I can't get XP to use less than 40 MB RAM...

spystyle

something that works for most other tasks as well

Hi DL. actually I really have no idea :blushing: I just want to low down XP's usage of RAM so that I can install it on my other machine which is AMD Duron 800mhz/256MB/64MB shared video/20GB HDD. And maybe install some apps too. Thanks!.

Well, my home laptop is used primarily for web, email, and torrents, to organise my iPod (via Winamp), watch films, stream BBC World, occasionally burn DVDs, and every so often play around with Amiga emulation. For such tasks, this lightweight Windows XP installation is absolutely perfect.

Productivity applications are seldom used here (although there are some Portable programmes backed up on a USB HD) - I spend all day using MS Office and the Adobe suite at work, hence it's not something I am in a terrible hurry to install on my home system!

Cheers,

James

x

Hi James can you please post your last session if you don't mind just want to take a peek on it. Just curious :rolleyes: Thanks!

Edited by leinan

The installation that I am currently using is actually an XP SP2 installation from the middle of January, however I tried the latest nLite beta with SP3 RTM earlier in the week, and believe the memory usage will be comparable. The last session is attached, as requested.

Cheers,

James

x

LAST_SESSION.INI

I don't know if it would help you, but have you tried Emerge Desktop?

Phil

Thanks for the tip, though it didn't work. Apparently it requires some component from windows that I already removed in Nlite. I don't think it's a completely standalone program.

Oh, that's too bad. :(

I just had another idea. If you don't mind a retro, Windows 3.x look, you could try using progman.exe instead of explorer.exe. Be aware, though, that you have to get the file from a pre-SP2 version of Windows XP (according to what I read). The version of progman.exe from SP2 won't work (probably by design). To find the program, look in the i386 directory on the installation CD.

Phil

Someone suggested using a different shell to lower mem usage, unfortunately the suggested shell still has quite the memory footprint.

An alternative is using blackbox (for windows: bb4win) as your shell, of which there exists a lightweight version: bblean. The version I used for a while is a mod of bblean called bbclean, which adds a couple of cool must-have features. Have a look at some screenshots if you're interested.

Edited by laso