setup was unable to open information file games.inf

betamax

I made an nLite'd CD a while back and chose the option to omit games from the install. Later on down the road I tried to add or remove a windows component, and am greeted with a nice message.

post-47403-1208488880_thumb.jpg

It seems that file was needed after all. It is not in my nLite'd CD. So my questions are:

Why is it looking for games.inf?

Can I stop it from looking for games.inf via an ini file or registry entry?

I googled this error message before posting here. I actually found a lot of hits. However, the one thing in common among all the hits was that nobody replied with any useful information other than copying the games.inf file from the windows cd to c:\windows\inf. But my cd doesn't have that file because I created an nLite'd with the option to remove games.

Will this thread join the ranks of the countless others like it? Only time will tell...

Edited by betamax

Well it looks like I might have answered my own question. So for those with the same problem, here is what I did:

I poked around and found a file located at c:\windows\inf\sysoc.inf. One section in particular to note is:

Games=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,games.inf,HIDE,7
AccessUtil=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,accessor.inf,,7
CommApps=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,communic.inf,HIDE,7
MultiM=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,multimed.inf,HIDE,7
AccessOpt=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,optional.inf,HIDE,7
Pinball=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,pinball.inf,HIDE,7
MSWordPad=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,wordpad.inf,HIDE,7
ZoneGames=zoneoc.dll,ZoneSetupProc,igames.inf,,7

I commented out the "Games=" line by putting a semicolon in front of it. Then tried again. This time it complained about pinball.inf. So I did the same thing to the pinball line. It also complained about igames.inf, so I commented out the igames line as well. That section now looks like this:

;Games=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,games.inf,HIDE,7
AccessUtil=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,accessor.inf,,7
CommApps=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,communic.inf,HIDE,7
MultiM=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,multimed.inf,HIDE,7
AccessOpt=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,optional.inf,HIDE,7
;Pinball=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,pinball.inf,HIDE,7
MSWordPad=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,wordpad.inf,HIDE,7
;ZoneGames=zoneoc.dll,ZoneSetupProc,igames.inf,,7

And now I am able to access the add/remove windows components program (incidentally the program can be executed from the command line as sysocmgr.exe.)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, this is only my 2nd post on the forum but I found this thread after having the same problem just now with the error message about not being able to find pinball.inf. This thread solved my problem. I created an XP SP1 CD with pinball removed. However I don't know how I also managed to removed some services: Automatic Updates and COM + Event System being 2 of them. Also, the "Dependencies" tag was missing from Services. I couldn't understand why this had happened- the only customizations I made to my CD were: adding and removing some Search Assistants, adding some fonts and wav sounds, and installing Esheep to system32 :lol: I went to install IIS and Networking Components just now using add/remove Windows components. The missing services have come back and so has the Dependencies tab. :rolleyes: But I've just downloaded the file from here because of the Automatic Updates error.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...