Built In Tool for URL Blocking

Dillhole

I'm looking for a gpo setting or something like that to block urls.

I don't just want them in the restricted zone, I want the url blocked.

I don't want to make the change to DNS or the proxy server, I'd like to do it at the client (XP Pro).

Thanks.

try hosts file.

Just be aware that it blocks whole domains, not individual URLs.

GL

But with Active Directory / Group Policy, isn't there are more elegant method than to push a hosts file to 500 clients?

Well, a cheesy way to block a site/url is to add the site to the user’s proxy settings exceptions. This will cause the browser to look for the site locally and give the user a page cannot be found. Easy to do and can be pushed down from server next time user logs on.

Proxy .pac files (just a .js file that acts like a proxy and can be configured as a proxy via GP if you have it on a web server) are meant for this, if you don't have an actual proxy. Otherwise, no, there's no easy way (other than a proxy local hack) to do this in GP, because this isn't really a feature of the browser, it's a feature of a proxy server :).

Proxy .pac files (just a .js file that acts like a proxy and can be configured as a proxy via GP if you have it on a web server) are meant for this, if you don't have an actual proxy. Otherwise, no, there's no easy way (other than a proxy local hack) to do this in GP, because this isn't really a feature of the browser, it's a feature of a proxy server :).

Thanks guys!

IMHO, it should be a "feature" (setting) in IE, or 'that other browser'.

He said that he doesn’t want to make changes to the proxy so im guessing he has one. So if you go to the clients machine and open up the browser go to tools>internet options>connections>lan settings>advanced and enter the url in the exceptions. Site will not be accessible. Simple, easy and cheesy. LOL