UberKern

Tihiy

Cluberti, would you address the "stopped" Firefox 3 thread soon, please; one way or the other. At least everyone would then know where we stood. I sincerely hope common sense will prevail. This is, after all freeware and open source we're talking about. One wonders sometimes...

<snip>If the FF people (an actual FF dev or a spokesperson) says you can make the binaries portable in this manner, then I don't think there will be any more noise from the mods here about it. Short of that, it's still in limbo. However, we've decided not to take any further actions with regards to this project, until there's word from the Firefox team directly on how they want to address it (if at all - again, this may be perfectly OK). <snip>

From the mozilla.support.firefox Newsgroup:

"An issue similar to this was just addressed in Navigator 9 where a user

wrapped NN 9 into a portable version. There is/was no legal issue

involved .. AND .. NN 9 isn't even open-source."

-- Jay Garcia Netscape Champion UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Also from another person:

"if it's just wrapping a binary from Mozilla, I don't think there's any

problem with calling the browser itself Firefox. Naming the wrapper

may be a stickier issue. I'm not a lawyer, so I won't hazard an

opinion. You might want to read some of the documents linked from

<http://www.mozilla.org/foundation/trademarks/index.html>. There's

also an e-mail address for trademark questions at the bottom of the

page."

Please see the whole thread at at the Newsgroup server 216.196.97.169 port 119 under "Firefox 3 on win98SE platform".

The naming /might/ be an issue. One experienced guy on that forum made the comment:

"...They [the Mozilla Foundation] may view this as a new Mozilla based product that should have an independent name."

On the other hand the Mozilla Foundation might not. Has anyone asked them? Anyway if it's just a question of naming the wrapper it can probably easily be resolved. As a matter of fact TiHiy always /did/ call the wrapper by another name, i.e. not Firefox; so there probably never was an issue.

Finally, to be perfectly candid with you, I hope that I'm not being a little too innocent here. And that behind all this (perhaps) understandable hesitancy on your part there is not a certain commercial entity which might not wish to see this solution advanced, and thus extend the effective usefulness of an "old" OS (?)

UberKern 0.2

- Fixed text output (multi-line text could be weird);

- Fixed non-existent glyph matching (some symbols were not displayed);

- Dummed UpdateLayeredWindow (scrolling arrow was not displayed);

- Fixed GetRandomRgn (trunk builds gfx was completely broken - note: they have other problems).

UberKern 0.2

- Fixed text output (multi-line text could be weird);

- Fixed non-existent glyph matching (some symbols were not displayed);

- Dummed UpdateLayeredWindow (scrolling arrow was not displayed);

- Fixed GetRandomRgn (trunk builds gfx was completely broken - note: they have other problems).

Many thanks TiHiy !

UberKern 0.3

- This version implements ToUnicode function which is needed to handle hotkeys in trunk Minefield builds as well as may be needed to correctly handle keyboard input with dead-keys (accent or diacritic).

As soon as i fixed this issue, other issues raise: now pictures are broken in latest-trunk. :huh:

There is also problem reported with sudden constant disk usage: if you monitor programs with FileMon, you'll notice lot of I/O on sqlite files.

The known workaround is to delete them :blink: i'm not sure why this bug is triggered.

Solution: you can turn off malware protection in about:config (dowloading URLs from Google) to work this bug around. For YOUR OWN RISK!!!

Edited by Tihiy

Win 98

Pentium III

Firefox 3 Beta 5

After a long drawn out installation so that it works, I installed Firefox 3 successfully. I started it up. Worked correctly on my profile. Closed it, add -no-remote -p to the shortcut. Went in, created a new profile FF3, and it worked. Closed FF2 and FF3 once more, and tried to reopen FF3, but it failed without giving a reason (though it said crash reporter couldn't open). Reopened FF2 and tried again. Failed once more.

Any possible help?

Edited by Havvi

Went in, created a new profile FF3, and it worked. Closed FF2 and FF3 once more, and tried to reopen FF3, but it failed without giving a reason (though it said crash reporter couldn't open). Reopened FF2 and tried again. Failed once more.

Yeah, crash. If you want to use Firefox2 and Firefox3 with different profiles (named FF2 and FF3 for example) you can run Firefox3' firefox.exe with parameter -p FF3 and Firefox2' firefox.exe with parameter -p FF2. This way it does not crash for me.

Meanwhile, i test trunk builds every day and must say they work as expected with 0.3.

You has a bug with the -no-remote flag
I does? I DON'T modify Mozilla code and have _NO_ control over it! I have no idea about flags or what FF3 does with them.

And no, you wrong. It will crash with just -p as well. -no-remote is flag meaning "let me open browser multiple instance with different profiles". I've answered you how to run (work around) it. If you want to have a profiles window pop up every time, sorry, it seems to be not possible now.

Edited by Tihiy

• 2 weeks later...

I got Inkscape to run, but all the menus, tooltips, dialog buttons, tab titles, combo boxes and lists had no text in them. Even spinners appeared empty. Window titles did appear fine, though.

Incidentally, is it supposed to say "Maybe OK"?

i want to say thanks a lot "Tihiy" :angel great work. :hello:

i am not using FF3 yet, but i know now the posibility to use it on win 98 is given.

just thought what is going to be after the last FF 2.xx version, now i know there is hope for win 98. B) :yes:

just great :)

Pong!

I would like to see a version which supports InkScape, sure.

But! The version i've tried fails to start at all. Which - where - what should i InkScape?