CD Key Necessary with SP3 ?

Jazz

Hi, i've slipstreamed the RTM Build of XP SP3 with Nlite, but i still get asked for the cd-key during install.

IIRC, one of the new features introduced by SP3, were CD Key less install possible like Windows Vista !

What do i need to do to get that feature to work ?

Kind Regards,

Jazz

Did you try replacing the "pidgen.dll" file from XP service pack 2 cd?

That trick doesnt work since the very firts betas if i recall well, what i am doing is nliteing my disc on vmware with XP sp installed, will come back with report...

I can confirm that if you have a Windows XP SP2 Corp share and integrate SP3 into it and then use the latest build of nlite v1.4.5 (Beta 2), and create an unattended install disc and enter your key it will work, I had the same problem and I believe the last unattended CD I created I was doing all my unattended stuff in Windows Vista :blushing: But did it this time around on a Windows XP SP3 box and all is well. Thanks for the clarification on why I was having problems with my XP Key as well. :thumbup

Slipstreaming SP3 does not negate the need for a key. However, pre-build SP3 CDs do work properly. I'm currently investigating why this is different, but this is currently the way it is.

Edit: Make sure you're using XP to make the slipstream:

http://www.msfn.org/board/Here-s-the-fix-f...ed-t116148.html

Hi., well i thought that one of the features of SP3 was that it'd allow to install XP WITHOUT the need to enter any cd key during the setup phase, just like Vista !?

What people seem to be discussing below is why some of their valid keys dont work during setup time, which is kind a different topic if you see what i mean..

So is there a way to slipstream SP3 in XP, either in vista or XP that'll allow me to skip entering the CD Key during the setup phase ?

Kind Regards,

Jazz

Hi,

I have been building a testing XP Home OEM SP3 integration with an unattended install I can cannot get the install to skip asking for the product key.

I have tried using both no ProductKey entry and ProductKey= which is blank in WINNT.SIF and in both cases the SP3 unattended install always asks for a key during installation.

How do you get an unattended install to skip asking for a Product Key?

I am building on Windows XP and not Vista.

Kind Regards

Simon

Hi,

I have been building a testing XP Home OEM SP3 integration with an unattended install I can cannot get the install to skip asking for the product key.

I have tried using both no ProductKey entry and ProductKey= which is blank in WINNT.SIF and in both cases the SP3 unattended install always asks for a key during installation.

How do you get an unattended install to skip asking for a Product Key?

I am building on Windows XP and not Vista.

Kind Regards

Simon

OEM keys pre SP2A do not work for a fresh SP3 install.

you can only have your OEM key working pre SP3 and then install with the stand alone SP3 installer.

tis is all if you want to use your "old" key. otherwise you would require an SP3 compatible OEM key.

this i think applies to regular oem and royalty oem keys.

VLK keys should still work for a fresh SP3 install unless blacklisted.

Edited by user_hidden

OEM keys pre SP2A do not work for a fresh SP3 install.

VLK keys should still work for a fresh SP3 install unless blacklisted.

Could you please PLEASE take the time to read the question and the other posts before posting something that is not at all relevant to the problem?

The problem is: You are prompted and required to enter a key. With SP3, you should be able to skip (!) the key section and enter it "later", e.g. during or before activation.

=> This CAN NOT be related to the type of key because Windows cannot tell the future and cannot know what type of key you intend to enter "later on" (!).

OK, I've also run into this problem... looking forward to a solution... :-) Unfortunately, I don't have one either and I was looking forward to this "feature" because it would allow me to create Virtual machines and give them to a friend who could then enter his own CD key...

XP Pro Corp still requires the user to enter a key, OEM or retail does not.

Dunno what to tell you about your cd key not working, I have one OEM and one retail and they are working fine on a SP3 slipstreamed install.

Dunno what to tell you about your cd key not working, ...
ok, this is incredible.

It would be a good idea to read at least the first and the last post before posting a reply...

Where did he say his key wasn't working?

He even clarified his problem in post #9

OK, I won't repeat my explanation from the last post ... *sigh*

Clarifying goes both ways. Jazz needs to clarify what kind of license he is trying to use. I see no mention of it, it does make a difference.

Also, looking further, Jazz doesn't mention if he wants to skip the cd-key part, unattendedly, which isn't supported and you have to provide a key in your answer file; or if when the cd-key part comes up, it forces him to enter a cd-key, and in which case cd-keyless isn't supported in Corporate. SP3 will still ask for a cd-key during normal setup, and if using oem or retail, you can just press "Next" and it'll prompt, just like in Vista.

Edited by redxii