Get Rid of Adobe Reader's 6.0.6 PDF 1.6+ Nag Message

Update 05-08-08: Thanks to RetroOS's help, now I offer you also the patch for Adobe Acrobat 6.0.6 Standard!

So: AcroRd32.zip contains the patch for Adobe Reader 6.0.6 and Acrofull.zip, the new one for Adobe Acrobat 6.0.6 Standard.

Can someone please post very specific directions to apply the patch for Acrobat 6.0.6 Standard?

Although the Acrofull.pat file is linked in the original post, the directions are specific to the Acrobat Reader, not the full Acrobat 6.0.6.

I have NO experience with DOS, so here is what I've done:

In my version of Win XP there is no C:\Windows\command\ folder, so I created one, and placed the patch.exe file there.

My full version of acrobat 6.0.6 has:

Acrobat.exe in the C:\Program files\Adobe\Acrobat6.0\ folder,

rather than:

AcroRd32.exe in a C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ folder.

So, I placed the unzipped Acrofull.pat file in the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ folder

Then I renamed "Acrobat.exe" in that folder to "Acrobat.ori".

Now, I assume that the

"patch -p AcroRd32.ori AcroRd32.pat AcroRd32.exe"

command would have to be changed to something like:

"patch -p Acrobat.ori acrofull.pat Acrobat.exe".

I have tried various ways of running the patch -p... command from the XP "Run" box, as well as from the "Command Prompt" utility, but nothing has worked so far!

Can someone give VERY SPECIFIC directions for running the Acrofull.pat command in Windows XP?

Assume I know absolutely nothing about DOS (you'd be right)!

Thanks a bunch for any help or suggestions!

Ken B

Now, I assume that the

"patch -p AcroRd32.ori AcroRd32.pat AcroRd32.exe"

command would have to be changed to something like:

"patch -p Acrobat.ori acrofull.pat Acrobat.exe".

Hi, Ken!

I've just done that in XP and it works all right.

So, let's go about it, step by step.

This steps can be done using windows explorer:

i)Since you've created a C:\Windows\Command folder, let's work in it.

i.1) Start with an empty C:\Windows\Command folder;

i.2) Add to it a copy of Acrobat.exe

i.3) Rename it Acrobat.ori

ii)Now there is just one file in the C:\Windows\Command folder, and that's Acrobat.ori

ii.1) Add the unzipped Acrofull.pat file to C:\Windows\Command folder

ii.2) Add the unzipped Patch.exe file to C:\Windows\Command folder

Check that now there are just three files in the C:\Windows\Command folder, and they are:

Acrobat.ori

Acrofull.pat

Patch.exe

Now open a windows dos box. Now you have to work in it.

iii)It'll be in the C:\Documents and Settings\User folder or something like it, so issue the following commands:

iii.1) cd \Windows\Command <enter>

iii.2) patch -p Acrobat.ori acrofull.pat Acrobat.exe <enter>

iii.3) exit <enter>

The dos box closes by itself.

Check that now there are four files in the C:\Windows\Command folder, and they are:

Acrobat.ori

Acrofull.pat

Patch.exe

Acrobat.exe (this is the patched file)

This steps can be done using windows explorer:

Copy Acrobat.exe and Acrobat.ori back to the C:\Program files\Adobe\Acrobat6.0\ folder, and say yes when windows explorer asks you about overwriting Acrobat.exe. Still in the \Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\ folder, right-click on Acrobat.exe, choose Properties, and set the read-only attribute. Do the same with Acrobat.ori.

Start Acrobat normally, and enjoy your patched Acrobat.

BTW, why do you want to use the patched Acrobat 6.0.6 in Win XP?

Thanks, dencorso!

I should have no problem following your instructions.

One more question, though: Do I need to copy BOTH Acrobat.exe AND Acrobat.ori back to the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat folder? Why does Acrobat.ori need to be there?

My reason for trying this patch is to eliminate the VERY annoying pop-up "nag" message box (see the original post in this thread) that I see when I open just about ANY pdf file that I download:

"This file appears to use a new format that this version of Acrobat does not support. It may not display correctly. Adobe recommends that you upgrade to the latest version of out Acrobat products. Please visit our product site at <http://www.adobe.com/acrobat>"

It sure will be great if this patch stops those pop-ups!

Thanks again,

Ken B

One more question, though: Do I need to copy BOTH Acrobat.exe AND Acrobat.ori back to the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat folder? Why does Acrobat.ori need to be there?
Acrobat.ori is a backup of the unpatched original Acrobat.exe. You should save it just to be on the safe side, should you ever need it for some reason in the future. I call it playing it safe. But after you test the patched Acrobat.exe and confirm it's working OK, you may delete Acrobat.ori if you so wish. I just don't recommend it, because I think it safer to keep it, just in case. And yes, I trust the patch will do away with the nag message, both in 9x/ME and in XP. But don't forget to report your experience, because, AFAIK, you're the first to actually use it in XP, OK?

I should have no problem following your instructions.

Here's a more comfortable solution:

Unzip the files from my attachment to the Acrobat folder and run 'Patch.bat' - that's all.

No need to rename anything, and no need to keep a backup copy, because running 'Patch.bat' again will restore the original file.

AR606Patch.zip

Edited by fhub

Thanks again, dencorso!

Your patch works perfectly. I have tried opening a number of pdf files, and so far no nag warning box.

I have also run a couple of Word to pdf conversions, and everything seems to be working normally.

As you stated in your original post, when I check the "properties" for Acrobat.exe the appropriate version numbers have been successfully changed:

File Version: from 6.0.5.399 to 6.0.6.400

Product Version: from 6.0.6.2007010800 to 6.0.6.2008011100

I applied your patch before I saw the above post from fhub, offering an alternate patch.

Thanks fhub! I've downloaded a copy of your patch for future use, if needed.

Ken B

Thanks fhub! I've downloaded a copy of your patch for future use, if needed.

No problem, Ken!

My patch does exactly the same, but without changing the version number (I don't see what this should be good for!?), so only one byte is modified. And the included 'Patcher.exe' has the advantage, that a second usage restores the original file again.

But otherwise there's almost no difference ...

Regards,

Franz

My patch does exactly the same, but without changing the version number (I don't see what this should be good for!?), so only one byte is modified.
The general idea behind the version change is to help the user confirm, at a later time, whether his/her file is already patched or not. Some patches are less obvious in their effects than this one, so it's a good practice. Just that.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dencorso, thanks for the reply. I'm pretty computer literate, but I don't do stuff like this often. Could you tell me what "%windir%/command" refers to? How would I get to that folder? (From step #2, dropping in the patch.exe file)

Dencorso, thanks for the reply. I'm pretty computer literate, but I don't do stuff like this often. Could you tell me what "%windir%/command" refers to? How would I get to that folder? (From step #2, dropping in the patch.exe file)
"C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND"... just a variable insertion (for Windows 9x, not NT/XP-etc). AFAIK, you can use the "PATCH.EXE" from any folder, the significance of placing the progam there is for direct access. You could just simply place it in "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32" for an NT/XP system. The point is to make sure that all the paths for the files/folders are correctly inserted during execution.

edit - haven't looked at this lately, so you may need to (if this is what you are using) alter the BAT file accordingly...

Edited by submix8c

Well, then, here are specific intructions, tailored to your case. Follow them to the letter, and all ought to go well.

00) Search for "Acrobat.exe" and find the folder it's in. Let's call it "Acrobat Folder".

0) Confirm that you do have Adobe Reader v. 6.0.6: go to the Acrobat Folder folder, right-click on Acrobat.exe, choose Properties, then Version and confirm that it says "File Version: 6.0.6.2007010800" (without the inverted double commas), in the "Other version information" box. If it does not, update your version all the way up to 6.0.6;

1) Download the freeware command-line utils.zip (attached to the bottom of this post), from KanastaCorp, grab inside it just patch.exe and drop it into the C:\windows\command\ folder;

2) Download the acrofull.zip attached to post #1, grab inside it acrofull.pat and drop it into the Acrobat Folder;

3) Still in the Acrobat Folder, right-click on Acrobat.exe, choose Properties, uncheck the read-only attribute, click Apply and Close, change the .exe extension to .ori, go to Properties again and check once again the the read-only attribute, click Apply and Close;

4) Start a DOS box, go to Acrobat Folder folder, and run the following command from the DOS prompt:

patch -p Acrobat.ori acrofull.pat Acrobat.exe

5) Still in the Acrobat Folder, right-click on newly created Acrobat.exe, choose Properties, and set the read-only attribute.

6) Enjoy your nagless Reader! :yes:

Good luck!

NB: The patcher in post #21 does not apply to your case it's for Acrobat Reader, not Full or Pro.

utils.zip

hmm ok I guess my problem is I don't have a "command" folder under my "windows" folder. Am I completely missing something here?

I'm using Windows XP Professional.

edit-I just saw what submix posted. Would there be a problem if I just dropped patch.exe into the system32 folder?

Edited by lissa264

dencorso is giving you instructions for not-XP...

Replace the folder name specified in step#1 with "C:\Windows\SYSTEM32" (this folder is in the "path") and use all other instructions accordingly. On not-XP it's the functional equivalent (in-the-path). I did the same thing on an XP-type system...

BTW, the equivalent of DOS-box in XP is found in

All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt

Open it, enter the following -

CD "C:\Program Files\-theacrobatfoldername-"

and continue from there. (change above foldername to the foldername of the Adobe in question and use full quotes for folder name). Everything else is the same.

p.s. when awaiting a response within a topic, just press "Refresh" in the IE to get the "newer/updated" screen...

Edited by submix8c