Removing Services Improve Performance!?

oskingen

I was wondering about something. The first thing I always do when i finish my installation is to tweak my system by disabling some services like Aplication experience, Diagnostic, Distributed link tracking, offlines files...Because I don't like things useless running on my computer. Now I know I can remove these services in vlite and I just want to know what is the difference in terms of performance ?

For compatibilty with other softwares i did not remove them but it's just question i was thinking.

my two cents

removing " unnecessary" services will speed up things somewhat .

Windows search is a well known cycle gobbler but in my opinion better leave them and disable

after install instead . Many services dependencies are not well known if you

read the different threads on this forum.

Hannubys

as i wrote it will increase speed and responsiveness and memory usage should be smaller if the services you remove are automatically loaded at startup however the services you can remove are not large in size

so it wont make a huge difference on the final iso.

I was wondering about something. The first thing I always do when i finish my installation is to tweak my system by disabling some services like Aplication experience, Diagnostic, Distributed link tracking, offlines files...Because I don't like things useless running on my computer. Now I know I can remove these services in vlite and I just want to know what is the difference in terms of performance ?

For compatibilty with other softwares i did not remove them but it's just question i was thinking.

I thought this was kind of interesting. I've always used to nlite windows to the absolute bare minimum, get rid of +com, mdac, wmi etc.

So, how did windows do with the exact opposite? As bloated as possible? I used Windows xp x64 sp2, pre integrated all fixes etc, .net 1.1 to 3.5.

Every gawdamn feature you could imagine enabled. All windows services set to automatic. Now please bare inmind this test was done on a 8gb ddr2 amd dualcore, so it can handle it. I also enabled every protocol for network driver and so forth. However i had done all TWEAKS possible, from nlite setup.

As it turns out, I could'nt for the life of me get windows to slow down or what not. The funny thing is, windows booted quite fast and ran userlogin immidiately, allthough win kept loading because of the excessive amount of services enabled.

This is kind of short summary, but it totally changed my view on the matter. Get rid of things that annoy you, and try to live with it. I guess the reward is a lot higher compability/possibly stability issues, alltho i never had a crash on my nlite installs for a couple of years now.

I will say this tho, there is nothing, NOTHING like the feeling of sitting infront of an uber-responsive heavynlited install.

Dammit... Now i want to reinstall everything again...

OT: is .net 1.1 really needed anymore? Wouldnt 3.5 redistributed be enough?