My Windows Vista vLite setup

RamGuy

I've tried to tweak my Windows Vista Ultimate x64 installation with vLite v1.6.6 RC

But some feedback would be appreciated :)

I've uploaded the vLite Present in this post, so you are able to download it and take a look.

My computer is mainly used for the regular stuff, like Windows Live Messenger, Webcam, web surfing (firefox), playing games (like Battle for Middle Earth 2, Age of Conan etc..), listen to music, synchronize my iPod Touch, watching movies etc..

When it comes to my computer components and drivers:

ASUS P5N32-E SLi nForce680i

MSI GeForce 8800GTS 640MB

2x Hitachi Dekstar 160GB S-ATA drives in RAID0

CREATIVE Audigy2 ZS

Logitech G5 and G15

Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000

All the drivers needed for those components I've got ready on a USB-disk, so I've removed all the I thought was unnecessary in the Vista installation. The S-ATA / IDE drivers I will simply integrate into the installation.

These are the usual stuff I install after a clean installation of Windows:

- Adobe Master Collection

- BearShare

- DAEMON-Tools

- Diskeeper

- DivX Pro (never been able to enter the serial for DivX with Vista 64bit?)

- DriveSweeper

- ESET NOD32

- FlashGet v1.73 tweaked with FlashGit RS 2.75

- HP LaserJET 1022nw drivers

- iTunes (for my iPod Touch)

- jv16 PowerTools

- K-Lite Standard Codec Pack (without MediaPlayer) (considering to replace this with Vista Codec Pack, and Vista Codec 64bit components?)

- Logitech SetPoint, QuickCam etc..

- Microsoft Office 2007 + Norwegian Language Pack

- Mozilla FireFox

- Mozilla Thunderbird

- Nero 8 Micro

- QuickTime (follows with iTunes)

- Real Alternative

- Xilisoft Video Converter

- VideoLAN (VLC MediaPlayer) (not working with Vista 64bit?)

- Windows Live Messenger tweaked with Mess / A-Patch + Messenger! Plus Live add-on

- WinRAR

- µTorrent 1.6.1

Also we've got additional stuff like:

- DirectX Update

- .NET FrameWork

- Internet Explorer 8.0 BETA

- IEPro add-on for Internet Explorer (though I never, and then mean never use Internet Explorer)

- Java (JRE)

- Adobe Flash Player

- Adobe Shockwave Player

- Adobe SVG Viewer

- Different add-ons for FireFox

- Silverlight

- Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable (required by some games and applications)

- Microsoft Visual J# Redistributable (required by some games and applications)

I think that's about it, if we ignore the games and drivers I install..

So that's more or less all the background information about what I'm doing on my computer, and what applications / stuff I normally install.

So what I'm trying to do is to create the best suited / tweaked / optimized Windows Vista installation for my use.

And that's why I need a little feedback on my vLite present, what do you think about it?

Have I removed something that I shouldn't remove?

Is there something else I can do to tweak it even more?

Other components to remove?

All feedback is welcome :)

A TCPIP.sys tweak / hack / crack would also be awesome, if it's possible to tweak it so it allows lots of connection "out-of-the-box". Because I'm sick and tired of having to edit the **** TCPIP.sys file every time I restart my computer.

Windows_Vista_vLite_Edition.ini

Windows_Vista_vLite_Edition_u.ini

Yeah, I know that.. But why bother?

That wont give me any sort of boost or advantage over installing it myself afterwards, would it?

It would just have to spend time fixing the WPI (which I haven't really studied that much), and also there will most likely be updates all the time. Like today we've got Java JRE Update 6, which means that my Vista installation would have installed an old version of JRE that I would needed to delete before installing the latest one..

I've been considering WPI a few times, but simply because most of the applications get updates all the time I don't really see the point.

The only things that I could WPI into the installation would be Adobe Master Collection, Office 2007, uTorrent 1.6.1, Windows Live Messenger, the .NET FrameWork and Visual stuff, BearShare, DirectX Update and FlashGet.

Everything else would most likely have been released in updated versions before I would even consider using the Vista installation disk again..

See my point?

Anyway, that wouldn't give me any sort of performance boost or anything, would it?

It would just "ease" my installations process?

- K-Lite Standard Codec Pack (without MediaPlayer) (considering to replace this with Vista Codec Pack, and Vista Codec 64bit components?)

- Real Alternative

Why are you installing all of those codecs if you're just going to use VLC? VLC uses internal codecs

- Real Alternative

Why are you installing all of those codecs if you're just going to use VLC? VLC uses internal codecs

Cuz' the more the merrier!

Anyways I'd recommend only to install VLC or switch to MPC with ffdshow as DSC/F. And ffdshow supports your Real whatever audio/video they now have. VLC works without any hassle on x64 (although I personally hate VLC)

Internet Explorer 8.0 BETA is awesome if your also using 2 different web browsers (inc FF). So 2 thumbs up for you. (*cough* *cough* sarcasm *cough*).

- IEPro add-on for Internet Explorer (though I never, and then mean never use Internet Explorer)

You have the option to permanently remove IE, did you even know that?

Anyways, I have nothing more to say than: The more the merrier! (sarcasm)

Dont even bother with any of those. Just get the CCCP and you will have all that you need. I cant believe I didnt know abou that for the longest time! VLC is great but for serious users who want an awesome glitchfree experience CCCP is the way to go.