Help w/ Soporific's Windows.98.UBCD.Feb.2008

p7s7x9

I just newly downloaded Soporific's Windows.98.UBCD and installed it on my old PC via clean install (formatting all hard disks, etc). It seems to be good and runs nice and fast on the thing, but my problem is that the OS can't seem to detect my internet and, despite the multiple drivers included in the CD, it doesn't detect my sound card! This PC is old, really old. Its basically an Athlon with an estimated processor speed of 700-something MHz and 128mb RAM.

My internet connection is DSL and it goes through my LAN card. Sadly, even though I connected the modem to the LAN card, I still get no internet. How do I configure the Networking and stuff on it? I've absolutely no idea how to work with Windows 98, so I need some help from you guys.

My mainboard's chipset is SiS 530 by the way.

Does your LAN card show up in Device Manager?

If not, then it hasn't been detected either, along with your sound card!

If you have the driver disks for the sound card and LAN card, just install them manually.

:)

First thing is likely to be - add the motherboard drivers (especially if the thernet interface is built in)

Second - make sure you have the right kind of 'modem' lead: you may need a x-over for that kind of connection, instead of a straight thru (not all are automatically adjusted)

third - ensure that you have added the necessary protocols for the networking, especially the TCP/IP for your ethernet connection (and get it set to whatever is necessary for the modem)

@dandnsmith

I don't really know how to do all that. I know that SiS530 is supported by his OS, but the problem is that it just can't seem to detect my sound card. I don't know a thing about hardware and networking, so basically, I'm beside myself with worry :unsure:

@Dave-H

I don't have the disks. This is just a 2nd-hand computer from an uncle's friend, so its probably still with em in another city. :blink:

If you don't have the driver disks for your sound card and LAN card, you can probably download the drivers from the web (using another computer of course!)

You do need to know what make and model they are of course!

If they are separate cards and not part of the motherboard, you'll probably find this information printed somewhere on the cards themselves.

Are either or both or none of the cards are listed in your Device Manager?

:)

I finally found the driver disks! They've been in our family's storage room for ages! Yahooo!! I'm actually typing this from the very same PC running Soporific's OS! Thanks Dave-H for your help! I never would have thought of searching for the driver disks if it weren't for you! You rock and this OS rocks! :thumbup