Newbie - IE7 integration question

tanstaafl

Hi,

I'm new to nLite and creating integrated/customized CDs with nLite, but have slipstreamed many a Service Pack...

My question has to do with *when* to do certain things...

For example... since XP sp3 will NOT include IE7, and when Service Packs are applied they update only EXISTING files:

If I use nLite to integrate IE7, MP11 AND sp3, does nLite automatically know which order to do everything? Or do I need to first integrate IE7 and MP11 into my XP sources, then come back after that and slipstream sp3?

What about hotfixes that have already been applied? Does nLite have some way of determining if my sources already have certain hotfixes, and will skip these? What if I make a mistake, and attempt to apply a hotfix that replaces files that have already been updated by a more recent hotfix?

Thanks

Charles

I'm goin to tell you what I do, but keep in mind that there's maybe another better way, but I haven't had any troubles at all.

I'm not sure if SP2 is needed when you integrate SP3, but I do it anyway.

- First, I integrate SP2 on a clean XP source with nLite.

- Second, SP3 with nLite as well.

- Third, IE7 with nLite, and nothing else.

- Fourth, I use Boooggy's WMP11 Slipstreamer to include WMP11.

Those are the steps I take, and after that, I use nLite with all the addons, tweaks and stuff I have, and again, so far with no problems at all.

I recall reading from a post that Mr. Ricktendo64 suggested to use this addon instead of the original IE7 installer that you can download from the Microsoft Website.

Keep in mind I don't use RyanVM Post-SP2 addon to update my installation.

I hope it helps in some way.

rhor...

why did u integrate sp2 and then sp3? service packs are cumulative so sp3 integrates sp2 ........as sp2 integrates sp1 and so on....

tans

u can do everything in one row.

install nlite

install wmp 11 slipstreamer

copy your source to hard drive

then start nlite and add update pack, ie7 installer, ie7 hotfixes, wmp11 installer, wmp11 hotfixes.

also u can remove things u want, make unattended cd etc......

rhor...

why did u integrate sp2 and then sp3? service packs are cumulative so sp3 integrates sp2 ........as sp2 integrates sp1 and so on....

tans

u can do everything in one row.

install nlite

install wmp 11 slipstreamer

copy your source to hard drive

then start nlite and add update pack, ie7 installer, ie7 hotfixes, wmp11 installer, wmp11 hotfixes.

also u can remove things u want, make unattended cd etc......

Well, now that you tell me, I wont use SP2 anymore, hehe. That is something good to know, I dont know why I haven't tried that way before.

In what stage do you actually use your WMP11 Slipstreamer?, you said to integrate wmp11 installer and hotfixes with nlite, thats why I ask.

And I do step by step because I have this feeling that everything is goin to be "cleaner", but thats only me.

oki....

lets see

1. copy xp sp0 to hard drive

2. open nlite and select service packs and hotfixes, addons and update packs

3. add sp3

4. after sp3 slipstream is done go to the next stage (update pack, addons ie7 + hotfixes, wmp11 plus hotfixes)

thats it

ps dont forget to install wmp11 slisptreamer cause nlite is using it to integrate wmp11