Windows 95 Explorer update

This patched explorer.exe for Windows 95 (w/o Internet explorer shell update)

adds a 'addressbar' to the classic explorer, plus adds some other features I

added to my custom Windows 98 (with Windows 95 Explorer).

This version allowes you to edit the addressbar text, however you cannot

change directories yet; Please report any problems you encounter

- Extended 'Exploring ...' label from STATIC to EDIT, which is used addressbar

- Removed 'Contents of %s' label, mostly NOPed, partly substituded with address

bar control

- Bypasses in procedure that updates the addressbar (previous STATIC control)

- For focusing, code from the toolbar combo is used for addressbar

- Disabled mouse cursor handling, so addressbar will show proper cursor

- Hacked stuff to suppress accelerator handling while addressbar has focus

- Fixed lots of other tabbing issues

- Disabled '< Click here to begin' rendering, you may now remove this text and

icon

- True color icon support ( http://www.dr-hoiby.com/TrayIconIn256Color )

- Updated startmenu bitmap (blue-black instead of grey background)

Notes:

- 'Folders', 'Contents of %s' and 'Click here to begin' string resources are

obsolete

- Icon for 'Click here to begin' is obsolete

Download:

http://ctuser.net/download.php?win98pro,ex...5patch_0510.zip

Installation:

In MS-Dos mode, make a backup of explorer.exe and replace explorer.exe with the

new one

Best combined with my shell update

http://www.msfn.org/board/Windows-95-shell...te-t111730.html

Edited by Controller

Interesting.

Have you considered to port (and why not, collabotate with) the open source ROS Shell ? :w00t:

Dude, i think you're getting too annoying with this. Win95 is Win95, while ROS aims to be compatible with NT. It's a totally different beast, built for a totally different purpose. Besides, they have a long long long way to go, i tried it on a real machine a few months ago and it wouldn't even boot.

:thumbup C O O L! ***i Wonder.....if could be possible to implement this as to be compatible with Windows3.1 or 3.11wupg- WindowsExploreras i need this system to work in order to upgrade to Win95 with Win95 Upgrade CD-ROM with an older Pentium1 7-socket:(*prayin' for a cpu-memory upgrade to fall from thy heavens:),32MB RAM,133Mhz,66Mhz Bus,w/2HDD's=501MB&234MB,cdrom,IntelMoBo as far as bios shows......***Would like to use with w3.1 on small HDD;then have basic w95 on larger drive w/outside sharin'(network or home use)as have MicrosoftWindows95 Training Certification Manuals(Vol:1&2and CD-ROM) to show how to inter-connect systems in many useful/interestin ways**Rebuildin'as we speak whole tower ........hope this works well :rolleyes: thydreamwalker

Dude, i think you're getting too annoying with this. Win95 is Win95, while ROS aims to be compatible with NT.

OK, but please READ my post. I clearly sayd "Have you considered to port", so it's not a "ROS-promotion" reply. It's more an "why don't you join open source, it's better for everyone" instead.

BTW, ROS explorer it's the most similar to the original MS one, to me you can adopt an alternative shell too (check here):

Shells

• Litestep (license:GPL)
  • BEOSWin (license: ?)
  • DarkStep (license: ?)
  • Blackbox for Windows (license:GPL)
  • Krono Junior (license:GPL)
  • SharpE (license:LGPL)
  • Blueberry 3D-Desktop (license:GPL)
  • Serenade (license:GPL)
  • xoblite (license:GPL)
  • Emerge Desktop (license:GPL)
  • GeoShell (license:GPL)
  • LiteShell (license: GPL-compatible)
  • GXExplorer (license:GPL)
  • Direct UI (license: ?)

:hello: Edited by patchworks

Dude, i think you're getting too annoying with this. Win95 is Win95, while ROS aims to be compatible with NT.

OK, but please READ my post. I clearly sayd "Have you considered to port", so it's not a "ROS-promotion" reply. It's more an "why don't you join open source, it's better for everyone" instead.

BTW, ROS explorer it's the most similar to the original MS one, to me you can adopt an alternative shell too

I read it. Yes, adopting an alternative shell for win9x would be cool, but a waste of resources imo. Everybody making litestep themes believes that we are running 640x480 on 50 inch screens (ridiculously small fonts if you didn't get what i'm saying), EcyStep by n4orcer is the only good theme i have ever seen for ls. SharpE is nice but still very buggy, blackbox just sucks, as for the other ones, i haven't tested them.

But all these alternative shells have one thing in common: you can't use the desktop the way it's supposed to be used. No drag and drop. That's a MAJOR drawback for anyone who has used windoze for a long time.

Don't get me wrong, i like open source software, but everybody creating alternative shells is focusing on the wrong features.

Edited by Th3_uN1Qu3

But all these alternative shells have one thing in common: you can't use the desktop the way it's supposed to be used. No drag and drop. That's a MAJOR drawback for anyone who has used windoze for a long time.

Don't get me wrong, i like open source software, but everybody creating alternative shells is focusing on the wrong features.

That's the reason why i suggested to port the ROS shell:

ROS Explorer FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

Q: What is this "ROS explorer" ?

A: It is a freely available program intended as replacement of MS Windows Explorer in the upcoming open source operation system ReactOS. It covers the explorer functionalities of desktop, explorer windows, desktop bar with start menu, task bar and notification area (where you can see the "tray icons"). It is not yet complete, it's work in progress. However you can already work with it. I have installed it for me as default shell. This is the best way to find problems with it, and to encounter, which functions are missing the most.

ros-explorer-small.png

(click to see more details)

This could also benefit both projects (and not only, IMHO): you could have a good codebase and they can have the 9x-compatible version.

BTW, as an Haiku fan, I believe we could give a chance to BEOSWin...

• 1 month later...