UberKern

Tihiy

Firefox 3 Release Candidate 1 is out:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-rc.html

First post instructions apply to it as well. You may need to rename install program to short name.

RC1 generally works faster and better than Beta 5.

UberKern 0.3 is compatible with it. You still may need to disable malware checking if you experience disk trashing.

Note: you can't do partial auto-updating since patch binary is modified.

If possible, UberKern project is going to be terminated. Code will be ported to KernelEx. I'll post here when its fate is decided.

Good luck!

If possible, UberKern project is going to be terminated. Code will be ported to KernelEx. I'll post here when its fate is decided.

Good luck!

Tihiy, what is the eventual reason/s for cancelling this project? Xeno86 doesn't update his KernelEx regulary.

Good luck!

Tihiy, what is the eventual reason/s for cancelling this project? Xeno86 doesn't update his KernelEx regulary.

Maybe because he doesn't have time to work on it and needs to focus on more important things.

Edited by Th3_uN1Qu3

Good luck!

Perhaps because by porting it to KernelEx there would be no need to patch GTK+ Cairo binaries everytime an update comes along, or because this way other software that uses the same unsupported functions would work correctly on Win98.

Perhaps because by porting it to KernelEx there would be no need to patch GTK+ Cairo binaries everytime an update comes along, or because this way other software that uses the same unsupported functions would work correctly on Win98.

UberKern does not 'patch' code! It is an API wrapper only. Tihiy's comments:

...I DON'T modify Mozilla code and have _NO_ control over it!...

The point if it being a wrapper is no longer the point. Once integrated into KernelEx, there will no longer be any need to wrap such programs.

One such noticable bits is how FF3 required 'GetLastInput()' pre-patching which is one of the currently Missing API's through KernelEx that a few programs require. Such programs would be unlikely to also have a wrapper for it therefor allowing integration into KernelEx to satisfy such an API need.

Should it be integrated - it will help advance the development of KernelEx even further and might even take advantage of KernelEx's added support for Export Forwarding.

But! The version i've tried fails to start at all. Which - where - what should i InkScape?

Hmm... Inkscape 0.45.1 starts up fine, but most of the controls don't display any text.

Well, obviously it would be nice to have UberKern's compatibility already built into KernelEx, but only if that's actually going to happen, and be properly maintained.

Have you contacted Xeno86 on this matter? Has he agreed to merge UberKern code into KernelEx? Will you now be actively working on KernelEx?

I would certainly appreciate if you at least figure out this Inkscape thing before closing the project.

Hmmm .....

Is it possible to get Gnumeric running with UberKern???

http://www.gnome.org/projects/gnumeric/

My understanding was the it was GTK+ that prevented it from working with Win98.

I see libcairo-2.dll is included.

Tested about a week ago with v1.7.x and v1.9.x ... yes, they both will work but the toolbar icon gives solid red background on my tests ...

Last to work out-of-the-box with no problems is v1.6.3 ...

Rgds

I was too fast to say RC1 works okay - hotkeys and altgr-keyboard layouts may not work because of last-minute FF changes.

I've mostly finished porting UberKern to C (bye bye PB), so... therefore i declare original UberKern / patcher obsolete.

As soon as i'll finish APIs, test, convert them and contact Xeno86 you can expect Firefox 3 running on your desk with new KernelEx.

RC1 fix will be there.

I'll try to explore the possibilities to run other new GTK+ programs. UberKern may revive as a patcher for InkScape or Gnumeric or sth else.

Me and Xeno86 are exploring the possibilities of creating new KernelEx architecture.

If it goes well, you won't ever have to patch a program again and somehow violate some strange mind's license.

This is a really great news, Tihiy (except that minor problems with FF RC1).

I'm very glad to hear that you're working together. :thumbup

I'm pretty sure that cooperation of such talented people like you and Xeno will be great for our community! :D

:unsure: I try on Czech windows 98 SE - with UberKern / FF RC1 (CS - czech build): install properly, first run properly. :angry: New error: close FF3 and i try run ( and after restart Windows too) no properly start. With create new profil - run properly. Close this FF with new profil and with new start FF3 same problem - run only with create new profil.... :realmad: Why?

I'm curious if it is just me, I could be wrong however but with FF3 any opening of an OPEN dialog box (uploading, saving an image, etc) results in FireFox crashing. Also, viewing some pages that use transparency hides all text (which is plainly seen on many MySpace pages).

Any possible idea what could be causing this; such as whether it's FF3, UberKern, or other reason specific?.

I tried Uberkern and what's really strange is that Firefox 3 doesn't display any letters whatsoever...

Therefore it looks a little bit strange (and is useless):

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/1570/unbenanntlx8.jpg

That's strange, are you sure you are running Uberkern with the lastest version of KernelEx?

Edited by Chozo4