New IBM ThinkPad T42

Springdale

Hello fellow windows 9x users! Before I ask about my freebie questions I would love to point how great this forum is and so many people like myself that still love windows 9x! I love windows 9x because it's easy to use for everyday internet tasks, games, and even to watch some video. I just purchased the ThinkPad T42 because it's the last notebook disturbed by IBM that supports Windows 98 (Could of gotten a T42P with better graphics, but it's not support.). Again, Great place
:thumbup
and I want to give a special hello to Tihiy!
:blushing:

So my main question is the best way of doing a windows 98se setup? There are so many patches and updates to choice from I don't know where to start
:whistle:
. Should I even bother with Windows Updates or should I go ahead and install windows 98se SP1? Anybody have any advise on the type of patches they done to get the best performance out of Windows 98se? Or maybe I should take a stab at Windows Me since it's the latest OS out of the 9x group? Do I install the drivers first or wait till I patch 98se fully?

Thanks all in advance! I can't wait to use windows 98se as my mainstream platform for my daily usage! Should be putting this in my signature, but here are the specs of my ThinkPad. Hope it will perform under 98se well?!
:unsure:

IBM ThinkPad T42:

• Pentium M 745 1.8GHz Processor
  • 1GB RAM
  • 80GB 5400rpm HDD
  • 14.1 SXGA+(1400x1050) TFT LCD
  • 64MB ATI Radeon 9600 AGP 4x
  • 24x24x24x/8x CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive
  • Intel 802.11b/g wireless(MPCI)
  • Bluetooth/Modem(CDC)
  • 1Gb Ethernet(LOM)
  • UltraNav
  • Secure Chip
  • Fingerprint Reader
  • 6 cell Li-Ion Battery
  • Windows XP Professional (Windows 98se of course! ;) )

So far so good! Right now I'm using soporific autopatcher right now.. The patch disabled the windows 98boot screen.. Anybody know how to enable it again? Thanks :-)

EDIT: Never mind, I just done another full system install again because some IBM drives require me to go through updates first. This time I will just do the clean install, window updates, and look at MDGx updates which icludes the SP for 98 Second Edtion.

Edited by Springdale

Oh! *Hugs Xeno86* Thank you so much, just what I always wanted! It seems like I have the Atheros miniPCI wifi adapter and the second hardware device has to do with ACPI "ACPI\*ATM1100, *ATM1100".

Also Xeno86, would you recomend the best way to patch windows 98 after a clean install?

I've done these steps:

1. Install windows 98se with cabs already on the hard drive

2. Windows updates

3. Unoffical Windows 98Se SP 3.0

if you know of any tweaks that would be great ^_^

• 1 year later...

Hey Springdale, glad you're still enjoying 9x!

I just can't keep away from it.

You could try the all-in-one 98SE installer, The Unattended Boot CD for Windows 98se v4.8:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=88008

Let us know how the ThinkPad turns out with 9x.

This Link Have PROBLEM ,

Please do something

I cant see it

please put another Link

This Link Have PROBLEM ,

Please do something

I cant see it

please put another Link

First, welcome to the forums :).

Second, bolding sections of your post is equivalent to using all caps, aka "shouting". Please remember forum etiquette when posting, and only "shout" when necessary. Thank you.

• 10 months later...

I beg your pardon for bumping this old topic and at the same time stealing the post, but it has such a good title that it is easily found by google and fits perfectly my question:

Does the driver from Lenovo for Win98SE support the ATI 9600 mobility card in Thinkpad T42 or not?

Because they state that Thinkpad T42 supports Win98SE. Though there is also a footnote to the driver that Win ME is not supported. I wondered if it means ME and anything older or just ME. I'm asking because I wanna buy a T42 too, just for Win98 (games) and Linux (work).

Edited by BelowNormal

Guest wsxedcrfv

Just a slight tangent here to this resurrected thread. I was reading these last few posts here in this thread and came across Xeno's post about Everest, so I downloaded and tried it. It doesn't run. I get "The NETRAP.DLL file is linked to missing export NTDLL.DLL - RtlInitAnsiString" when I try to run it. Even if I disable KernelEx extensions for everest.exe.