CD Key Necessary with SP3 ?

Jazz

=> This CAN NOT be related to the type of key because Windows cannot tell the future and cannot know what type of key you intend to enter "later on" (!).

OK, I've also run into this problem... looking forward to a solution... :-) Unfortunately, I don't have one either and I was looking forward to this "feature" because it would allow me to create Virtual machines and give them to a friend who could then enter his own CD key...

Windows doesn't need to tell the future. XP OEM, retail and corp have different media. If you install with retail, you can only enter a retail cd key, either during setup or after. If you install with OEM, you can only enter a OEM cd key, either during setup or after. If you install with volume license, you can only enter a volume license cd key and has to be done during setup.

=> This CAN NOT be related to the type of key because Windows cannot tell the future and cannot know what type of key you intend to enter "later on" (!).

OK, I've also run into this problem... looking forward to a solution... :-) Unfortunately, I don't have one either and I was looking forward to this "feature" because it would allow me to create Virtual machines and give them to a friend who could then enter his own CD key...

Windows doesn't need to tell the future. XP OEM, retail and corp have different media. If you install with retail, you can only enter a retail cd key, either during setup or after. If you install with OEM, you can only enter a OEM cd key, either during setup or after. If you install with volume license, you can only enter a volume license cd key and has to be done during setup.

ok... as it happens so often, you have deleted the important part of the quote.

"user_hidden" said: "... OEM keys ... don't work.... VLK keys ... should still work ... unless blacklisted" ... and this assumes that the key is rejected / doesn't work - which is not what the OP asked...

Yes, the type of media might make a difference but unless stated otherwise, I assume it's retail.

FWIW: Mine is retail and it does require a key even after slipstreaming SP3. We'll probably just have to wait for a couple of days for somebody to take a look at it.

I am indeed looking at why slipstreaming 5512 behaves differently than my pre-build ISO from Microsoft, although I'm not spending more than a few minutes a day researching it. I'll know more when I know more - if anyone else figures it out before me, post it here :).

OK, it appears that all previous slipstreaming advice is.... a little out the window on this.

I did slipstream on an XP box to avoid the Vista pid key issues, and here's what I found:

1) Slipstream SP3 over an RTM (or SP0) source - product key REQUIRED during setup

2) Slipstream SP3 over an SP1 or SP2 source - product key NOT REQUIRED (can be bypassed) during setup

This was not a VL copy, but a retail copy. I don't know how VL copies will behave, because I don't have one I can easily test on, but I do know that a retail RTM copy will behave differently after SP3 slipstreaming than an SP1 or SP2 copy will behave.

FYI, further testing will commence later today, but that's what I've found in three separate slips on 3 different boxes...

hmm, interesting...

I slipstreamed over a SP1a CD. But I said it was retail and that might be wrong. It is actually a "system builder" version - but it was NOT preinstalled and not bundled with any specific hardware and what I have is NOT a "system restore" disk of any kind - it's a regular CD (with MS holographs) and I can install it on any machine. Due to the legal situation here in Germany, nobody ever ever buys "full retail" *g*. I actually forgot that "full retail" exists and is different ;-)

Does that make a difference for the license key? I hope not...

OK, it appears that all previous slipstreaming advice is.... a little out the window on this.

I did slipstream on an XP box to avoid the Vista pid key issues, and here's what I found:

1) Slipstream SP3 over an RTM (or SP0) source - product key REQUIRED during setup

2) Slipstream SP3 over an SP1 or SP2 source - product key NOT REQUIRED (can be bypassed) during setup

This was not a VL copy, but a retail copy. I don't know how VL copies will behave, because I don't have one I can easily test on, but I do know that a retail RTM copy will behave differently after SP3 slipstreaming than an SP1 or SP2 copy will behave.

FYI, further testing will commence later today, but that's what I've found in three separate slips on 3 different boxes...

I think Microsoft specifically says that you need to have AT LEAST service pack 1 installed in order to install service pack 3. However, I also read that it is recommended to install SP2 before SP3. I cant give sources, as I don't remember where I read them.

Edited by jerryb1988

I am going to agree with you on this. I slipstreamed SP3 onto a gold OEM disc. my key doesn't work (guessing what people are saying about pre-SP2a keys not working on slipstreamed SP3 OEM are correct) and I could not hit next. I also have an SP1 image lying around, oging to see if slipstreaming on that will work.

• 2 weeks later...

I created a Windows XP SP3, wmp11 and ie7 cd (integrated into SP2). Changed some setup options via nLite (like language settings). It asks for the product key. I can enter nothing and press next. I get the dialog that asks if I'm sure, but no matter wheter I choose yes or no I can't get pass the product key form.

Edited by rinzwind

If you want to make a SP3-slipstreamed XP Install-Medium, that skips the Product-Key Part, you have to set up your SETUPP.INI file´s value Pid to 76497OEM.

This is the first working combination of Microsoft-Product Code and ChannelID i found to skip the Product-Key part.

It has been tested with XP Professional. Dont try to set the CID to 000, 270 or 335 with this MPC - it would NOT work, i tested it.

Thanks for reading.

L.F.

Update - dont try to setup up a corp xppros setupp.ini to this value - you would get the dialog to skip it, but you have to anyway enter the key.

Edited by Lukefwkr