Win9x Developer team

the reason why i created this topic is to find ask all the people here if they want to participate. i guess that for domain or server was too early for now.

so if anybody wants to participate on future development for windows 9x in i a kind of team lets say it :)

i want to participate so much as i can :) so COUNT ME IN :)

the reason why i created this topic is to find ask all the people here if they want to participate. i guess that for domain or server was too early for now.

so if anybody wants to participate on future development for windows 9x in i a kind of team lets say it :)

i want to participate so much as i can :) so COUNT ME IN :)

I got that... But still no word from the "officials" (Tihiy, MDGx, Xeno86), and this thread has been around for a while.

Edited by Th3_uN1Qu3

But still no word from the "officials" (Tihiy, MDGx, Xeno86), and this thread has been around for a while.

Forget it, it's nearly impossible that already launched projects devs adbandon theyr babies just for a "hey guyz why don't we join forces ?" idea. FORGET IT.

You'll *probably* could involve them if you have a structured and launched standalone project...

Again: actually i don't know any other OPEN project (except ROS, of course) that could forge an alternative 9x developers team, so i'm inviting you to join (or, better, to get involved) in GNUWin.

Last but not least, i can also recycle my slogan (originally thinked for ROS):

GNUWin, open your windows to freedom.

Forget it, it's nearly impossible that already launched projects devs adbandon theyr babies just for a "hey guyz why don't we join forces ?" idea. FORGET IT.

You'll *probably* could involve them if you have a structured and launched standalone project...

Again: actually i don't know any other OPEN project (except ROS, of course) that could forge an alternative 9x developers team, so i'm inviting you to join (or, better, to get involved) in GNUWin.

Last but not least, i can also recycle my slogan (originally thinked for ROS):

GNUWin, open your windows to freedom.

Then this whole thread is f'ing pointless. I'm going back to eXPerience's 2k/XP/ sometimes even vista releases and running 98 in a virtual machine when i need it. That guy rocks, period.

Edited by Th3_uN1Qu3

i had a little talk from tihiy. he might join if the team should work. so i have to talk about its goals and methods:

1. Single upgrade package which will include all know official and unofficial win9x upgrades.

2. Structured installer

3. structured betatesting

4. knowledge base

5. localizations

6. Themes

7. also if possible to be legal.

for now i have combined several upgrades. Exuberants service pack, IE6, NET2.0, DX9.0c, vcredist 2008, uberskin and KEX into one machine. not bad solution but it took whole day.

only trouble is that not all content is localized. GNUwin is nice project, but apps are bit far from OS upgrades... good point for begginning which may help us to find good way in sw.

i had a little talk from tihiy. he might join if the team should work. so i have to talk about its goals and methods:

1. Single upgrade package which will include all know official and unofficial win9x upgrades.

2. Structured installer

4. knowledge base

5. localizations

6. Themes

for now i have combined several upgrades. Exuberants service pack, IE6, NET2.0, DX9.0c, vcredist 2008, uberskin and KEX into one machine. not bad solution but it took whole day.

only trouble is that not all content is localized. GNUwin is nice project, but apps are bit far from OS upgrades... good point for begginning which may help us to find good way in sw.

I look forward to this. I think it's possible, if we just work on structuring it and whatnot.

:thumbup GREAT IDEA's-just think of an outline of how to set up Web-Site Server(simular to msfn structure)...yet make it simple to find current information for any new testers or users.*As msfn-forums is still too spread out and difficult even for experienced visitors.A great outline=a great book.Check into some thing like what *Soporific did with Auto-Patcher Download Site it's simple yet concise .....and easily gets to the point;also *Ryan's site used for XP program/updates "rocks" as it is uniquely organized...(even though don't use XP, some do work in 98SE)these could be used as examples for outlining thee sites structure and foundation to build on.***Even use msfn-forums/9X/win98se areas to refer to new site using http-addresses to help as a middle-man,like a kick start or jump point to get to areas at new domain to allow users testers access to information there...... :blink:*"IF YOU'S BUILD IT ......THEY WILL COME!" :rolleyes: ....thydreamwalker

Well, as for GNUWin i believe that an "online updater" (aka package manager) would be useful.

For example i suggested to keep in some consideration TGUP - The Great Unattended Project (that unfortunally uses an exotic license and it's for NT/2000/XP), AppSnap and JackGet - from the Windows: Project JackHammer author (nl-stitch).

WPKG and GUP for w32 could be good alternatives, of course.

Hey win98 dev people,

I actually agree that my help could come from the patcher/installer side of things. I offer my services in at least creating an installer, prob with InnoSetup -- I can also do AutoIT and VB6 scripts.

In other news, I may be re-writing my AutoPatcher program in VB6 but i have to finish something else called lastXP v20 first. I haven't given up Win98 yet, just taking a break ;)

2. Structured installer

4. knowledge base

5. localizations

6. Themes

Aight, now you're talkin'. If Tihiy joins we'll be in for a good start. ;)

I can help with Romanian localization and as i said before, i can beta test on a variety of not-so-stable machines. :P I got a Pentium-MMX 200 running at 292MHz with 96MB RAM. a dual-PIII 667MHz with 768MB RAM (too bad win9x doesn't support SMP processing), my Portege 4010 laptop with PIII @ 933 and 496MB RAM (16MB shared video), and my main C2D rig with an E6550 @ 3.73GHz and 2GB RAM, there i can test both "in real-world" the RAM and >137GB HDD workarounds, and safely in a virtual machine.

Hey win98 dev people,

I actually agree that my help could come from the patcher/installer side of things. I offer my services in at least creating an installer, prob with InnoSetup -- I can also do AutoIT and VB6 scripts.

In other news, I may be re-writing my AutoPatcher program in VB6 but i have to finish something else called lastXP v20 first. I haven't given up Win98 yet, just taking a break ;)

Oh, so you're the one handling LastXP? I heard lots of good things about it. I never tried it though, i'm using eXPerience's Tiny Windows releases.

Edited by Th3_uN1Qu3

today i started to learn C++ so in near future i might be useful for app programming...

(Hello World :) )

:) I learn C++ at school (i'm in 10th grade) but it's the old borland crap, which is next to useless now. I like Python better. I also know a bit of ASM and keep learning it, but that's for a different sort of patches if you know what i mean. :whistle: I'm not much of a dev anyway, i'd love to be a game dev sometime in the future, but i'm just too lazy right now. :P

But as i said i can help with localization and testing, and i also have some gfx skills. I could get you more people working on the gfx team, there are a number of talented gfxers over at the forum i moderate.

It doesnt matter if you are writting in Borland Turbo C++ or what ever if your writting C++ rather then C that is the main thing because once you learn the language you use whatever IDE is most convienient, though you would be unlikely to do API programming in Turbo C++

today i started to learn C++ so in near future i might be useful for app programming...

(Hello World :) )

I have painful memories trying to learn C/C++ :puke::crazy:

I use (M)asm :yes:

[EDIT]

Most annoying C++ error: Cannot convert 'type1' to 'type2'

Edited by De@n