Your network setup

My uses are different from yours, so please, GTFO my a**.
It’s these words you use, that´s why people re-act in a non-friendly way; you are asking for it yourself.

Just keep your foulmouthed voice down a bit else we have to do something about it. Your expressions are not accepted nor welcome like that.

Come on you guys, I'd rather not have my thread closed ;) Whatever works for your network is what you should use. If you've got questions or want to discuss something like routers vs. not routers, then start a different topic about it. Thank you. :hello:

So... here's a few pictures of my network. We now have an amazing home-made "server rack", which is basically one of those plastic paper organizer things, with the router and modem on the top "rack" and our USB HDD on the lower "rack". I call them the network rack and the data rack. See for yourself:

Picture%20008_thumb.jpg

Picture%20007_thumb.jpg

Copy%20of%20Picture%20009_thumb.jpg

Edited by Idontwantspam

I dont have a home network, computers i buy get stolen.

I have 2 monitors, 2 keyboard, and a mouse.

I also have 5-6 network cables. I gave away my wireless AP because I had no use in it.

Ghetto ey?

• 3 weeks later...

My network setup:

• MI424WR Verizon FiOS broadband router
  • MSHOME workgroup
  • FLARNNB (my laptop)
  • NORTON (family desktop)
  • Additional assorted laptops belonging to other family members
  • My iPod touch
  • HP Color LaserJet 2600n Ethernet printer

Edited by flarn2006

• 1 month later...

computer-network.png

Internet connection is 24Mbps down/8Mpbs up with 5 public IP addresses.

I use a (UPnP) NAT router anyway, so only 1 IP is typically used - but there is a switch connected to the cable modem so I can hook clients in there if another public IP is ever needed.

WLAN is WPA-encrypted, provided through the same GigE router, which simplified my network cabling a bit.

Client1 is my wife's primary machine, for gaming & graphics work.

Client2 is my machine, for gaming, debugging, etc.

Client3 is my wife's secondary machine for legacy apps that don't like 64-bit Windows (probably retiring soon as a gift to a friend).

Client4 is the machine in the guest bedroom for visitors, with a handful of games installed.

Server1 is my old client machine, acts as a file server primarily and is from where the Squeezebox streams its music, also runs Virtual Server as my sandbox for hotfix testing, debugging and "poking to see what it does" scenarios.

I have the website running in a VM for portability as I'm too lazy to try to figure out how to set up SQL Express every time I want to reinstall or upgrade the OS on the bare metal - once I upgrade my current rig it will become the new server, and is hypervisor-capable - that's the time at which I will have the website running on W2K8.

(Vista clients + W2K8 file server on GigE network using SMB 2.0 leads to very nice file transfer speeds - the XP client being wireless would not benefit much from an upgrade, it is rarely used and it's handy to have a legacy Windows client that isn't a VM for debugging.)

HTPC is a recent addition, replacing the DVD player and allowing playback of (all region) DVDs, HD-DVDs and BDs as well as streamed content.

XBox 360 Elite was the most recent addition, purchased for its HDMI output and in readiness for Fable II.

(Certain types of game just play so much better on a console & big screen TV, but I'll always use my PC for FPS & RTS games.)

Mr Snrub, whatever job you have that allows you to afford such computers, I want it.

Just leave the Vistrash out of it, and I'll be fulfilled in life.

edit: In fact, you know what, no, I just hate you (h'ehm... note the wink: ;)). A combination of envy and disgust...

Edited by Volatus

Mr Snrub, whatever job you have that allows you to afford such computers, I want it.

Just leave the Vistrash out of it, and I'll be fulfilled in life.

edit: In fact, you know what, no, I just hate you (h'ehm... note the wink: ;)). A combination of envy and disgust...

OK - I was gonna post mine here, but apparently that would be bad. I would be hated... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I recently installed Tomato on my WRT54GL. DD-WRT has some nice features that it likes, but I didn't use most of said features all that much anyhow. Tomato seems a bit cleaner, and ever so slightly faster. It also has bandwidth logs which are pretty and mesmerizing to watch. :)