Slipstream of SP3 into MCE05

Manju

Slipstreaming Windows XP SP3 into Windows XP Media Center 2005 OEM using nLite will downgrade the MCE version from 3.0 to 2.8

Hope nuhi, is going to come with a new version of nlite that provides a solution to the above problem

Edited by Manju

MS stated that users of Windows XP Media Center Edition or Windows XP Tablet Edition will only be able to update to Service Pack 3 through Windows Update, no integration. It breaks too much.

You need to install Update Rollup 2 before you install SP3. Update Rollup 2 requires .NET 2.0 otherwise the installation partially fails. There is no way that I know of to directly integrate .NET. If someone knows how to do this maybe we can figure out how to integrate SP3 into MCE and TPCE.

• 2 weeks later...

here is some interesting news, may be helpful, you all know when SP3 is integrated into windows xp mediacenter 2005 edition it will downgrade its version from 3.0 to 2.8 and when you install it, it will prompt "cannot copy a file so and so" in the middle of the installation and if you skip that file you will end up with xp professional with sp3.

well i have come across with a solution for this file copy error,

- Combine XP MCE 2005 CD1 and CD2 into one

- Slipstream SP3

- Manually copy the files from the ROOT\CMPNENTS\MEDIACTR of the SP3 installation   file using a winrar program to the root of the slipstreamed windows xp MCE 2005 SP3

- Make the necessary changes in the txtsetup.sif as sp3 will remove the changes we   made while combining CD1 and CD2

- Burn the iso and install

everything installs correctly, you will endup with windows xp MCE with sp3 but you will have windows media player 9 instead of windows media player 10.

have to figure out a way to correct this. meantime if anyone has a better solution can reply.

One more idea to integrate MP10 in MCE disc...

extract mp10.exe to folder and make cabinet files of all extracted mp10

makecab <filename.ext>

Copy all cabs to I386 folder....thats it

well i have come across with a solution for this file copy error,

- Combine XP MCE 2005 CD1 and CD2 into one

- Slipstream SP3

- Manually copy the files from the ROOT\CMPNENTS\MEDIACTR of the SP3 installation file using a winrar program to the root of the slipstreamed windows xp MCE 2005 SP3

- Make the necessary changes in the txtsetup.sif as sp3 will remove the changes we made while combining CD1 and CD2

- Burn the iso and install

everything installs correctly, you will endup with windows xp MCE with sp3 but you will have windows media player 9 instead of windows media player 10.

I quite did not understand how it is done. Can you give details please. Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

I have discovered a way to slipstream xp media center with SP3 :

I was comparing the i386 folders of the xp professional disk to xp media center disk 1 with windiff and found a few files that are not included or different. Follow this procedure. Step 1. Copy these files from the "i386" folder of media center disk 1 directory to your desktop: "MEDCTROC.DL_" "MEDCTROC.IN_" and "MEDIACTR.CA_". Step 2. Combine XP Media Center Edition disk 1 and disk 2 into one folder named "whatever you like" so "components" and disk 1 are in the root of "whatever you like". Step 3. Slipstream with SP3. I used n-lite. Now that you have slipsteamed you have replaced files needed to install media center so continue to step 4. Step 4. Copy "MEDCTROC.DL", "MEDCTROC.IN" and "MEDIACTR.CA" from the desktop and paste them to the i386 folder of the slipstreamed installation of xp media center edition. When you do it will ask you if you want to replace the files becouse they are different versions. Replace. Step 5. Make a bootable DVD of the contents of "whatever you like" and install Windows XP Media center edition 2005.

Note 1: When installing you must use the "Mastor" optical drive (usually the top drive) as opposed to the "slave" or windows wil not find "components" and you will get a bad result.

Note 2: Using this method will give you media center edition with service pack three. Everything will work but It will give you media player 9 instead of 10 since SP3 replaces player 10 with 9. As a result you won't get digital media enhancments (windows dancer, label maker extra themes) and the sonic burn plugin (create cd or dvd in more programs) since these are dependent on media player 10. If these are not important to you than I reccomend this procedure for your tuner card TV and DVR.

Note 3: Replacing "PLUS.CA_" "PLUSOC.DL_" AND "PLUSOC.IN_" makes no difference since sp3 replaces player 10 with 9 and "plus" cab is dependent on player 10 to install.

Note 4: (not related to slipstreaming MCE) Make sure you install media player 10 along with net 1.1 and net 1.1 sp1 or update rollup 2 "KB 900325" will fail to install.

Edited by The Felon

• 1 year later...