How To Host A File

Redhatcc

Well what i would like to do is host a file from a XP machine so i can give someone a link to download it. Is this a simple thing?

Also is there a way save the info of who downloaded what like ip etc?

Edited by Redhatcc

Probably the easiest way is like UserNaMeJoe is suggesting. There are other places that do this too, such as rapidshare and megaupload (and plenty more). If you live in the US MSN/Hotmail/Windows Live has a new feature where you can upload files and provide people with a download link (I was reading about it a while ago but its only available in US so don't have a link handy - should find it easy with google).

The other option, if you want to actually host it on your own PC is to use some sort of FTP server. I haven't done this myself but I'm sur it'd be fairly straight forward and I'm sure there'd be some free/opensource software about to do this with. If you're using a ADSL modem/router, you'll probably need to setup port forwarding so your FTP server will be visible to the net.

use www.mediafire.com it is best file hosting server with information of downloads.

well there is a couple reasons i dont have it set up with a file hosting site but...

filezilla will allow you to let people download files from your computer?

There are multiple ways to host a file from your computer.

1. You could create your own web server.

Check YouTube for videos on "Apache Server"

2. You could use a online file hosting service:

a. Rapidshare

b. Email based (LiveSkyDrive, GoogleDocs, YahooDocs)

c. MediaFire

d. Box.net

e. Other

3. A free program like PodMailing (makes a sort of torrent like file)

Google PodMailing and read about how it works.

4. Online services like those others mentioned

I agree with Jeremy that FileZilla Server is a very handy and convenient tool to host your files. It can show you who connects to your computer (their IP's) and you can set username and password for specific people (i.e. some of your friends).

PM me if you need any help with it - I'll answer :)

If you have a dynamic IP and most people do then you will have an issue with people trying to connect to your computer after the IP has changed. I just set up apache and I also have a dynamic IP. I use a router so other computers on the network can connect to my ISP. There are ways around the dynamic IP issue. You can go to a free DDNS host site like www.no-ip.com or http://www.dyndns.com/. I went with dyndns b/c it was already integrated into my netgear router. So all I had to do was put my username and password and everytime my ip changes the router updates the new ip to the website. A friend of mine uses no-ip because he doesn’t use a router and they have a little app. that updates the new IP.