Windows XP OEM Version

Drazick

Hello.

I have a laptop which has Windows XP Home OEM license.

Yet the version I get from the manufacture is bloated, how can I get a clean installation?

Where can I get an OEM Installation?

Thanks.

I responded to your other topic (ref. Convert to NTFS).

I have a laptop which has Windows XP Home OEM license.

Yet the version I get from the manufacture is bloated, how can I get a clean installation?

How do you mean "bloated"? XP is XP... The only bloat you may get is in the extras installed (beyond XP) by the OEM PreInstall (or by you) and any XP-oriented components installed. Do you clean the Internet Cache occasionally and your Temp folder occasionally? Please explain...
Where can I get an OEM Installation?
The original Install folder is either on the C: drive or the D: drive (if it is indeed the recovery partition). In other words, you already have an OEM version.

If you don't understand these items you may be playing with fire... Example - Some OEM's have an XP Pro PE on the Recovery partition, have special OEMBIOS.xxx files for the Build, and another set of OEMBIOS.xxx files in the actual running XP (on the Primary or C: drive). I learned all of this the hard way when having to reconstruct a Compaq with XP Home OEM (with recovery partition). It's not an easy thing to construct an Install CD if you don't understand...

Or... just go to NewEgg and get an XP Home OEM (not free, dude) and just stomp on what you have (what a waste of an already installed XP). A Clean Install involves installing on an Empty Partition from some sort of Install Media...

I also want to point out that if the OEM preinstalled your Burning Software, your MS Office, etc. (I did a search on your other posts) then they will be irretrievable unless the OEM supplied you with separate CD's for each.

What is your point in posting this topic, anyway?

Edited by submix8c

Hello.

I guess I wasn't clear enough.

I have Acer OEM version which includes drivers and other preinstalled applications.

I want to install Windows XP again. A clean install, just XP SP2 Home edition.

What I was asking is, where can I get Windows XP which fits my license (OEM Home Edition)?

So I could use it to reinstall my system without having to have all Acer's preinstalled software.

Since I do have a license I thought maybe there is a place I get it legally.

Thanks for helping.

The point is one: I want a clean and slim install of XP using my current OEM license.

Edited by Drazick

When you get it legally (i.e. buy it), you should get a new license.

I must point out that the RTM, SP1, SP1a, and SP2 Releases may or may not accept the license you have. This applies to OEM, Retail (i.e. Full), and Upgrade versions. In other words, and OEM key is only good for OEM Versions, but sometimes only good for the Release initially installed. Example - Key for OEM Home SP1 accepted by OEM Home SP1 but not accepted by OEM Home SP2.

If you were to (re)construct a CD from your original preinstall, then you already have the install software and the associated key (e.g. license). (This was already mentioned.)

Your only other alternative is to pirate a copy and that is NOT condoned, so don't ask!

edit: have you browsed for an I386 folder (not a Service Pack I386 folder)? there's your install software!

Edited by submix8c

If it came with a windows xp recovery disk, use that. It will be pre-activated since ASUS uses OEMBIOS activation, meaning any ASUS windows xp disk will work on any ASUS computer, essentially. Or, you could get any OEM version, take note of the key of the system installed - the key of the windows install actually on the HDD will almost certainly be different from the one on the COA because of how OEM's do activation and such. So, use some sort of key-finder utility, save the key somewhere other than on your laptop, then get any OEM XP home disk - it can be any brand or unbranded, and any SP, too, just it has to be OEM - then install windows. When you go to activate, use the key that you saved. If that fails, use the key on the COA, and if that fails, call MS activation and give them the key on the COA and follow their directions. ;)

If you were to (re)construct a CD from your original preinstall, then you already have the install software and the associated key (e.g. license). (This was already mentioned.)

Your only other alternative is to pirate a copy and that is NOT condoned, so don't ask!

edit: have you browsed for an I386 folder (not a Service Pack I386 folder)? there's your install software!

I have the following directories on C:

i386,

VALUEADD,

dotnetfx,

My license key is for XP SP2 Home OEM Edition,

Can I construct a clean installation from that (Could you tall me how)? And maybe using Nlite to add SP3 and up to date drivers?

Many thanks.

The i386 directory itself should rarely if ever contain such things. Open up notepad, then open <i386 directory>\winnt.sif. If it exists, post it here AFTER YOU REMOVE THE PRODUCT KEY (if one is present), and we can let you know if it looks like there's anything to add stuff, although I doubt there would be.

Hello.

I guess I wasn't clear enough.

I have Acer OEM version which includes drivers and other preinstalled applications.

I want to install Windows XP again. A clean install, just XP SP2 Home edition.

What I was asking is, where can I get Windows XP which fits my license (OEM Home Edition)?

So I could use it to reinstall my system without having to have all Acer's preinstalled software.

Since I do have a license I thought maybe there is a place I get it legally.

Thanks for helping.

The point is one: I want a clean and slim install of XP using my current OEM license.

Can't you just pull the original CD from a torrent website, then use your own CD key!

Dont forget to drop your Drivers to disk first though ;)