HELP WIHT MY USB_MultiBoot5.cmd

First i would like to express my appreciation to this great forum.

I have downloaded your USB_MultiBoot5.cmd and started the wizard giving the path to my xp source and my usb device and the wizard copied some files on my usb drive. What should be done after that and excuse me for i am new to all that and i need some detailed instructions.

First thanks for your helpful respons and i would like to know about what is meant by option 2 in cmd file "usb content source" is it the extracted MultiBoot_8.zip or what and also after i finish should all the files shown in picture 15 be copied to my usb drive or i manually copy it from usb_xpbt

Thanks

Edited by highlink

You don't copy anything manually, unless you want to add something not supported by default, i.e. some Linux distro...

"usb content source" leave as it is.

Once USB stick is ready plug it in the machine you going to perform install on, make sure in BIOS USB stick is set as first boot device or use F11/F8/ESC/whatever you have to change boot order without entering BIOS.

On first run Select Text mode. Complete it.

Second step is to start from USB again. Select "2. GUI Mode Setup Windows XP, Continue Setup + Start XP from HD 1"

Third step- start from USB again- Select 2 again.

Once windows is completely loaded, give it a few minutes to finish the startup scripts, which change a few things on the USB stick and then you can remove it. You are done.

Is it any clearer now?

ilko

You don't copy anything manually, unless you want to add something not supported by default, i.e. some Linux distro...

"usb content source" leave as it is.

Once USB stick is ready plug it in the machine you going to perform install on, make sure in BIOS USB stick is set as first boot device or use F11/F8/ESC/whatever you have to change boot order without entering BIOS.

On first run Select Text mode. Complete it.

Second step is to start from USB again. Select "2. GUI Mode Setup Windows XP, Continue Setup + Start XP from HD 1"

Third step- start from USB again- Select 2 again.

Once windows is completely loaded, give it a few minutes to finish the startup scripts, which change a few things on the USB stick and then you can remove it. You are done.

Is it any clearer now?

ilko

It is thanks ilko

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup Thanks guys it works like magic and i installed xp from my usb, but i have a couple of questions and instead of opening new thread i though to continue with my old one.

How can i add hiren and acronis to my multiboot usb i tried adding the boot folders in my usb root and extracting hiren boot file using ultraiso then adding an entery in boot.ini file but i did not boot from the usb.

Also when i tried to add floppy images to my GRUB menu i got the following error message "try (hd0,0) : fat16:"

title Boot floppy image - MS-DOS with smartdrv

map (hd0,0)/images/DOS.IMA (fd0)

map --hook

chainloader (fd0)+1

rootnoverify (fd0)

• 3 weeks later...

Again instead of opening new thread i prefered to continue with my old one.

Well i have 2G kingstone usb stick and i would to know if i can use NTFS format using hp format tool to make xp setup faster or the hp usb disk format tool is used only for larger sized usb harddisks.

Thanks in advance.

You can try. Whether your BIOS/motherboard will boot from it you'll have to find out.

The disadvantage is, that NTFS would "wear" out your stick faster, due to the extra write cycles. A week or year shorter life for you stick noone can say, depends on it's quality and usage.

I tried the NTFS format but i got DISK ERROR message when i tried to boot from the usb, any how i shifted back to FAT, and i would like to know how to add my fedora live dvd(690MB) to my grub menu, is it like knoppix or different.

Thanks

tmp5462nn3.jpg

And i tried this entry

title 12 - FEDORA Linux

find --set-root /grldr

kernel /linux24 ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 initrd0=initrd0.img nomce noapic qemu quiet BOOT_IMAGE=LiveOS frugal

initrd0 /initrd0.img

and

find --set-root /grldr

kernel /vmlinuz0 root=/dev/ram0 initrd0=initrd0.img PMEDIA=usbflash PKEYS=uk

initrd0 /initrd0.img

Both did not work.

Edited by highlink

try

title Fedora Live

find --set--root /vmlinuz0

kernel /vmlinuz0 root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=usbflash PKEYS=uk

initrd /initrd0.img

If doesn't work, check kernel parameters.

You can also make a virtual drive with ImDisk and use liveusb-creator. Then check what is changed and kernel parameters, probably in syslinux.conf.

Use those parameters in menu.lst, but do not copy- paste them as the syntax is different.

Try

title Fedora Live
find --set--root /vmlinuz0
kernel /vmlinuz0 root=UUID=8003-FDB2 rootfstype=vfat ro quiet liveimg rhgb
initrd /initrd0.img

vfat=FAT32, if you are using FAT16, change the value to fat or msdos.

You should be able to add syslinux to boot.ini, you need a syslinux bootsector, let's say syslin.dat, the add a line to boot.ini:

C:\syslin.dat="Start Syslinux"

Haven't tested it though.

edit: try to make fedora live on the virtual drive, look if root=UUID=8003-FDB2 changes. If it does, then we need to think about a workaround. Or just ask the guys in fedora forum what should you use when using GRUB instead of syslinux.

Look here what the parameter root=UUID=XXXXXX.... is:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/ub...in-grub-642692/

On a second reading it seems to be a unique identifier for the partition, and you'll have to change it both in /etc/fstab and root=UUID= with the one you have.

You may look here how to get your UUID from linux:

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-416393.html

In windows I guess DIR will give you the ID.

edit2: About syslinux from boot.ini- have a look at \help_info\Guide_MultiBoot.txt, search for syslinux. Wimb has put a lot of usable info.

Edited by ilko_t

It worked fine ilko and i used both boo.ini through SLBOOT.bs and my grub menu adding this entry

title Fedora 9 LiveCD i686
find --set-root /grldr
root (hd0,0)
kernel /syslinux/vmlinuz0 ro rootfstype=msdos root=/dev/sdb1 quiet liveimg rhgb
initrd /syslinux/initrd0.img

Thanks dude.