Driver problem at boot up

slipk487

im setting up a old laptop with a wireless card and now everytime i boot it up i get 2 errors. it says that a device dile that is specified in the SYSTEM.INF file is damaged and the 2 files are vnetsup.vxd and vredir.vxd. i have no idea what do to to fix those errors during the boot up process. both of the files are in the system folder.

What is damaged is the system.ini file where it mentions those files. If this happened within 5 booting days ago you could do scanreg /restore at boot up DOS mode and select a cab file from before when this started happening and get a fully working system.ini file back into play.

In addition to the registry getting backed up, system.ini and win.ini are also backed up in the day to day operation of scanregw and the five day rotating rb000.cab file scheme.

You certainly could restore an earlier version of the system files using scanreg as stated.

However, you will lose any other information recently written into the registry if you do that.

Try opening system.ini in notepad (or DOS edit if you can't actually start Windows.)

Find the entries for the queried files and disable them by putting a semi-colon at the start of the lines that include them.

That should make the boot error messages go away, but you will then have to investigate whether your network facilites are working properly, or at all.

:)