XP SP3

jvidal

Hi!

XP SP3 has been released today!

I have a question, If I slipstream SP3 with the usual method (not using hfslip) and then want to slipstream updates/HF/etc with HFSLIP, which ones should I include?

WU/MU cabs? swflash? WUA? Lecitcheckcontrol.cab?

I suppose IE7 and WMP11 are already included in SP3...plus, obviously, all previously released HFs.

thanks!

Edited by jvidal

None of those are included in SP3. I still need to check how HFSLIP handles slipstreaming of IE7 and WMP11 on SP3.

An updated version of HFSLIP will be available by April 29 when SP3 is released to the public.

Why not? they clearly want us to have them, they push 'em via automatic updates. But when it's time to release an SP, they leave them out?

For us who are system builders and are configuring PCs all the time it's a lot better to have all that junk included in the source instead of wasting a lot of time installing it afterwards.

bye!

Ok, I did some testing.

I slipstreamed SP3 on an SP2 source via the usual method and installed on a VM. Everything went fine. IE is v6.0SP3, WMP is v9.0.

WU wanted to me have kb890830,so i installed it, then I installed IE7, didn't select to install updates, installed WMP11.Then I went to WU and it wanted me to have KB941569.

WUA30 is not needed, BTW, when I tried to install it, it complained that the service pack already includes a newer version.

Then I ran HFSLIP on the SP3 source and included IE7,WMP11,kb890830 and kb941569. Also included MU/WU cabs, swflash.cab, legitcheckcontrol.cab.

HFSLIP went fine and created the ISO normally. I will install it and see what happens.

I'll get back to ya after I do that.

Bye!

Ok, tried to install, but at T-28 a window popped up complaining that the file "napclientprov.mof" on (Unknown) could not be found and asking me to provide its location, i just pressed "Cancel" and installation continued. The rest of the installtion went fine and windows booted ok, but it doesn't work correctly. Quicklaunch won't appear ("couldn't create toolbar" error message). Start menu is missing items, problems with internet and email links on top of new start menu. IE won't run either.

bye!

Ok, tried to install, but at T-28 a window popped up complaining that the file "napclientprov.mof" on (Unknown) could not be found and asking me to provide its location, i just pressed "Cancel" and installation continued. The rest of the installtion went fine and windows booted ok, but it doesn't work correctly. Quicklaunch won't appear ("couldn't create toolbar" error message). Start menu is missing items, problems with internet and email links on top of new start menu. IE won't run either.

bye!

The file is in c:\windows\system32\wbem, and you can browse for it and the installer will continue without problems (at least in my experience).

I have the same problem, but I can't figure out exactly what's causing it.

HFSLIP.TXT

I think that warning should've been a bit more prominent. I never visit that forum, and I probably would've posted a link myself if I found one on microsoft.com or another official Microsoft channel.

Considering the size of MSFN, you can't expect people to read all its subforums, so, as far as I'm concerned, there never was much of a warning.

I think that warning should've been a bit more prominent. I never visit that forum, and I probably would've posted a link myself if I found one on microsoft.com or another official Microsoft channel.

Considering the size of MSFN, you can't expect people to read all its subforums, so, as far as I'm concerned, there never was much of a warning.

With all of the excitement that has built up over SP3, it would only be natural for members to want to post links to help their fellow members out, and that is what a forum should do, under normal circumstances in order to help the forum grow.

I agree with you totally Tomcat! Unless a person actually gets to this point by going through the forum itself, in other words if they happen to click on the recent forum posts on the homepage, then they would never know that posting a link would get them banned.

A warning the first time would seem more appropriate since it is possible to access this page from the main MSFN page which bypasses the actual forum, and any important messages, entirely.

However, I am not and would never tell a Moderator how to run their own forum, but it would seem more fair that way.

Edited by DragonOne

This announcement has promulgated almost all forms here at this point, although not the member contributed forums for some reason. I have to stand by this, using a torrent to get an unreleased binary is technically not OK. If you have to go to a torrent site to get a binary from a company like Microsoft, rather than download.microsoft.com or windowsupdate.microsoft.com (for reasons other than the torrent is faster, which may be true), then we view this as not an OK thing to do. Regardless of how one feels about the vendor, the release cycle, etc, they have a right to distribution of their package (autopatcher, for example, got bit by this for released packages, let alone an unreleased one), and we will follow that lead.

Links to torrents or other non-Microsoft download locations for XP SP3 prior to 4/29 will get one banned, both under the warning and against rule #1 in the forum rules. If Microsoft wanted you to have the package on 4/21, they would have made it available.

From here until 4/29, members violating this will be banned. Since the warning had not propogated into this forum for some reason, I have lifted the ban. However, any future incursions will result in a ban.

This is what I use:

Files in your HF folder:
NOREG\Windows-KB890830-V1.40.exe
NOREG\windowsmedia11-kb928788-x86-intl.exe
NOREG\windowsmedia11-kb929399-v2-x86-intl.exe
NOREG\windowsmedia11-kb929773-x86-intl.exe
NOREG\windowsmedia11-kb932390-x86-intl.exe
NOREG\windowsmedia11-kb933547-x86-intl.exe
NOREG\windowsmedia11-kb935551-x86-intl.exe
NOREG\windowsmedia11-kb935552-x86-intl.exe
NOREG\windowsmedia11-kb939209-x86-intl.exe
NOREG\WindowsMedia11-KB939683-x86-ENU.exe
NOREG\windowsmedia11-kb942264-x86-intl.exe
NOREG\windowsmedia11-kb944110-x86-intl.exe
NOREG\WindowsXP-KB941569-x86-ENU.EXE [when slipstreaming SP3, for WMP11 only!]
WMP11\control.xml
WMP11\eula.txt
WMP11\KB925749.cab
WMP11\LegitLibM.dll
WMP11\mymusic.inf
WMP11\Revert.wmz
WMP11\setup_wm.exe
WMP11\skins.inf
WMP11\syncpl01.wpl
WMP11\syncpl02.wpl
WMP11\syncpl03.wpl
WMP11\syncpl04.wpl
WMP11\syncpl05.wpl
WMP11\syncpl06.wpl
WMP11\syncpl07.wpl
WMP11\syncpl08.wpl
WMP11\syncpl09.wpl
WMP11\syncpl10.wpl
WMP11\syncpl11.wpl
WMP11\syncpl12.wpl
WMP11\umdf.exe
WMP11\WindowsXP-MSCompPackV1-x86.exe
WMP11\wmdbexport.exe
WMP11\wmfdist11.exe
WMP11\wmp11.exe
WMP11\wmpappcompat.exe
IE7-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe
msxml4-KB941833-enu.exe
rootsupd.exe
WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe
WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe

Files in your HFCABS folder:
LegitCheckControl.cab
MUAuth.cab
MUWEB_SITE.CAB

I got a hold of the spanish ver. of SP3, slipstreamed it and then ran HFSLIP on that source.

Included IE7+WMP11+KB941569+KB890830+WUA30+MU/WU cabs+SWFLASH.cab. HFSLIP went fine, but while installing I got the same error about that .mof file not being found and a new one: initial wizard is skipped altogether. I guess I need to include KB894871 (this didn't happen with the english version).

MU/WU are 100% happy, even though i didn't include any WMP11 or IE hotfixes.

BTW, putting messenger.msi in HFSVCPACK_SW1 still does not work: no messenger gets installed.

LOG:

This file is automatically generated by HFSLIP

HFSLIP is for personal use only

Copyright© TommyP 2005-2008

============================HOW TO REPORT A PROBLEM============================

If running into problems, refer to http://hfslip.org/support.html

HFSLIP support forum: http://msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=129

===============================================================================

Host OS - Windows XP

HFSLIP Version - 1.7.5, build 80409

HFSLIP Path - C:Temphfslip

OS in SOURCESS - Windows XP Professional SP3 Spanish

MSIE Version - MSIE7

Drivers - DRIVER.CAB Updated

CD Install Path - Default

CDTAG - WIN51

Files in your HF folder:

IE7-WindowsXP-x86-esn.exe

Windows-KB890830-V1.40.exe

WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe

WindowsXP-KB941569-x86-ESN.exe

wmp11-windowsxp-x86-ES-ES.exe

Files in your HFCABS folder:

LegitCheckControl.cab

MUAuth.cab

MuCatalogWebControl.cab

muweb_site.cab

Swflash.cab

Files in your HFGUIRUNONCE folder:

Files in your HFSVCPACK folder:

Files in your HFSVCPACK_SW1 folder:

messenger.msi

Files in your HFSVCPACK_SW2 folder:

Files in your HFTOOLS folder:

boot.bin

cmdow.exe

cygwin1.dll

HFANSWER.INI

mkisofs.exe

modifyPE.exe

Files in your REPLACE folder:

HFSLIP run time: 10m57s

Ok, included KB894871 and run hfslip again.

This time, the wizard showed up (except the part for automatic updates). The weird thing is that while processing KB894871, hfslip said "0 files copied". The .mof file not found error is still there.

bye!