Windows XP unattended from Bart PE

I have a problem that is driving me nuts...

The Scenario:

I need to install Windows XP from a DVD unattended.

It is not a normal install since the Documents and Settings needs to be on dirve d:

(This is done in the Winnt.sif with: ProfilesDir="D:\Documents and Settings\")

So since I cant make NTFS partitions from Dos and dont have Windows Pe, I had to

use Bart PE.

I succeded in putting Windows XP and Bart PE on the same DVD, starting Bart up,

wipe, partition and format the disk. So far so good.

To install Windows from Bart I use this bat file with this line:

x:\XPSP2\i386\Winnt32.exe /syspart:c: /tempdrive:c: unattend:x:\XPSP2\i386\Winnt.sif

The install starts nicely and after the "Copy Files" it exits and reboots the PC.

This is were the problems starts...

Instead of continuing the setup from the T39 phase, it starts from scratch were it wants

me to choose a partition to install Windows to. If I choose a to continue the install and

choose c: to install to it stops just before "Copy Files" with: Setup was unable to verify drive c:

(It seem like it cant find the file on the DVD.

I have tried the /makelocaksource switch, copy winnt.sif and some other files and everything

goes great, but its takes a much longer with this option cus it copies twice.

If anyone have any clue on how I get through this proces sane Ill really appreciate it.

Any help will be great.

Edited by fusan

This may not solve your problem, but when I needed to put the default profiles directory on drive D: without using WINNT.sif. I changed

DEFAULT_PROFILES_DIR="%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings"

to

DEFAULT_PROFILES_DIR="D:\Profiles"

in a file named HIVESFT.inf in the I386 directory. I just have to make sure that partition D: has a filesystem(formatted to fat32 or ntfs) before I start the installation.

I haven't made the whole unattended thing work yet, but this part of seems to.

Hope this helps,

ebaysuks

• 4 weeks later...

Thx for the answers guys

@ebaysuks

Even though your answer didnt help, it was an interesting alternative to including "Doc and Set" in Winnt.sif.

I might find a proper use for that in the future

@TheAzazel

Basicly Ive found out that I can not use the Winnt32 command from a DVD without the /makelocalsource switch.

The only really alternative is to copy the i386 folder to the local drive... witch I think is the same as using the

/makelocalsource switch.

I

To install Windows from Bart I use this bat file with this line:

x:\XPSP2\i386\Winnt32.exe /syspart:c: /tempdrive:c: unattend:x:\XPSP2\i386\Winnt.sif

Don't know if it helps, but mine used to do the 'endless reboot' thing with the /tempdrive switch, i just have it without and it works...

@JuMz

Sry m8 it didnt help.

woops, AND using the /makelocalsource switch :)

It should be /makelocalsource:all if you are using TPC or MCE (I use it anyway for XP). It will copy the CMPNENTS folder down too.

Edited by JuMz

I believe a solution also exists by copying some files off the cd manually to the system drive and overwritting the exisiting ones...was it NTLDR? I don't recall. Check out the RyanVM Forum. I remember having somewhat the same issue, and alternatives were posted there...

Well even though I use /makelocalsource switch I have to manually copy some files to make the installations work.

What do the /makelocalsource:all do compared to the regular /makelocalsource?

Well even though I use /makelocalsource switch I have to manually copy some files to make the installations work.

What do the /makelocalsource:all do compared to the regular /makelocalsource?

It should be /makelocalsource:all if you are using TPC or MCE (I use it anyway for XP). It will copy the CMPNENTS folder down.

The :all is a must for Tablet PC Edition and Media Center Edition installations when using winnt32.