Ubuntu 8.04/8.10

awergh

Since Ubuntu 8.04 has been released i wonder if anyone has tried it, im still downloading it at the moment but im interested to know if anyone has tried it yet, and how they think it compares to the previous releases

Edited by awergh

I'm doing a buddy-system download: I download the server iso and my friend downloads the desktop iso, then we burn eachother disks and that way each only have to download one iso instead of 2. Mine will be done in about half an hour... excited! :thumbup

Well I haven't really had much of a chance to check it out, but so far it's a definite improvement over previous versions.

First up, it actually runs on my laptop now (previous versions failed due to video driver issues). From zero points to some points, % improve -> /0 error ;)

Secondly, I've been able to install it and more importantly GRUB on a USB HDD attached to the Lappy (mind you, I had to edit the GRUB config file for it to load partitions correctly).

I like how it has a windows installer now. :) This will make it much easier for windows users to upgrade. I'll probably keep using windows xp as my primary OS, but for the next computer I build or buy, I'm thinking I'll probably just go with Ubuntu, now that it has such wide support.

ive been having problems with getting the propriety nvidia driver working so ive installed 7.10 and im going to upgrade once i download ubuntu 8.04 alternative, i dont want to use the network upgrade thingy cause the download speed was fluctuating to much when i was using it

i dunno i havent noticed anything speciffically different though i havent run either 7.10 or 8.04 enough to know.

the default resolution for 8.04 is 800x600 now rather then some ludicrously high one

• 5 weeks later...

I've been using ubuntu 8.04 for over a month now. I really like it. I've tried ubuntu in the past but didn't think much of it. Not enough to change anyway. Which brings me to this. I have for the first time ever been using Linux exclusively for over a month now. I really like using Linux. Especially ubuntu 8.04

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

using 8.10 since one day now, the upgrade went flawless, except for the fact I had to make space on "/" since I made the (wrong) assumption when I first set up the system that 5 GB would be enough for it. And I almost forgot, if you modified any system configuration files (/etc/...), be prepared for the inquisition! The upgrader will ask if it can overwrite your changes (with the option to have a look at the differences before it does so).

One thing I noticed, I seem to have trouble with hibernate now, the first try after the upgrade ended with "soft lockup in CPU#0 detected", however the second try showed some error messages, but hibernation and wakeup worked.

However, I haven't lost hope yet that this problem will be fixed in due time, the release is only 2 or 3 days old now.

Another thing I noticed, but to my liking, is the new UserSwitcher applet, which now combines the IM status and restart/shutdown options. There may be a drawback however for some people, if you select "logout", you will be logged out. There is no "do you really want to logout? Yes/No" dialog popping up. And so far I haven't found a switch to enable such a thing.

Other than that I have not found any big changes (yet). But I haven't gone around poking into the systems internals until now.

I like 8.10 - the only troubles were related to compiz where the 8.04 worked very well and now from time to time the top of the window seems to glitch a bit.

8.10 brings a tabbed gnome a bit like firefox does and native support the Huawei 3G USB connect card from Vodafone and other communications operators.

Last but not least, it comes with tool for creating USB bootable pendisks to install Ubuntu from USB drives.

:)

do you mean when the titlebar sort of goes white and u sort of have to minimise and stuff to get to go back and only happens on clear looks ubnuntu human theme but doesnt happen on the older bluish one?

do you mean when the titlebar sort of goes white and u sort of have to minimise and stuff to get to go back and only happens on clear looks ubnuntu human theme but doesnt happen on the older bluish one?

Yes, that describes very well the situation I experienced

I will try other themes, in 8.04 I wasn't using the human theme but rather a XP zune theme that looked really good.

Thanks.

:)

i've been dual booting with ubuntu since 6.10, and easily i can say 8.10 is great. a few setbacks though. my 9600GT works with it, i get dual monitor (horizontal, side by side) but the hardware effects don't work, if i enable them, i just get an error. also, during boot, i had to change it to "all_generic_ide" to see any progress. past that, i can't complain. audio works, i get both monitors, i can browse YouTube through totem (and what i listen to gets added to a playlist, so i can save that playlist, and it'll just stream through totem, which is great when i don't have the music).

i've used it to burn DVDs, CDs, and no problems really, i know my burner is dying though.

i also have my complaints with software, VMWare doesn't work, VirtualBox has too many issues, and the startup process still takes too long.

beyond that, 8.10 is a good transition if you upgrade from an earlier version, but the transition from windows to ubuntu has too many gaps, and i almost feel that 7.10 is more suitable.