But I am unsure if Nlite can differentiate and know what to overwrite between KB Hotfixes and the Ryan VM Packs. I am sorting by build date just to let you know. If there is a need to do something different to make sure that nlite overwrites and integrates the most up to date files, let me know

3. I have done some initial testing and it doesnt seem like I am getting a very good result. For example I slipstreamed SP3 and then chose all critcal post sp2 KB fixes & Ryan VM Pack and then started nlite. I never got prompted if i want to replace/overwrite older/newer files(like I have been prompted in the past). Wouldnt the above example prompt many overwrites as sp3 should have all these fixes integrated.

In Closing. All i am trying to do is make sure that I have a full and completely update version of windows XP . So someone please help, i have been doing so much research on the sp3 release, and the additional hotfixes i need to add(dx, media player, .net, etc) and i keep getting conflicting opinions. so I decided that i should go straight to the source to get the answers i need. I know this was long winded so if any clarification is needed please let me know. Thanks, Thanks, thanks a lot for the help.

I would suggest simply installing sp3, thats it. As I recall those "ryan vm packs" etc are simply update packs before sp3 was put out.

Simply slipstreaming sp3, should get you as close to recent as possible. Since sp3 hasn't been released yet, well it has but not widely put out there. Odds are that is as up to date as you can get, at least according to winsupersite.com he did a widnows update after sp3, and there were only maybe 3 updates, relating to .net etc.

Hope this helps.

You are way overdoing and overthinking things.

The needed way to do it is slipstream sp3, IE7 and WMP11. THEN goto Windows update and running it then you can see whats missing, (Like almost nothing right now.)

Doing it your way creates file version conflicts and also makes alot of newer files and overwriting reg entries. Plus wastes alot of time and energy.

You are obviously familiar with Ryans site so please go over there and PM him and ask to be added to the beta testers group. I will vouch for you if needed.

Nlite is really smart but will still try to do everthing you are making it. You don't get the reports because you are not enabling them (It's in the advanced section of the hotfixes page)

All you need right now is :

SP3

IE7

WMP11 + 1 hotfix WindowsXP-KB941569-x86-ENU.EXE (integrated with Booggy's excellent slipstreamer.

And ryans sp3 beta pack

Are U kidding me that it is that simple. So (lol. here I go overdoing/overthinking it again) :wacko: what about say for example-services for unix updates, direct x updates, msxml, .net 1, 2, 3. all this is included in sp3. I am just being OCD about it because i have been doing some much research and you just get to the point where you just want to get it right because you worked so hard at it. So If you guys think im crazy and what i wrote above is wrong also, then i am going to slipstream xp sp3, mp11, and IE7 and be done with it. lastly does anyone know if microsoft has got the sp3 list of hotfixes up yet? Thanks Again guys/gals for putting up with my questions.

DX runtimes update = http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6010 (Not REALLY needed SP2 + SP3 has dx 9.0c in them)

c++ runtimes, and a s**tload of other runtimes = http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1954

Full .net addon 1.1 to 3.5 and ALL of the fixes in between = http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5657

msxml4 is in ryans beta sp3 pack

unix updates?? Shure can be done send me a link to them...

P.S. You'll never be finished mwahhaahahhhaaha

Honestly I have been doing this for years and I still update and add to my setup vigorously.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian,

U arent kidding about this being a vigorous process. The more i do research the more i realize that the rabbit/worm hole is never ending. UUuuggghhh, what have i done. :blink: .

Kelsenellenelvian. I also have just started messing around with what looks like your baby. wpi. looks interesting and something that should keep me up till the wee hours of the morning trying to perfect(lol).

thanks for the insight on the specific updates i will check out ryan vm. But i think once i get the hang of wpi & runonce, i am going to use it to install .net and some other stuff. anyway thanks for the help and the great program :thumbup:thumbup

lastly...by the time i have all this pefected everyone will probably be moving over to vista or the next ver (which is right around the corner-2009 i think). and guess what.....the madness will start all over again.

All you need right now is :

SP3

IE7

WMP11 + 1 hotfix WindowsXP-KB941569-x86-ENU.EXE (integrated with Booggy's excellent slipstreamer.

And ryans sp3 beta pack

Could you tell me where's the Ryans SP3 beta pack? I can't find it on his forum :(.

TIA.

Edited by pppx00