Need help with a new Build

mniceguy81

The help is to find what i'm doing wrong and there's no budget, cause i have been saving for the last 4yrs, cause i change my pc every 4 to 5 yrs.(if the pc is out of order) and if you have any suggestions.

Going to use it for video editing and games.

My new Build

Monitor - PHILIPS 240BW8EB LCD 24

CPU- Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme 3.00GHz QX9650 [ LGA775 - 12MB - 45nm - 1333MHz ]

Motherboard - ASUS P5E3 Premium/WiFi-AP ( Intel® X48 - Socket 775 - FSB 1600 )

Memory - CORSAIR XMS3 DHX [TWIN3X2048-1600C7DHXIN G] DDR3 2GB [2x1GB] DDR1600 (PC3-12800) X2 = 4GB

Graphic Card - ASUS Extreme N9800GX2/G/2DI ( GeForce 9800GX2 1024MB 2xDVI HDMI ) (Thinking of SLI gladly appreaciate any advice)

Ageia Card - BFG PhysX 128MB PCI ( AGEIA PhysX 128DDR ) do i need it or not.

Hard Disk - SATA150 74GB - 10000 WESTERN DIGITAL RAPTOR (16MB) For Windows

- SATA150 150GB - 10000 WESTERN DIGITAL RAPTOR (16MB) For Software install

- SATA300 1.0To (1000GB) - 7200 WESTERN RE2 GP (16 MB) [WD1000FYPS] X2 = 2 For Backup 1 and the other for download

Power supply - 1500W THERMALTAKE Toughpower [W0171RED] do i need to exchange my power supply.

What i already have is the case Thermaltake Kandalf Original, Yesico 550w fanless power supply, 4 Corsair DDR2 667 and Creative Audigy 7.1 zs platinum.

Thanks.

honestly, the 1500w power supply is way overkill. The one thing most people overestimate on is their expected watt usage. I'm not saying to buy a cheap PSU, I'm just saying you don't need a 1.5KW power supply.

just for comparison, the rig in my sig including monitor, speakers, modem and router consumes 255 watts. That means my PC probably consumes 210 or less. You might be at around 225 given your CPU.

skip the physx card until it picks up major mainstream support besides the latest UT game.

other than that, you look good

Monitor - PHILIPS 240BW8EB LCD 24
I also recommend taking a look at the Dell 2408WFP. The cost is a bit more, but if you take my recommendations below on the CPU you'll have a bit of extra money for it.
CPU- Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme 3.00GHz QX9650 [ LGA775 - 12MB - 45nm - 1333MHz ]
Save yourself a little extra money on the Extreme Edition. I'd recommend trying to find a Q9550 for something that's very close to the same specs (only 70MHz less) and costs roughly half as much. Here's a side-by-side comparison.
Motherboard - ASUS P5E3 Premium/WiFi-AP ( Intel® X48 - Socket 775 - FSB 1600 )
Unless you need the WiFi AP, I'd recommend looking at the P5E3 Deluxe. I would do that anyway and get a seperate WiFi AP if needed.
Memory - CORSAIR XMS3 DHX [TWIN3X2048-1600C7DHXIN G] DDR3 2GB [2x1GB] DDR1600 (PC3-12800) X2 = 4GB
Instead of going with two 2GB kits to get to 4GB just go with a 4GB kit (2x2GB). Corsair has the TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHXIN G, which is the 4GB version of the kit you listed. The price should be comparable and it'll give you some upgrade room later.
Graphic Card - ASUS Extreme N9800GX2/G/2DI ( GeForce 9800GX2 1024MB 2xDVI HDMI ) (Thinking of SLI gladly appreaciate any advice)
This one is a tough one. You're obviously going for some of the best components available and the 9800GX2 is certainly nice. What remains to be seen though is how well NVIDIA is going to support the product. They're also working on getting their new GT200 core finished and out the door, but this probably won't be available for several months.

One thing to note is that SLI is not available on Intel chipsets. Yes, a single 9800GX2 will work, but you won't be able to get a pair of them to work together (which is just overkill in my opinion anyway...they don't scale well enough to justify the price premium).

Ageia Card - BFG PhysX 128MB PCI ( AGEIA PhysX 128DDR ) do i need it or not.
No, you don't need it. NVIDIA is buying Ageia anyway and I expect we won't see the PhysX cards on the market for very long after that happens. They've announced plans to incorporate those capabilities into the GPU and it's drivers. In other words, that card will never pick up mainstream support.
Hard Disk - SATA150 74GB - 10000 WESTERN DIGITAL RAPTOR (16MB) For Windows

- SATA150 150GB - 10000 WESTERN DIGITAL RAPTOR (16MB) For Software install

Don't split up the OS and software installs. There's really no need to (if you reinstall Windows you have to reinstall 95% of the applications anyway so what's the point?). Also, WD just announced a new drive in the Raptor lineup that pretty much blows away the previous Raptor drives. The new one is also SATA 3Gb/s where the previous ones are SATA 1.5Gb/s. This is the first drive I've seen that definitely would've been held back by a SATA 1.5Gb/s interface.
- SATA300 1.0To (1000GB) - 7200 WESTERN RE2 GP (16 MB) [WD1000FYPS] X2 = 2 For Backup 1 and the other for download
If you're not going to RAID them then don't get the RAID Edition of the drive.
Power supply - 1500W THERMALTAKE Toughpower [W0171RED] do i need to exchange my power supply.
As was mentioned, 1500W is definitely overkill. Take a look at what NVIDIA recommends for the 9800GX2 and use that as a baseline.
What i already have is the case Thermaltake Kandalf Original, Yesico 550w fanless power supply, 4 Corsair DDR2 667 and Creative Audigy 7.1 zs platinum.
One word of warning...if you plan on running Vista don't expect to use your Audigy 2 ZS. Creative doesn't hold a high opinion with me (or many other enthusiasts) right now. There are some hacked drivers floating around out there that'll make it work, but it would be nice if Creative would support their own products. Edited by nmX.Memnoch

Creative doesn't hold a high opinion with me (or many other enthusiasts) right now. There are some hacked drivers floating around out there that'll make it work, but it would be nice if Creative would support their own products.
Correct, creative is a dead end for now when it comes to Vista. Besides that, creative is attacking everybody (example) that makes modified drivers to push their new, "specially made for Vista", sound cards...

Everything looks good, though I think a 1500 watt power supply is a bit too much. Your better off with a 1000 watt.

I heard the 9800 GX2 reaches its end of life when the 9900 series come out, but if you want the best card at the moment, I'll say go for it.

It's The Inquirer so take it with a few grains of salt...but they're claiming that NVIDIA is moving the launch of the GT200 forward to July.

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/new...ping-early-g200

Note they keep calling it the "G200" in the article, but it's supposed to be GT200.

Edited by nmX.Memnoch