Win9x Developer team

I hate when legal issues intervene in good things. One more thing: is Microsoft affiliated with this forum? If so, MS should give a **** that people still think about Windows 98 (It's bad for business, I know).

As far as i know Microsoft is not affiliated in any way with this forum.

I hate when legal issues intervene in good things. One more thing: is Microsoft affiliated with this forum? If so, MS should give a **** that people still think about Windows 98 (It's bad for business, I know).

at the bottom of every page:

All trademarks mentioned on this page are the property of their respective owners

MSFN is not affiliated with Microsoft

Copyright © 2001-2008 msfn.org

yeah they know about us but they arent affiliated at all.

We should do the same make copyrighted updates :sneaky: :sneaky:

Software patents and intellectual property only benefit the company that owns them. They interfere with competition and make good software development difficult for everyone else. Sadly, we live in a world where big companies like M$ can purchase influence and get laws written that benefit them at the expense of the people and small companies. They're wrong and should be outlawed, but lawmakers don't have the moral backbone to change it. If we managed to produce code worth patenting, doing so would only make the situation worse.

Rick

...yet software patenting and intellectual property, as well as implicit copyright, are the backbone of private development. This is the frontline defense against anyone - large or small - being able to outright steal another's work. In fact, its true of all publishing.

Implicit copyright is held by all software developers. If, for instance, MS decided to 'borrow' uberskin, Tihiy could sue their pants off. They can make a facimile that does the same thing albeit using a different method (which incidentally you could say about uberskin, a skinning engine that hooks differently than XP's), but they can't pirate code.

Why is this thread turning into spam? Copyrighted to WHO, may i ask?

I didn't mean to offend anyone.This is not a spam I just said that we should do the same with Microsoft.They are making the most protected patents as far as I know.I just was making fun about it and you got serious for that.Ok i am removing the post.Sorry for that

I am sorry for that post

Edited by puntoMX

I am sorry for that post

Hey, no need to be sorry. This thread isn't going anywhere, with or without your post.

@ other posts above: If we're getting into corporate copyright BS already, then we won't be able to do a darn thing. I propose the following:

1. We actually start discussing useful stuff, get in touch with the developers here and ask their opinion on this.

or

2. We request deletion of this thread by the mods and just leave things as they are.

I am sorry for that post

Hey, no need to be sorry. This thread isn't going anywhere, with or without your post.

@ other posts above: If we're getting into corporate copyright BS already, then we won't be able to do a darn thing. I propose the following:

1. We actually start discussing useful stuff, get in touch with the developers here and ask their opinion on this.

or

2. We request deletion of this thread by the mods and just leave things as they are.

@Th3_uN1Qu3 (or whatever): Great idea~

We should ask someone who can make project for all 9x series not just windows98.

@Th3_uN1Qu3 Is windows millennium working good.A friend of mine said that windows millennium is a lot better than windows98se

I want anyone who has experience to answer the following question

1.Will ordinary setup creators and patch makers work for a pack intended for updating process for windows9x series.

We should ask someone who can make project for all 9x series not just windows98.

@Th3_uN1Qu3 Is windows millennium working good.A friend of mine said that windows millennium is a lot better than windows98se

As it comes out of the box it is worse. Tweaked, it is indeed better. More stable and better underlying architecture - i used to get severe network issues in 98 on my laptop (when i used the network/internet everything would stutter, from sound to HDD activity to mouse cursor), i don't get that in ME. Basically ME is a mix of 98SE and 2000.

It has two major downsides though - you can't get pure DOS in ME (there is an unofficial DOS patch but that messes other things up), so you won't be able to play all old games. And there's that stupid memory leak. ME has to be rebooted once every few days, if ran 24/7 for extended periods it'll eventually slow down to a crawl then crash.

I want anyone who has experience to answer the following question

1.Will ordinary setup creators and patch makers work for a pack intended for updating process for windows9x series.

Yes.

so i believe that the law stuff and some other things have been cleared so we can focus on work.

Advantages of current state:

a) people who made the updates are doing the best job they can when each of them is focused on single thing

B) this way can be created more updates

c) people are free in things they do

Disatvantages of current state:

a) no complete localization possible

B) updates may be incompatibile one with each other

c) too many updates and people just dont know how to handle with them

d) harder implementation of some features (it is hard to add features when some things in system are missing)

e) missing/not public documentation

so i dont want to pust to anybody, but i think that some disadvantages must be removed. the goals of for the any developing are clear to any user who will continue to use Win9x system further and improve its stability and functionality. many parts of this have been already archieved bat they are spreaded all over and it tooks hours to pick them all up...