computer compromised

1abnerd

I'm new to slipstreaming however using the excellent tutorials, dBase, RyanVM and nLite I burned an unattended install disc including driver packs, SP-2, SP-POST and only had to supply workgroup name and user name. Fantastic-now working on the rest.

However, a friend questions the safety of using (among other items) the DriverPacks- that my personal information on my computer is now or will be compromised from unknown nefarious programs possibly embedded in these packs. Either already existing or in some way added by other agents during the download or compromised in some fashion that would allow others ( i think he watched to much LOST) to exploit some unknown flaw introduced through the use of the above mentioned products.

Please advise.

If it were not for his background (network administrator) i'd file it with the rest of his conspiracy beliefs.

Didn't know where else to post this or a proper topic heading.

I'm new to slipstreaming however using the excellent tutorials, dBase, RyanVM and nLite I burned an unattended install disc including driver packs, SP-2, SP-POST and only had to supply workgroup name and user name. Fantastic-now working on the rest.

However, a friend questions the safety of using (among other items) the DriverPacks- that my personal information on my computer is now or will be compromised from unknown nefarious programs possibly embedded in these packs. Either already existing or in some way added by other agents during the download or compromised in some fashion that would allow others ( i think he watched to much LOST) to exploit some unknown flaw introduced through the use of the above mentioned products.

Please advise.

If it were not for his background (network administrator) i'd file it with the rest of his conspiracy beliefs.

Didn't know where else to post this or a proper topic heading.

ok first off your friend needs to stop watching the bad wanna be sci-fi TV and go see a doctor -being that paranoid isnt normal.

personal information being compromised by a driverpack? in my experience, 3rd party utils and addon packs have a higher success rate than microsofts own patches (well at least the addons MSFNers use :) )

seriously though "rolling your own" XP cds is far more secure than the other available options

building from RTM media every install (huge period of vulnerability)

using a prebuilt SP1,SP2,SP3 iso -even if obtained from MS -it still wont contain all patches since the previous SP

and that doesnt even cover the other issues youll have with installing a plain vanilla XP

better have an IDE/USB floppy hanging around and a few floppys with 'F6 drivers' on them

better have NIC drivers on a CD/DVD/Pen

better have plenty of free time to download software and updates -oh wait you can do that in the background while turning off Xp tour, Desktop cleanup wizard, connection wizard, disabling security center, uxtheme patching, etc

sorry but just i cant believe anyone would actually be against creating a slipstreamed version of XP and would cite security as their reason not to.