Integrating SP3

LooieENG

It took me 2 hours to find all the files to delete, and I got tired of doing it by hand every new beta, lol. Once I had the master file list, I created a dump to text to list all the files with their directory structure. That took even longer as it has been ages since I tried to use some old school DOS. All in all, 5 hours worth of work to create the script. Now, integration, cleanup and iso creation is done in under 10 minutes.

Edited by Mt.Dew

if space is a concern, wouldnt it be best to add to the script you got there to use makecab.exe to recompress the new sp3 asms files then... just a sugestion.

Well, I did not write the script for the purpose of making the final image to be as small as possible. The script was written just to clean up the unnecessary files after integration, and also to remove the plugin.oc_ file. Alos, the removal of the dotnetfx folder is option, but I normally do not remove it because I use software that needs .net. However, anyone could use the script inconjuntion of compressing the cab files. I find that excessive as it increases install times. Not by much, but on lower end systems, it is more pronounce install times.

Hey all,

so some of you install SP3 on a gold XP disc. But what about MS requirements? They stated that SP3 needs at least SP1 and SP2 would be recommended:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsxp/cc164204.aspx

What's up with that? And is that only for updates whereas slipstreaming is not concerned? I mean, how does MS slipstream their new discs, do they also insert SP1 and 2?

Ummm that requirement is for a PRE-installed and running system...

If you try to install it on a system installed with XP gold it will tell you SP1a at least is REQUIRED.

I am currently on an SP3 final system that was integrated on a gold disk.

To install SP3, your computer must meet the hardware and operating system requirements listed below. In addition, your computer must at least be running Windows XP with Service Pack 1 installed.

We recommended that you have Service Pack 2 installed before installing SP3.

See this means installed and installing, not slipstreaming.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

ja I kinda figured that (maybe I asked the wrong way), but why do they require the old SPs in case of an update installation?

I mean I don't care, I have those installed of course (my problem is rather the other one, I have no Gold OEM disc, my disc is post-SP2), I was just wondering...

Yes, that is only an issue when installing SP3 over top of an already existing XP installation. SP3 isn't supposed to work on an XP RTM installation, but is supposed to work on an XP SP1 or SP2 installation. When slipstreaming, RTM, SP1 or SP2 XP sources may be used.

Edit: I have no idea why an earlier Service Pack would be required under current installations when installing SP3. AFAIK, this is the first time there's been any requirement like this for any Windows NT version and Service Pack. I wonder why, too. Especially since the slipstreaming works without a previous Service Pack.

On a side note and forgive if this is covered elsewhere, I had this issue with betas and RCs of SP3 but I ignored it since they weren't RTM.

In summary, if you perform the slipstreaming of SP3 into XP Corporate under Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008, then it will no longer accept your proper VLK keys. I don't know if similar issues are present when performing slipstreams to other editions of XP under Vista/Server 2008.

Other people have confirmed that they still had this issue with SP3 RTM, and I did as well. Re-slipstreaming under XP SP2 instead of under Vista allowed the resulting installation source to still accept my VLK keys.

Links to articles and/or user comments pertaining to this issue:

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpo...=0&pageid=3

http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/pa...ufacturing.aspx

I would suggest that at least for now, nLite check to see which OS it's running under and if it's Vista or Server 2008, then to warn users when attempting a Service Pack slipstream. Unless an official work-around is discovered and implemented.

Edited by roirraW "edor" ehT

I want to integrate SP3 and IE7. How do I integrate it so that SP3 updates my IE7 instead of IE6 (it updates depending on what you have on your system but I don't know how it is on slipstreaming)??

I mean should I do

1 - SP0 + SP3 + IE7

or

2 - SP0 + SP2 + IE7 + SP3

or

3 - SP0 + SP3 + IE7 + SP3 (again to update IE7)

I assume that SP0 + IE7 + SP3 is impossible since IE7 was made after SP2...

P.S.: SP0 = WINDOWS XP GOLD (THE ONE FROM 2001)

e:\sp3\sp3.exe /integrate:e:\finished

rmdir /s /q e:\finished\cmpnents

rmdir /s /q e:\finished\dotnetfx

del /q /f e:\finished\WIN51IP.SP2

del /q /f e:\finished\i386\PLUGIN.OC_

del /q /f e:\finished\i386\SP2.CAB

del /q /f e:\finished\i386\SP2.CAT

del /q /f e:\finished\i386\ASMS\70\POLICY\MSFT\MSWINCRT\MSWINCRT.CA_

del /q /f e:\finished\i386\ASMS\70\MSFT\WINDOWS\MSWINCRT\MSVCIRT.DL_

del /q /f e:\finished\i386\ASMS\70\MSFT\WINDOWS\MSWINCRT\MSVCRT.DL_

del /q /f e:\finished\i386\ASMS\70\MSFT\WINDOWS\MSWINCRT\MSWINCRT.CA_

del /q /f e:\finished\i386\ASMS\60\POLICY\60\COMCTL\COMCTL.CA_

del /q /f e:\finished\I386\ASMS\60\MSFT\WINDOWS\COMMON\CONTROLS\COMCTL32.DL_

del /q /f e:\finished\I386\ASMS\60\MSFT\WINDOWS\COMMON\CONTROLS\CONTROLS.CA_

del /q /f e:\finished\I386\ASMS\52\POLICY\MSFT\WINDOWS\NETWORKING\RTCDLL\RTCDLL.CA_

del /q /f e:\finished\I386\ASMS\52\POLICY\MSFT\WINDOWS\NETWORKING\DXMRTP\DXMRTP.CA_

del /q /f e:\finished\I386\ASMS\52\MSFT\WINDOWS\NET\RTCRES\RTCRES.CA_

del /q /f e:\finished\I386\ASMS\52\MSFT\WINDOWS\NET\RTCRES\RTCRES.DL_

del /q /f e:\finished\I386\ASMS\52\MSFT\WINDOWS\NET\RTCDLL\RTCDLL.CA_

del /q /f e:\finished\I386\ASMS\52\MSFT\WINDOWS\NET\RTCDLL\RTCDLL.DL_

del /q /f e:\finished\I386\ASMS\52\MSFT\WINDOWS\NET\DXMRTP\DXMRTP.CA_

del /q /f e:\finished\I386\ASMS\52\MSFT\WINDOWS\NET\DXMRTP\DXMRTP.DL_

del /q /f e:\finished\I386\ASMS\2\DEFAULT\DEFAULT.CA_

del /q /f e:\finished\I386\ASMS\10\POLICY\MSFT\WINDOWS\GDIPLUS\GDIPLUS.CA_

del /q /f e:\finished\I386\ASMS\10\MSFT\WINDOWS\GDIPLUS\GDIPLUS.CA_

del /q /f e:\finished\I386\ASMS\10\MSFT\WINDOWS\GDIPLUS\GDIPLUS.DL_

del /q /f e:\finished\I386\ASMS\1\DEFAULT\DEFAULT.CA_

i386\PLUGIN.OC_ not found :no:

I want to integrate SP3 and IE7. How do I integrate it so that SP3 updates my IE7 instead of IE6 (it updates depending on what you have on your system but I don't know how it is on slipstreaming)??

I mean should I do

1 - SP0 + SP3 + IE7

or

or

You should always slipstream Service Packs before anything else. You are correct I believe IE7 requires SP2 minimum. I've noted in this thread http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=73960#73960 that XP with SP3 doesn't even list IE7 on Microsoft Update; not as critical or optional. Not until they fix it. So even if you manually install (or integrate) IE7 on XP SP3, you won't be able to tell if all of the current IE7 hotfixes are applied since MU also won't list IE7's hotfixes under SP3, from what I understand.

I mean should I do

1 - SP0 + SP3 + IE7

or

or

You should always slipstream Service Packs before anything else. You are correct I believe IE7 requires SP2 minimum. I've noted in this thread http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=73960#73960 that XP with SP3 doesn't even list IE7 on Microsoft Update; not as critical or optional. Not until they fix it. So even if you manually install (or integrate) IE7 on XP SP3, you won't be able to tell if all of the current IE7 hotfixes are applied since MU also won't list IE7's hotfixes under SP3, from what I understand.

Yeah I already figured that out!! Can anyone give a list of all updates released for IE7 since its release? I want to also integrate them because I can't get them from Windows Update (or Microsoft Update if you wich!).

XP Gold iso size = 492 megs

XP SP1a iso size = 507 megs

XP SP2 iso size = 582 megs

XP SP1a + SP2 iso size = 594 megs

XP SP1a + SP2 + SP3 iso size = 624 megs

XP SP3 iso size = 593 megs

For your file sizes what versions are you using? For my english iso's my gold is 488MB and my SP2 is 579MB both are Pro VL versions. I also noticed on MSDN they have a Pro SP2 VL version that is 586.62MB (looks like the same size and file as the non VL and the tablet versions)... none of which match your sizes... Microsoft has too many versions of the same **** thing.

MSDN Link: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/subscript...t.aspx?pm=p:140 for versions and file sizes... bla bla bla.

Also as for order... What happens if you don't integrate IE7 but install it after windows is setup? Do the hotfixes for IE7 show up on Windows Update? Anyways, the method that would be most logical to me would be to slipstream SP3 to a Microsoft integrated SP2 source, install that, check MS Update download any hotfixes, start over with the MS integrated SP2 source, slipstream SP3 onto that again, integrate IE7, then integrate any hotfixes that showed up on MS Update. You would do the same thing for WMP11.

Step 1.) MS SP2 XP Source -> Slip SP3 -> Setup WINXP -> Install IE7/WMP11 -> Check MS Update -> Download Hotfixes

Step 2.) MS SP2 XP Source -> Slip SP3 -> Integrate IE7/WMP11 -> Integrate any needed Hotfixes

Step 3.) Dance (this step is optional)

I have yet to test any of this though as I am very lazy...

Edited by godan