Network and Sharing Center: The page failed to load

frod

Ok, so i finished re-installing my new vlited vista sp1 an hour or two ago, and everything is awesome except this page won't come up, with the text in the thread title.

I removed most components from vista (home premium) sp1, here's the ones i kept:

Network:

File and Printer sharing

Internet Explorer

Network Explorer

Services:

App Exp

Comp Browser

Desktop Window Manager

DHCP

DTC

DNS Client

Network List Service

TCP/IP NetBios Helper

Windows Colors

Windows Event Log

System:

MDAC

HTML Engine

Tablet PC

UAC

Windows Pic and Fax Viewer

There's also a couple in the other categories.

I set my router to dhcp and manually set up my wireless network (right click notification area icon and use connect to network) so this way both my wired and wireless connections work but there is no way to configure my network connections using the gui (that i know!), however i can see using ipconfig /all that both connections were automatically configured properly.

Edited by frod

I most certainly did remove that component, however i can say for certain that i removed that component in a test install and it didnt cause this problem.

Anyway, losing out SAT only removes flip3d and taskbar app previews (i think!) whereas losing the sharing center makes me unable to configure my network adapters and protocols!!

Digging out stuff i found out that my problem could be caused by a missing qutil.dll but i do have that specific file installed. I dont know if it's related at all in my case but just throwing that out there in case it does!

• 3 weeks later...

I made a Vista SP1 Home Premium ISO and burned it to a DVD. After I burned the DVD, I used vLite on the Vista SP1 Home Premium disk. I am not sure if driver integration, component removal, & tweaks work with the Vista SP1 Home Premium disk. I would like to disable as many components as possible and still be able to use LAN and WLAN.

I manged to get my Vista SP1 Home Premium disk to work and it connects to Network and Sharing Center. Here are the following things I did. I do not use a printer or scanner with my laptop. I wanted to make Vista SP1 Home Premium as small as possible. Managed to get Vista SP1 Home Premium disk down to 919.49MB.

Drivers Integrated:

1. Conexant High-Definition Audio Driver
  2. Conexant HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP Driver
  3. NVIDIA nForce Chipset Driver
  4. NVIDIA GeForce Series Video Driver
  5. Ricoh 5-1 Card Reader Driver
  6. Synaptics Touchpad
  7. Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver for Microsoft Windows Vista

Components Removed:

Accessories:

1. Accessibility
  2. Disk Cleanup
  3. Mobility Center
  4. Snipping Tool
  5. Speech Support
  6. Welcome Center
  7. Windows Sidebar and Gadgets
  8. Wordpad

Drivers:

1. Display Drivers
  2. Diva Server
  3. Modems
  4. Printers
  5. QLogic Fibre Channel Adaptor
  6. Scanners
  7. Sound Controllers
  8. Storage Controllers [Except HP]
  9. TV Tuners

Games:

1. Game Explorer
  2. Inbox Games
  3. Premium Inbox Games

Hardware Support:

1. Floppy Disk Support
  2. Infrared Support
  3. Printer Support

Languages:

1. Removed ALL languages

Multimedia:

1. Media Center
  2. Movie and DVD maker
  3. Music and Video samples
  4. Sample Pictures
  5. Screensavers
  6. Shell event sounds
  7. Slideshow
  8. Sound Recorder
  9. Wallpapers
  10. Windows Aero Theme
  11. Windows Calendar
  12. Windows Photo Gallery

Network:

1. Connect to a Network Projector
  2. Remote Desktop and Assistance
  3. Remote Desktop Client
  4. Windows Collaboration
  5. Windows Mail

Services:

1. Computer Browser
  2. Desktop Window Manager
  3. Error Reporting
  4. IPsec Policy Agent
  5. ReadyBoost
  6. Remote Registry
  7. Windows Search
  8. Windows Time

System:

1. Beep
  2. Digital Locker
  3. Disk Defragmenter
  4. Disk Quota
  5. Guided Help
  6. Help
  7. IMAPIv2 Burning Support
  8. Manual Install (Setup.exe)
  9. Microsoft Agent
  10. Natural Language
  11. Parental Controls
  12. Performance Counters
  13. Reliability and Performance Monitor
  14. Run a legacy CPL elevated
  15. Security Center
  16. Sync Center
  17. Tablet PC
  18. User Account Control (UAC)
  19. Windows Backup
  20. Windows Defender
  21. Windows Easy Transfer
  22. Windows SAT (Performance Index)

Tweaks:

Security:

1. Disabled [AntiSpyware Realtime Protection]
  2. Default [DEP (Data Execution Prevention)]
  3. Disabled [user Account Control (UAC)]

System:

1. Disabled [AutoPlay]
  2. Hibernation [Off]
  3. Memory requirement [256MB]
  4. Disabled [Paging Executive]
  5. Power button [sleep]
  6. Power scheme [High performance]
  7. Sleep button [sleep]

Explorer:

1. Enabled [Control Panel - Classic View]
  2. Yes [show extensions for known file types]
  3. Yes [show hidden files and folders]
  4. Yes [show protected operating system files]

Internet Explorer:

1. Enabled [iE Phising Filter]
  2. Enabled [Phishing Verification Ballon Tips]

NOTE: I would like to disable more services, but fear for my programs not working because of a service, I am not removing any more services. Instead of removing more services, I plan on using speedyvista.net (Windows Vista Minimal Settings)

Edited by Ryuji5864

Network Explorer , Event log ?!

If I have both of those enabled will it still work?

Problem solved of Network and Sharing center's lovely error, " The page failed to load." You do need both Network Explorer and Event log for the Network and Sharing Center to work. Check my list above of all the items I removed if you are unsure about removing a component. I am able to access Network and Sharing Center even after removing all of those components.

Edited by Ryuji5864

• 3 months later...
Digging out stuff i found out that my problem could be caused by a missing qutil.dll but i do have that specific file installed. I dont know if it's related at all in my case but just throwing that out there in case it does!

Did you ever find out what solved this? If so, please let me know.

I get this error too and it is annoying the hell out of me, because it causes Bluetooth, Wifi, Sharing to not function properly. This was NOT what I expected after having carefully selected items to keep in my Vista vlited version.

Ultimately it seems you should NOT remove Windows Mediaplayer or anything DRM related, and you should not remove TerminalServices of any kind. I have vlited Vista Business x64, most things are fine, except stuff related to those. Windows Vista without WMP is full of weird errors that are not easy to solve.

To be honest, I don't feel like re-creating yet another vlited vista and installing that. Is there a way to post-install the entire WMP and TerminalServices in an already running Vista? How do I undo the removal of Windows internal items?

Anyway, losing out SAT only removes flip3d and taskbar app previews (i think!) whereas losing the sharing center makes me unable to configure my network adapters and protocols!!

I know this is old but i saw it and it bothered me because it is not true ... I removed SAT and Flip3d and the taskabar previews are still all there ... Maybe you aren't running the AERO theme

Did you ever find out what solved this? If so, please let me know.

I get this error too and it is annoying the hell out of me, because it causes Bluetooth, Wifi, Sharing to not function properly. This was NOT what I expected after having carefully selected items to keep in my Vista vlited version.

Ultimately it seems you should NOT remove Windows Mediaplayer or anything DRM related, and you should not remove TerminalServices of any kind. I have vlited Vista Business x64, most things are fine, except stuff related to those. Windows Vista without WMP is full of weird errors that are not easy to solve.

To be honest, I don't feel like re-creating yet another vlited vista and installing that. Is there a way to post-install the entire WMP and TerminalServices in an already running Vista? How do I undo the removal of Windows internal items?

You can download media player 11 from microsoft download center, and i seem to remember installing it fine after removing wmp stuff from vlite. Not sure about if you removed the drm services. As for the qutil file problem, i think the problem was fixed in a more recent version of vlite but if you dont want to reinstall i think i fixed it by copying the cscapi.dll and ndfapi.dll files back from the original install.wim (extracted with 7zip i believe).

As for terminal services....... i really cant remember whats safe and not to remove... and i dont think you can reinstall missing things from the download center...

Sorry about all the "i think"s but it's been quite some time!!

I know this is old but i saw it and it bothered me because it is not true ... I removed SAT and Flip3d and the taskabar previews are still all there ... Maybe you aren't running the AERO theme

Yeah at the time i didnt know i only had to manually choose the aero theme since removing sat only forces basic vista theme.

You can download media player 11 from microsoft download center,
Show me where, because I don't see a Windows Vista x64 WMP download anywhere. I doubt that the XP x64 WMP will install in Vista x64.